Sign in to follow this  

Oceana Dunes

I'm going this Labor day weekend to Oceana Dunes. I've never been there. Wanted to know what are the rules about dirt bikes (flag and tires). Any suggestions about nearby hotels. And how low should I put my tires, I'm not buying new paddle tires. Using the 756 Dunlops. Never riden in dunes. All advice is appreciated.

http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=1207

I dont know much about the hotels, but I do remember one that was pretty close to the beach. You could probably look it up on google. As for tires, I'd say 8 psi. you want to go as low as possible without losing the bead. Paddle tires can always be found cheap on ebay, just in case you decide to run one. And yes flags are required.

i would suggest not going this weekend...it will be SUPER CROWDED!!! the riding area isn't very big, but it's lots of fun. don't know about hotels, i'll never pass up the chance to camp on the beach(that's what makes up for the small riding area). they do require a flag and spark arrestor, and green sticker(til october). i've never ridden the dunes w/out a paddle, but i would say run less than 10lbs, and keep your speed up. if you go down at the bottom of a bowl, it might be hard to get out, just pin it and you'll be fine. watch out for the ya-hoo's, and be careful.

1. It's crowded beyond being safe. You have renters, who don't have a clue.

The 10 year olds who never turn their heads to look at traffic. 4x4 vehicles, rails, buggies all running around the 'postage stamp' size OHV area.

2. Hard on the machines, whether you use a paddle or knobby tire.

With the knobby you use sustained high rpm to keep on top.

With the paddle tire you subject the engine and drive trail to a constant changing of load.

All these same forces are applied no matter what type of terrian your riding, but the paddle tire really enhances the wear process with contant load changes.

3. The moist salt air will get into everything, and you will see rust on all exposed metal within hours.

4. The Labor Day Holiday weekend will make it crowded beyond being safe.

What a hole... we should sacrifice it up to the 'greenies' just to get them to leave the better riding areas alone for a while.

Labor Day weekend will be very crowded, and camping reservations have been sold out for months. $270 fine if you get caught camping without one.

The sand is very fine and deep this time of year; it would be hard to get around very well on a bike without paddles.

Pismo is the only reason I own a quad! We need to get the riding area expanded back to what it used to be so that we can get away from all the "campers" and idiots on the beach, and make it safer to ride the dunes.

We've gotta fight the tree huggers for every grain of sand!

Friends of Oceano Dunes www.oceanodunes.org

I'm going this Labor day weekend to Oceana Dunes. I've never been there. Wanted to know what are the rules about dirt bikes (flag and tires). Any suggestions about nearby hotels. And how low should I put my tires, I'm not buying new paddle tires. Using the 756 Dunlops. Never riden in dunes. All advice is appreciated.

You can ride with out a paddle, but it is a little tough to get going and turn

Lots of fun if you like getting sideways

Flag needs to be on bike 8 feet off the ground. They sell them on the main strip

Labor day weekend is busy and camping is sold out but

you can get day use 'til 11pm.

Labor day is a cool time to go out, lots of cool things to look at. Rails, trucks, kinda like a car show

before the trailer I used to stay at;

Rose Garden Inn in Grover,

but you can stay anywhere from Pismo Beach, Grover area to San luis Opisbo (sp) or Morro Bay. There is always room there and only 15 miles or so.

If you do go out, come on over an say Hello.

Black 4 door Chevy truck, Carson white toybox with a scooby doo flag and a cocktail flag... I will be parked in the back (dune side not ocean side), right as the dunes open up, in between mile markers 3 and 4. Close to the first stationary bathroom ( The single one)

There will also be a Lifted Ford Super Duty, and Green Wrangler

We can show you around the place. :thumbsup:

The sand is going to be loose and chewed up that weekend, rough and choppy at the base of the dunes. There are going to be a lot of people and it's going to be crowded. You need to have a flag and a helmet at all times. No riding double unless the vehicle was designed for two riders. The idiots are going to be everywhere, people who rarely get out of the concrete jungle and they go nuts we they see a piece of open sand. I highly suggest running a paddle tire, you are not going to enjoy the ride other wise. If you are taking the family call the "San Luis Bay Inn" in Avila, California. It is only a 15-20 drive from the dunes and is away from all the noise. The rooms are setup like apartments with kitchens and the facility is resort like with a golf course on one side and the ocean on the other.

