Sign in to follow this  

How much is too much..

I'm looking at purchasing an '05 or '06 CRF 450. I found an '05 with alot of aftermarket goodies like radiator braces, triple clamps, throttle tube, asv levers, etc. The price is right but the top end just had it's first shim. So my question, is it worth it to get a sweet deal on the whole bike with goods considering the shim on the valves, or is it worth it to pay another grand or so for a lightly used '06.

For the difference of a grand, you get all the goodies and a 500 dollar fix. But the other thing is, youre buying a two year old bike too...it's going to depreciate faster than the 06 too...but not all that much...Hit the guy with the 05 $500 less than what he's currently asking.

I would personally take my chances with the '06 depending on what you mean by "lightly used". It would be nice to know what the valve clearance was before they shimmed the '05.

I'm looking at purchasing an '05 or '06 CRF 450. I found an '05 with alot of aftermarket goodies like radiator braces, triple clamps, throttle tube, asv levers, etc. The price is right but the top end just had it's first shim. So my question, is it worth it to get a sweet deal on the whole bike with goods considering the shim on the valves, or is it worth it to pay another grand or so for a lightly used '06.

if it is Redbeards bike, buy the 05, take the head off, ship it to RHC, when you get it back get Kelstar to reassemble it for you to properly degree in the cam, it will come in at about the same p[rice as the used 06 and you'll have a much better bike with a fresh top end. If it's not Red's bike and it was from a vet do the same. If it's a "litely run" Pro's bike (which means very used) get the 06.

The best deal would be the 06 with the RHC work. You'll be happy.

has the 05 really moved or did the guy just get around to checking them and they were off a little? if they never set the specs where he wanted them they may never move again.

if it is Redbeards bike, buy the 05, take the head off, ship it to RHC, when you get it back get Kelstar to reassemble it for you to properly degree in the cam, it will come in at about the same p[rice as the used 06 and you'll have a much better bike with a fresh top end. If it's not Red's bike and it was from a vet do the same. If it's a "litely run" Pro's bike (which means very used) get the 06.

The best deal would be the 06 with the RHC work. You'll be happy.

im curious what does it cost to send ur head off to rhc and get valves,springs and porting?

Buy mine, you have 3.5hrs until I'm stopping at the local shop to trade for a '06 CR250 on the way home....

Related: I have a full Kibble White valve/spring/guide/etc kit still new i never used (didn't need it), along with a full 2-box set of Hot Cams brand shims, 3 in every size...all new in box...along with a cubic list of other items for the '05 450R, such as clarke 2.8 gal tank, white plastics with graphics installed, stock header, FMF Factory 4 exhuast, protection, etc....i'll officially list that stuff tomorrow after I successfully complete the trade tonight.

3 day old photo:

44366679-DSC_0004.JPG

has the 05 really moved or did the guy just get around to checking them and they were off a little? if they never set the specs where he wanted them they may never move again.

Don't know how many hours on the bike but it definitely was ridden. Sorry for the ignorance, but, what exactly do you mean they may never move again, can't you just adjust the shims as needed as long as the valve seats are fine??

Just went to the local shop for kicks to see about OTD on a new '06, quote was around $6300. Most used '06's are asking around $5300 - $5800. How much would a new top end run anyways?

Buy mine, you have 3.5hrs until I'm stopping at the local shop to trade for a '06 CR250 on the way home....

Related: I have a full Kibble White valve/spring/guide/etc kit still new i never used (didn't need it), along with a full 2-box set of Hot Cams brand shims, 3 in every size...all new in box...along with a cubic list of other items for the '05 450R, such as clarke 2.8 gal tank, white plastics with graphics installed, stock header, FMF Factory 4 exhuast, protection, etc....i'll officially list that stuff tomorrow after I successfully complete the trade tonight.

3 day old photo:

44366679-DSC_0004.JPG

gold hoops, damn! swap with me they wont give you any extra for them :thumbsup:

Don't know how many hours on the bike but it definitely was ridden. Sorry for the ignorance, but, what exactly do you mean they may never move again, can't you just adjust the shims as needed as long as the valve seats are fine??

Just went to the local shop for kicks to see about OTD on a new '06, quote was around $6300. Most used '06's are asking around $5300 - $5800. How much would a new top end run anyways?

they will move slightly when you put the bike into service. but if they are not checked, you dont know if they moved or they where just out of spec.

im curious what does it cost to send ur head off to rhc and get valves,springs and porting?

total will all parts was less then 1K. That is everything except the gaskets.

You may think that is expensive but you'll be more out of pocket if you sell your 05 or even 06 and buy and 07. I looked at a 07 today while picking up some oil filters and they wanted $6999.00 add on to that another 1500 for the BS expenses and your looking at $8500.00 OTD :applause: of course you could beat that by shopping around. Another plus if you have the RHC stuff done is that no other 450 will be able to touch it except mine :thumbsup: and a few others!

I got my 05 for right at $4000 with new top end rebuild, pc valve springs, etc. in the motor and other goodies....and that was about 6 months ago, before the 07 came out.

gold hoops, damn! swap with me they wont give you any extra for them :thumbsup:

:applause: I was checkin' those rims out, too! They look great, tie in the forks and the magnesium covers really well! I usually don't go for the gold rims, but they work on that bike with the coordinating factory accent colors.

:applause: I was checkin' those rims out, too! They look great, tie in the forks and the magnesium covers really well! I usually don't go for the gold rims, but they work on that bike with the coordinating factory accent colors.

gold hoops with Bailey kit :thumbsup::applause:

Are you looking at the one on Craigslist?