Sign in to follow this  

Vintage KTM

I have a vintage 1975 KTM 250 MC5. I have owed it since 1978 and have put a ton of miles on it when I was a kid. I bought a new Yamaha YZ250 in 1980 and the KTM went into storage in my dads shed. I forgot all about it. Thought my dad had got rid of it years ago. Much to my surprise, I was helping dad with some yard work and I found it buried under a ton of old crap that had been piling up in the shed for years. It will need a little TLC to bring her up to shape but it was running when I stored her so it shouldn't need any major repairs. I have found access to parts and have a good idea of cash outlay for that part. I know I'll have to pay a ton of fees to re-register it. My only concern is the value of the bike. I have no idea what its worth and if I should spend the cash to revive her or not. Anyone have any idea what this old girl is worth?

Thanks, Kevin

It will not be expensive to register. After 5 years the DMV deletes the bike from it's files. No back registration or penalties. It may only be $50 or so to get re-registered. The DMV will need to see the bike to do the VIN verification.

If it's just a rat bike then no more than $500 or so. Seems any running bike gets about that much. Maybe more if it is a desirable bike for vintage racing.

Where did you find parts for this bike?

I was told after 10 years the bike drops off the DMV records. But that might be for a plated bike.

If it were a Penton, it might have more value. It really depends on the condition of the bike. Post some photos here and on KTMTalk.com.

Finding a KTM rider that had one as a kid and wants a collector bike is going to get more money. Or if it can be raced in the Vintage class.

It will not be expensive to register. After 5 years the DMV deletes the bike from it's files. No back registration or penalties. It may only be $50 or so to get re-registered. The DMV will need to see the bike to do the VIN verification.

If it's just a rat bike then no more than $500 or so. Seems any running bike gets about that much. Maybe more if it is a desirable bike for vintage racing.

Where did you find parts for this bike?

Cleonard,

$50 would be cool if thats all it takes to get it registered. The bike is in really good condition. It still has all the original fiberglass panels and stickers.

I'll only need to recover the seat, replace the grips and tires and it would look new. I'm planning to totally go through the bike as I'm sure it needs new bearing ,seals, gaskets, etc... so I'm hoping to get much more than $500! If I sell it at all, may try my hand at running it at a vintage race :thumbsup:

As for parts, I found most everything I need at www.pentonpartsusa.com.

Kevin

Bottom line on restore value......what's it worth TO YOU? I know I'de spend much more restoring my old SL70 if I ever found it than restoring another one like it. Having the bike you actually grew up on is worth alot in itself.

The NADA Antique, Classic and Special Interest Appraisal guide only goes back to 1976 for KTM, but it lists Penton 250's of 1975 vintage as high as $2900 in absolutely pristine condition.

The point of restoring and or getting an old bike like your KTM running is not the value of the bike if you sell it, but the fun and sense of accomplishment of doing it. The value to you.

The bike fits in the AHRMA Post Vintage MX and Cross Country rules structure and riding AHRMA is a GAS!

I would STRONGLY advise you to replace the crank seals before you run the engine. You don't want to spend time and money on all of the obvious stuff and then seize the engine because the crank seals are rotted and sucking air and leaning out the fuel air mixture so much your piston and cylinder become one solid peice!