Sign in to follow this  

Snapping noise coming from stearing head

There is a snapping noise coming from my stearing head when I use the front brake hard or push down hard with the front brake on while stopped. Its a 2006 drz 400s with warranty but the dealer is 1 hour away and wonder if anybody else had this problem and know a quick fix. I tried to tighten the nut on top of the head but it looks like it needs a special wrench I tapped it with a punch a couple times and moved a little but snapping noise is still there. The bike only has 2800 km and no bad lay downs just some jumping but nothing crazy, lots of wheelies. Any help would be great thanks

sounds like its probably loose. or the bearings have some issues.

id get a hold of the wrench and torque it down properly. but i havent had anything like that happen.

yes, loose-probably dry as well.

ride to the dealer and get them to replace the bearings, they are likely shot and need to be packed at the very least. Do a bunch of wheelies and stoppies (off road of course-liability) first to truely dent the races if you want. Suzuki has been really shoddy with the bearings on these bikes, they should have to replace a few.

Are you sure it's the bearings? There is a lot of stuff up there that can run on one another....