Sign in to follow this  

'06 YZ 250 owners

I have an '01 YZ 250 that's been the best bike I've ever owned. However, I've seen some great deals on '06's and maybe it's time for a change. My question is: How much better are the new 250's compared to mine? Do the improvements justify the whole expense/headache of buying/selling? My bike is in excellent mechanical shape and has: Pro Circuit pipe/silencer, Race Tech suspension, carbon fiber reeds, X-ring chain, new Dunlops, new sprockets, and a FWW. I know I would take a beating on the sale, but if it's worth it I'll do it. Ideally, I'd like an opinion from someone who's owned both. I'm a vet B rider who really never races anymore. All of my buddies have switched to 4stks. so I can't really ride one to figure it out for myself! I apologize for the long post and appreciate any responses!-THANKS!

I as well have an 01 with everything on it redone by REP. I have ridden the 06 and the only really difference i can tell is that it just feels newer. Im sure you know what i mean by that. Just newer bottom line. My bike is way faster with the 15 grand i have tied up in the motor and suspenion alone. Like momma always said dude. Stick with what you know you like. Best word of advice. You know u got a fast great reliable bike now. If you get an 06 it will be the same if not a little slower and you will be putting yourself through all of that headace. If it were up to me. I wouldnt do it.

Todd

I as well have an 01 with everything on it redone by REP. I have ridden the 06 and the only really difference i can tell is that it just feels newer. Im sure you know what i mean by that. Just newer bottom line. My bike is way faster with the 15 grand i have tied up in the motor and suspenion alone. Like momma always said dude. Stick with what you know you like. Best word of advice. You know u got a fast great reliable bike now. If you get an 06 it will be the same if not a little slower and you will be putting yourself through all of that headace. If it were up to me. I wouldnt do it.

Todd

Put $15K in an '06 and then compare them....

the newer yzs handle a lot better just due to the way the frame flexes (or doesnt flex) my 05 yz250 turns under my 01 yz125 without a problem.

I cant compare my 06' to an 01-02 YZ250 as I've never ridden one, but I can compare it to a YZ426, WR450, 97 CR250 and many other bikes I've had an oppertunity to abuse lately. There is no comparison. This is the best handling, torquiest, balls to the wall 250 class bike I've ever had the priviledge of riding. I'm having trouble finding faults with it.

I've got a friend with an '01 and one with an '06. I've ridden both bikes. The '06 walked all over the '01 as far as power goes, and that was with a 9oz FWW. The '06 did feel more light and flickable. Suspension, dunno. Wasn't riding anything too rough.

If you can find a sweet enough deal and swing it, I say go for it. Nothing like that new bike feeling.

BTW, I saw a new '06 being advertised for like $4700 around here.

The 06 is a bit lighter. You would need a scale to tell the difference while riding the bikes.

I prefer the new plastic shape to the old (96-01) design. The notable difference is how little the gas tank gets in the way with the new bike.

The engines are very similar. There are small internal changes, but you would need a manual to tell the difference.

A lot of the differences could be chalked up to personal preferance.

The HUGE difference is in the front suspension. You can put a grand into the older forks (I did) and they will not be equal to what the 06 is supplied with in stock form.

The HUGE difference is in the front suspension. You can put a grand into the older forks (I did) and they will not be equal to what the 06 is supplied with in stock form.

This info alone should help you make your decision. The '01 is a great bike. I loved mine! However, the suspension on both ends of the '06 & '07 is close to works spec. I know it's not works, but it is light years closer than the '01 KYB offering.

Yes you will take a hit when you sell your bike. It is a 2 stroke and it is 6 model years old. Some of your extras may transfer over to the new model. If they don't, put the stock stuff back on and sell them here or on EBAY to reduce your costs.

Science is right. I sold my 97 for a decent amount because I stripped the trick stuff off and sold it seperatly.