Sign in to follow this  

DRC in line resistors, or IC relay?? Help!!

I purchased an Edge tail light package, and turn signals from Forrest at Freewheeling, and also copped both the in line resistors, and the IC relay. I plan on adding these right away, and adding some flush mount LED's to the from of my Acerbis Blitz headlight in the future...my question is this- which is the best way to go, in line resistors, or the IC relay? Also, how do I install these? the in line units look simple enough, but I have heard that the blinkers will still blink fast,and that I'll have to do the same when I add the front blinkers?! As for the IC relay, it is different than the ones I've read up on other peoples posts...it has a ground wire...where is this to go to?? Any info, and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fabian.

u don't need those inline resistors or the IC relay...just go to your local auto parts store and get a 2 prong electronic flasher,,wire it into the relay switch behind the headlight shroud..your flashers will work fine..here's how...............1. remove headlight shroud and locate the square black relay box on the headlight frame, unhook it and take it apart,(two pieces)this how it looksP10121151.jpg 2. Locate the light blue and the orange wires and unplug them from the relay switch.( u need a small screw driver to insert into the end , then they just pop out easily, )looks like this..P10121171.jpgP10121181.jpg 3. now connect the new electric flasher to the blue and orange relay wires(good idea to solder and heat shrink the connections)P10121221.jpg ..4. put the relay switch back together and remount it and tuck the flasher in with the other wiring behind the headlight,,,now your done...

drzdave58,

The IC relay that I have looks almost exactly the same as the one you have pictured, except that it has three wires, not two. It came with instructions, except they are mighty vague. I'd like to utilize the DRC unit if possible, as I paid $18 US for it. If I can't get it to work, I'll go the route you suggest.

Anyone else out there know how the DRC unit works?

I made the mistake of buying the IC relay also. The directions are horrible!!! I like the DRC product, but they need better directions, and in ENGLISH if they want to sell more products. Lots of unhappy folks

I too bought the DRC relay. I have it at home in my spares box if you need an extra. Wasn't worth the time to figure out, the electronic flasher method above cost me less than 10 bucks and took about 15 minutes. Plus it has the added benefit of making a real loud clicking noise when the signals are on. :thumbsup:

I got the relay a week or so ago..The must have updated there direction cause i thought it was pretty easy to install..Seems to work fine.

Is there a difference between a flasher and an electronic flasher? I just bought a 12V Buss 552 Flasher, Two Terminal, 2 to 6 Bulb from Walmart for $2 to fix my fast blinking LED lights.

Will this flasher work, or do I need to find an electronic flasher?

Thanks

What flasher works... It depends on the design of the flasher.

There are two types (not readily apparent sometimes)

Load dependant and load independant. Either of these can be electronic or mechanical.

You need a load independant flasher. The LED flashers draw too little current to 'trip' the flasher.

A electroninc is preferred over the mechanical as electronics tend to either not work from day one or work for ever. The mechanical ones at some point, will fail.

The only good thing about a load dependant flasher is that if a bulb (not LED) were to burn out, the flash rate on the side with the bad bulb would increase and if the driver was paying any attention, might notice the increase in the flash speed on that side and think about checking the bulb.

Thank you Dave!!

It has been posted many that this mod can be performed and fix the fast blinking. Before now it was words that sailed over my poor numb dumb head.

I've read it many times and just shrugged my shoulders because I did not know the who, what, when , where.

With your photos, even I can fix the fast blink, now!! Thanks!!

The IC relay needs to be grounded in order to work. I have been trying to get the manufacturer to do better at their english instructions, sometimes I actually do it for them, but, the Edge tail lights are still coming to me with just japanese directions, I add the english version myself when I package them for shipping, that is why you get a bag inside a bag from me.

Thanks,

Fg

Hey, I used this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6V-12V-Adj-Flash-Rate-Electronic-LED-Flasher-Relay_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33713QQihZ004QQitemZ140082816425QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

decent price, quick shipping and it works great.....I have a good blink rate and can post a video if you want....

I used the ground on the empty wire in the harness on my sm....and did the wiring according to the blinker relay thread w/pics.

works great.

I got the same electronic flasher (EL-12) that is shown in the photo and hooked everything up and I when I turn on the blinker the signal lights stay solid? Why would this be happening, is there something I missed?

Possibilities:

Wires reversed

Incorrect wires

Bad Flasher

I must have a bad EL-12 because I have everything hooked up correct. What sucks is that I threw away the receipt so I probably will not be able to return it.:bonk: