Sign in to follow this  

Wanted-Calif.-strt.-legal, air-cooled, e-start,Dual Sport

I'm looking to buy a California street-legal, air cooled, dual sport, estart,250-450cc bike in great condition (many of us are?!).

Thanks.

DSWA,

Zook '94-on spec "Dually" noted. Thanks also for tech-savvy search tips---will take me awhile to absorb...

i have a 2002 ktm 520 mxc for sale in a couple of weeks, title says motorcycle on it so dmv wont ever know that it is a dirt bike. problem is i plan on price gouging since it is so tough now days to own a dualsport, and since everybody else is asking so high. i am a yzf guy not ktm so it has to go. plus i dont have a license. let me know

i've got a CA street legal crf230 in good condition. its in sunland (so cal, near burbank). what is it worth tp you>

please e-mail directly (i don't check this forum often)

thanks,

mrowen@pacbell.net

There is a XR250 for sale on the D37 message board,,,,Add about $900 worth of OEM Quad Stuff and you can convert it to E-start

Curious,,,,

Why is Air-cooled such a big deal?

Thousands of us are running Liquid cooled bikes with no issues

Edit:

After reflection I think you're asking the Manufacturers to build one, not Us to find you one,,,

I wouldn't count on ever seeing an "Air cooled" bike again, now that the XR400 is gone. I believe stricter emissions regs has much to do with the Air-cooled bikes extinction

TR:

Air-cooled is big for me as a matter of preference--I hate radiators/hoses/water pumps/corrosion/cooling system maintenance & am more into having fun/low maintenance/high-reliability/hi-crashworthiness than into racing. You might be right about air-cooled extinction due to emissions standards, but what if efi became standard? Would efi system compensate for the more-variable engine temperatures/emissions of air-cooled, and do so at lower-cost & higher reliability/lower maintenance than with liquid-cooled? We might just circle back a bit? Just a thought....

Well, my buddy had a dr350 e-start and when ever we'd go riding the darn thing would get hot and stall on him, my water cooled bike would just sit there and purr like a kitten happy as can be,,,, It really depends on what kind of riding you want to do I guess, but in my opinion that bike isn't very trail worthy,, running around town and down the dirt roads it's fine

TR:

My experiences have included crunching radiators, cutting hoses, water pumps failing, etc. & (especially,non-fan-equipped) pumpers boiling over---none of which can happen with air-cooled. I'd rather have a tucked-in oil cooler. Most bikes in hot conditions with insufficient air flow would overheat, no?

Just relaying my limited experience with my buddy's DR,, Not trying to condemn all of them. But don't get me started on the suspension,, or lack there of

Now the xr400 is probably the most reliable desert bike ever made,,, To bad they never made them with a button,,,, With about $900 worth of parts you can build an e-start system for one thou,,, Money well spent if you can find a legally plated one

Good luck

p.s.

I just added the fan kit to my 450 exc ;-)

It Is 100% Dot Street Legal And Is Liquid Cooled.

Well, my buddy had a dr350 e-start and when ever we'd go riding the darn thing would get hot and stall on him, my water cooled bike would just sit there and purr like a kitten happy as can be,,,,
Not sure that's an air-cooled vs liquid-cooled issue or you are simply comparing an old bike in need of a tune up to a late model machine? Some of these air-cooled bikes have been around a long time. Can't say if the same will apply to a lot of current ones...for reasons that have nothing to do with liquid cooling!

My experiences have included crunching radiators, cutting hoses, water pumps failing, etc. & (especially,non-fan-equipped) pumpers boiling over---none of which can happen with air-cooled.
Those were the circa-1982 comments that were floating around when the first liquid cooled enduro bikes came out. But it was all for naught. Everyone forgot that some of the most reliable engines out there are liquid cooled, which actually helps reliability and durability...while air cooled engines don't boil over, everything INSIDE is cooking! :thumbsup: