Sign in to follow this  

Been whining about it long enough

time to actually do something. And you guys can help too. From what I have read in the 87912032934710293108932472398 gear threads, nobody likes pastels. Has anybody told the manufacturers yet?

Looking at the 07 riding gear, it looks like nearly all the manufacturers have dropped any color offerings besides pink, powder blue, purple, etc. MSR does offer a “silver” color scheme and Thor a white and maroon one, but they both contain WAY too much white for real trail riding.

I don’t know if this is wanting to have my cake and eat it too, but I really do prefer the fit of women’s gear—at least the pants—and a few years ago, you could get it in blue, red, yellow, gray, black.

I know there’s probably lots of women who like pastels, and I don’t think the companies should drop their “girly” color offerings. But I do wish they would give a CHOICE of at least one non-frou frou color even if it’s gray or black.

I also think most people are going to agree with me. So here’s what I propose: I looked up the e-mail addresses of the manufacturers. I want you guys to write them a letter explaining how they could improve their color selection. If we flood them with responses, maybe they’ll listen. I know most of us bitch about the colors, but bitching to each other isn’t going to change anything.

I don’t want to type up a form letter for you guys to copy and paste, because unfortunately they carry less weight than an individually written letter. Still, if you dash off even a few lines on how much you hate pink and baby blue, maybe they’ll perk up and listen.

Cross-post this on other forums you go to.

Thanks gals!

E-mail addresses of manufacturers:

bige@answerracing.com

tech@oneal.com

info@thormx.com

customerservice@foxracing.com

Below, an example of what I am sending. Again, do NOT copy this; use parts of it you like, but please, write your own.

To whom it may concern:

I am writing in regards to the color selections in the women’s line of gear.

I realize that many women like the pastel colors you offer, but I argue that many more do not. Most of the riders I talk to and ride with would prefer a more neutral color, and I agree.

I see that most manufacturers are offering pinks, purples, baby blues or a white combo for the 07 gear selections. I urge your product designers to add a darker, more neutral color: Gray, red, navy blue, orange, green, yellow. Not all women like pastels, and for those of us who ride in muddy climes or places like Utah and Colorado with a lot of red dust, we have a practical consideration as well. Those pale blues and pinks and ESPECIALLY white all stain horribly.

When women’s gear first came out, before any of the big-name companies even offered it, color selections were red, blue, yellow, purple, gray. None were light colors. Then when Fox, Acerbis and MSR jumped on the bandwagon, there was blue and yellow, blue and red, gray and black, etc. All of which were well-cut, fit the feminine form better … and did not have flowers, cursive script or pastel colors on them. I have some of these early offerings I am preserving since I will not buy the latest, trendy, over-feminine designs.

I like to look nice as much as any other RIDER, male or female. I also appreciate the more comfortable and flattering fit of women’s gear, specifically pants. However, I do not want to wear pastels—and there are thousands of other female riders who feel the same.

Many women riders, especially the more serious and those who race, won’t buy women’s gear specifically due to the color choices.

I would suggest keeping the pastel colors, but adding some more choices for the rest of us.

Thank you,

Sharla Sikes

they've even made some ugly ass color schemes for the men too, but at least they have "normal" colors to choose from too!

Oh, now come on FC.....we're supposed to wear pink and frilly colors so the men know to be nice to us during a race. Ya know....pass nicely and help us start our bikes and stuff.

Would you just behave and go get some pink gear. I have the prettiest bows that you'll love.....and the PERFECT shade of nail polish!

I will NOT write a letter until my boyfriend tells me I can.....so THERE!!!!!!!

peace,

janette

I'd rather have purple, THANK you very much. And sequins, not bows.

OH and on a more serious note:

I'd urge all of us who are in the market for gear to consider some of the slightly more expensive, non-name brand companies like Sick Racing, Girlyz Racing and ohhh there's a 3rd one that's escaping my mind right now. They have some funky colors, but they do have plain black as well.

hey, its worth the few minutes to drop them an email. Fox already responded to mine, it took em less than an hour.

(actually, i requested that they provide the matching nail polish and bows, who they hell wants an off shade of pink polish that dosent quite match your gear!!??) :thumbsup:

I will get right on writing . My daughter wont wear them either, and to add a little more, Im no too impressed with monkey looking gear for men. I guess it is ok for racing, where your sponsors want you to stand out, but as a rider who is in it just for fun, I would prefer tamer looking gear.

Ok, this is what I sent to fox. Before I send it out to the rest, tell me what you think.

