Sign in to follow this  

Road Legal Wr 250

Hi Guys. Has anyone put there Wr250f on the road for dual purpose? How does the Five Sped tranny hold up to highway speeds. I am considering this way or try a DR650. Thanks.

I don't use my WR for much highway use, only to get to my favorite beach riding area. I do use it around town though, but it's just not too smooth. See my list of mods here http://www.sandslave.com/2003wr250f/ . I like to run a few enduros, hit the mx track, do trails and run on the 20 miles of deserted beach nearby. I have a friend that has a WR450 and a DR650 and the DR is a much more street worthy mount. He even runs it on the beach with me! He did do some mods though, forks and such ..... If you'll spend more time on the street, I say go with the DR. If you'll do more in the dirt, go with the WR.

We only usually go dirt. But it would be nice to ride to the trails. I may ride the bike to work 25km each way a few times a week. The wr is a great trail bike though. I have had it for a year now a no complaints at all.

I've heard a few stories of WR's losing 5th gear due to extended high speed riding and/or shifting hard from 4th to 5th.

I would/do take it easy on the street, i.e. short shift and don't over rev.

I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket which gave me better top end speed, a really inexpensive mod for street riding, and it's still ok for mx on the track and my natural terrain mx area. For enduros though, I'd still go back to the stocker as that's got lots of tight, twisty stuff and it's easy enough to change out. Kenda has some newer tires available, I've got the 760 front and rear and seems to do ok but the 110 rear does seem to be on the narrow side. It does wear pretty quicky though ..... All the ISDE tires are DOT btw ...... and I'd recommend putting on mirrors on both sides for street riding and left/right turn lights as well. My WR is the most fun bike I've ever had because it is now a great DP bike. It's like a 95/5 machine, and perfect for what I use it for. There are now other bikes out there that can do this, but I was looking for a less expensive used bike (2003 w/elec start) and only this fit the bill of being a great trail bike, some mx and easily wired for lights. Now I'm waiting for the the fuel injected bikes to come out ..... and hopefully be in better position so I can buy that new when it happens!

Huge difference between a DRZ650 and a WR250. You may want to look at a DRZ400 instead. I have a "00" drz400e model that is street legal and handles way better in the woods than a 650 would. My wr250 is also street legal. OK to ride to the trails but I"m talking mabey 3-5 miles. They are pretty much wound out at 60mph. Yes ,I know, people will say that their wr250 will do 75mph no problem. Mabey they will but it won"t last to long at that speed. You could put a 49 tooth on the rear of the wr for more top speed. I purchased a 05 ktm450exc earlier this summer. This is now my dual sport bike. The sixth gear makes it much more road worthy. The drz400 is a great multi-purpose bike in my opinion. I put close to 1600 miles on mine this year riding trails and dual sporting around the upper and lower peninsula of Mich.

I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket which gave me better top end speed, a really inexpensive mod for street riding, and it's still ok for mx on the track and my natural terrain mx area. For enduros though, I'd still go back to the stocker as that's got lots of tight, twisty stuff and it's easy enough to change out. Kenda has some newer tires available, I've got the 760 front and rear and seems to do ok but the 110 rear does seem to be on the narrow side. It does wear pretty quicky though ..... All the ISDE tires are DOT btw ...... and I'd recommend putting on mirrors on both sides for street riding and left/right turn lights as well. My WR is the most fun bike I've ever had because it is now a great DP bike. It's like a 95/5 machine, and perfect for what I use it for. There are now other bikes out there that can do this, but I was looking for a less expensive used bike (2003 w/elec start) and only this fit the bill of being a great trail bike, some mx and easily wired for lights. Now I'm waiting for the the fuel injected bikes to come out ..... and hopefully be in better position so I can buy that new when it happens!

Dropping a tooth on the front sprocket will lower your top speed.

Dropping a tooth on the front sprocket will lower your top speed.

Oops! must of put a 14 on, as the stocker is 13 right? had it backwards ..... dropping teeth off the back will do the same as adding a tooth the front, though hadn't tried that yet as the rear is a more expensive way of doing it.

All WRs in OZ are street legal: mirrors, indicators, horn etc are all standard on the bike straight from the dealer. Gearing is standard at 13/52 which is pretty low for the road and with a decent pipe you can comfortably go up to 14/52, making 100kmh cruising pretty comfortable. I ride a 15km journey to and from work in the summer, including highway, worst issue is tyres: you either ride on good dirt tyres (illegally) on the road and risk a fine if caught or go for legal ones which are normally junk on the road. Possibly a good balance is the Michelin AC10