I used to go to the dunes with my buddies once a month mid-week. There would be nobody out there, we had it all to ourselves. We would ride all morning and early afternoon looking for the best jumps and doubles. About 3pm we would head back to camp and throw some meat on the fire to slow cook in tin foil while we go swimming and body surfing. The water is cold, but it feels real good on the sore muscles and bones from riding. Then we would take a quick shower before dinner. A big tri-tip burrito with chili beans and a cold cervesa finished of the day. Sit around the fire and tell lies (I jumped at least 150' on that last dune) with your buddies. Later, crawl into bed and let the waves sing you to sleep, it was heaven. It pretty hard to ever find a day at Pismo that isn't crowded anymore, the place is just to popular.

Have a safe trip and be careful, the single razor backs kinda sneak up on you.

Labor Day weekend will be very crowded, and camping reservations have been sold out for months. $270 fine if you get caught camping without one.

The sand is very fine and deep this time of year; it would be hard to get around very well on a bike without paddles.

Pismo is the only reason I own a quad! We need to get the riding area expanded back to what it used to be so that we can get away from all the "campers" and idiots on the beach, and make it safer to ride the dunes.

We've gotta fight the tree huggers for every grain of sand!

Friends of Oceano Dunes www.oceanodunes.org

WORD, we want "Devils Slide" back! The area was originally set aside for OHV use, that is what the whole area is for OHV. Everyone that goes to Pismo should buy a FoOD (Freinds of Oceano Dunes) shirt or sticker and donate and extra five or ten bucks. Gene, Butch and the rest of the guys have been fighting hard to keep the area open, stop by the trailer and say thanks, I bet they would really appreciate it.

i agree with everything except the "need" to get a paddle. I ridden all the dunes in California with out one. The paddle may make it easier, but it isn't necessary

WORD, we want "Devils Slide" back! The area was originally set aside for OHV use, that is what the whole area is for OHV. Everyone that goes to Pismo should buy a FoOD (Freinds of Oceano Dunes) shirt or sticker and donate and extra five or ten bucks. Gene, Butch and the rest of the guys have been fighting hard to keep the area open, stop by the trailer and say thanks, I bet they would really appreciate it.

That is a good idea... I have never seen their trailer out there only at the sand show. Where do they usually put it?

A buddy went *last* weekend and it was already 90% full. Some trailers even parked there with nobody home, reserving spots for this weekend.

That is a good idea... I have never seen their trailer out there only at the sand show. Where do they usually put it?

I have seen it at the marker two to three area in the past. Best thing to do is contact the group, they are some good guys. BTW, I ride CCMA an run the Save Clear Creek sticker as well, Oct. 16 th is just around the corner, and I am counting the days.

Here is the link for Friends of Oceano Dunes.

http://www.oceanodunes.org/

Find out where they are setting up and stop by to show your support by buying a sticker and telling the group thanks for all thier hard work.

I have seen it at the marker two to three area in the past. Best thing to do is contact the group, they are some good guys. BTW, I ride CCMA an run the Save Clear Creek sticker as well, Oct. 16 th is just around the corner, and I am counting the days.

cant wait until it opens....

I will hook up with the Friends . Thanks for the link

A buddy went *last* weekend and it was already 90% full. Some trailers even parked there with nobody home, reserving spots for this weekend.

that nuts... Sounds like fun

hey guys i'll be there too, look for my truck Picture_107.jpg and my bike IM000584.jpg (no handguards though). i'll be with an older klx650 green w/black frame and purple seat.

I used to go to the dunes with my buddies once a month mid-week. There would be nobody out there, we had it all to ourselves. We would ride all morning and early afternoon looking for the best jumps and doubles. About 3pm we would head back to camp and throw some meat on the fire to slow cook in tin foil while we go swimming and body surfing. The water is cold, but it feels real good on the sore muscles and bones from riding. Then we would take a quick shower before dinner. A big tri-tip burrito with chili beans and a cold cervesa finished of the day. Sit around the fire and tell lies (I jumped at least 150' on that last dune) with your buddies. Later, crawl into bed and let the waves sing you to sleep, it was heaven. It pretty hard to ever find a day at Pismo that isn't crowded anymore, the place is just to popular.

Have a safe trip and be careful, the single razor backs kinda sneak up on you.

yea bro up here in hick town we have "ski week" all the schools get out for a week in mid febuary. we make an anuall pismo trip then and its rlly nice kinda overcast and almost nobody out there gotta watch out for the creek tho.

also those razor backs are hella fun to jump off if youve scoped it out first

Anyone know what time of year is the least crowed? Im guessing around Dec. or Jan. probably pretty cold though at that time of year. Id like to try the beach camping on the sand sounds pretty cool. What about hauling a 37ft 5th wheel on to the sand out there.