I got my daughter a quad. I then took her down to the M/C shop to get some gear. What we left with was a helmet(one of yours) and nothing else. She is at the age where she doesnt want to wear "barbie doll" colors, and she doesnt want to wear boys clothes. The new lines were due out soon, so we decided to see what would be available. It was pretty much the same from all of the manufacturers. What would be nice would be to have female cut gear without the powder puff image.

Thank you for reading my opinion.

John Murphy

Las Vegas, Nv

Gotta say I'm with ya on the frilly colors... booooo.

I'll probably type something up as well.

I dont like pink either!!! I actually got a 30 mens Fox Honda red pants and a matching jerzy that fit pretty good...loose in the hind end..no wedgies...sinch up waist strap and comfortable to ride in.

If you can find men's pants that fit well, more power to you. I find that the butts are WAY too loose and ride up or move around more, even with shorts underneath--and my butt is NOT small!

Even if you are happy with other pants, consider writing a letter so Fox knows why you won't buy their pants.

Also, cross-post this anywhere else you go; MXgirls, motodrive, motocross.com, whatever other sites there are. Your local sites too. I already put it on DRN and KTMtalk. I don't have usernames anywhere else.

WHITE... Come on... the mud around here is like glue, it penetrates everything.

Baby Blue, Lavender, Pink.. yuck. That might be fine if you just sit on your bike and look pretty.

I suppose if you only ride in dusty conditions it's okay but I won't go anywhere near those color combinations.

I wear ill fitting men's gear cause I can't stand the female gear. So far the only female gear I have seen that I like is the TLD OTB in black. There is some pink but it's tolerable.

Fox had some OTB's in Black but there is no way they would stand up to the trail abuse around here.

Oh, now come on FC.....we're supposed to wear pink and frilly colors so the men know to be nice to us during a race. Ya know....pass nicely and help us start our bikes and stuff.

Would you just behave and go get some pink gear. I have the prettiest bows that you'll love.....and the PERFECT shade of nail polish!

I will NOT write a letter until my boyfriend tells me I can.....so THERE!!!!!!!

peace,

janette

Can I have some bows too? Please? :thumbsup:

Oh come on, don't you want to look like an Easter Egg in a side hack.

We can paint your helmet all pretty to match too.

Can I have some bows too? Please? :thumbsup:

Oh come on, don't you want to look like an Easter Egg in a side hack.

We can paint your helmet all pretty to match too.

Sidecars ALREADY look like Easter Eggs!!!!!!!!

Most of them come from Europe....and they get shipped over here with some of the most HIDIOUS color combos.

I am currently trying to "Americanize" the color combos on our practice rig. it's a blue frame, yellow, green, and white plastics.

I wanted to change it all to pink....hot pink. I want to do the same to my 500. Both will be "loaners".....and I'd just get so much demented enjoyment out of watching guys ride a pink rig or a pink 500.

Yeah.....I did get a new helmet lately....why do you ask? :applause::applause::applause::applause::ride:

peace,

janette

Well ...me being a male...i wish that they had pink guys gear...or atleast i havent seen any...lol...i would like to have som nice pink...and pastel green for me personally....this is no joke either...it would be too great to demasculate people..and by this i mean other guys... as i do really good in a race while wearing pink clothes....that would be great...i too also understand...what ur talking about...my sister has to order boys junior clothes b/c the girlly clothes get nasty and stain with the mud we throw...

Not only are the colors a big deal, but they way they size women's riding gear... I'm sure I'm not the only Mom who likes to go riding, and as any mother knows, our bodies aren't typically a size 4 again after the baby.... Of course I don't remember ever being a size 4. So, not to be picky, but they need to make more gear for the larger lady, and definatly not in pink. I like pink, but it's just not for my figure... Nothing better than looking like a piggy on a dirt bike... hahaha... Thank you for getting those e-mail addresses, as it makes 1/2 opinionated people like me more likely to respond if I don't have to go through the hassle to look it all up myself...

What matters most to me is fit and function. I could care less if I was color coordinated, so if it was pink and performed like I wanted it to, that would work for me. Of course I might have to blast through a mud hole or two...

Isn't not wanting to wear pastels the same as wanting to wear pastels?

Not only are the colors a big deal, but they way they size women's riding gear... I'm sure I'm not the only Mom who likes to go riding, and as any mother knows, our bodies aren't typically a size 4 again after the baby.... Of course I don't remember ever being a size 4. So, not to be picky, but they need to make more gear for the larger lady, and definatly not in pink. I like pink, but it's just not for my figure... Nothing better than looking like a piggy on a dirt bike... hahaha... Thank you for getting those e-mail addresses, as it makes 1/2 opinionated people like me more likely to respond if I don't have to go through the hassle to look it all up myself...

Yes! I want the pleated front tummy area on a pair of riding pants!

peace,

janette