Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Question

Ok, first I discovered there is nothing protecting the nipple in the pic. So I unscrewed the bolt a hair and I was going to clean it out, then oil started to drip. So I tightened it back up, but now I still have oil dripping out of the part that is circled in red? What do I do to stop this, it isn't gushing out, its a real slow drip. Any ideas? I need to clean that black nipple out so should I just take it off, drain all the clutch oil out, and then bleed the clutch too, but then I still don't know why it is leaking? Any help is great, I am new to these clutches.

Here is the pic - http://public.fotki.com/Toyota00/03_ktm/pic1.html

a copper washer is made to be a one time use because it is supposed to crush a certain amount and then thats it....with that said I have used them over n over as long as they havent been tightened to the point that they get too flat or too hard. Copper wil work harden in time and must be annealed, but its not worth it for a washer so just replace it....also to be sure that the leak is stopped you will have to clean the area real good with carb spray or brake spray to be sure. It may already have stopped, but residual oil is seeping making it look like a leak. No special kit needed, just a syringe and a piece of hose/tube that fits snuggly on both the syringe and the nipple. When you take the nipple out to clean it just stuff someting in the hole to slow down the flow till you get it put back in. No big deal what it is, hose, rag, paper towel, a bolt, etc

Where can I get those copper gaskets?

crush washers :thumbsup:

- If you have it in hand you can match it up at your local auto supply/tractor supply/hardware store (I'd go to Napa first 'cause it's harder to get at pepboys/autozone/'generic large chain auto store' - this is simple hydraulic inventory needed with most banjo fittings.

If you don't have it in your hand - order by part number and pay more from any KTM store either online or brick and mortar.

Did you get a piece of grit in there when you first untighted it?

I too use them over, an will tighten a few more ft/lbs until leaking stops. But be careful not to strip it.

Its on loose right now but not leaking, and if it gets tighter it will start leaking it seems like, my only concern is, that it may come unscrewed while riding? Or are they pretty snug once they are tightened just a hair?

Its on loose right now but not leaking, and if it gets tighter it will start leaking it seems like, my only concern is, that it may come unscrewed while riding? Or are they pretty snug once they are tightened just a hair?

I assume you are talking about the brass banjo bolt - that should have torque specs somewhere (I don't have the specs). If loose it should leak when you pull in the clutch