Sign in to follow this  

Why the Honda AP diaphram??

I see lots of recommendations to change to the Honda AP diaphragm.

Why ??

I also see folks say that the stock KTM AP and diaphragm is too aggressive.

In what sense? Too long or short a squirt? Too much too quick ?

Thanks

Honda squirt is like one second. The stock AP is something like 3 seconds. If you go with the JD jetting and stock pilot, most guys run the Honda Diaphragm. If you use the HT-racing powervane, the bike will use all of the stock 3 second squirt with stock jetting on the 450.

HT powervane ?

That's like the PowerNow isn't it?

Is that a inlet or outlet vane?

I have a PN inlet vane on my CRF. And that thing has a more 'snap' off idle then any I've ridden.

I'd love to get that same snap from my EXC. I've had teh bike for two weeks and went into the carb today to bump teh pilot from 42 to 45. The main was at 172 with a JD blue at #3 from the top.

The bike starts way to easy. Never needs the choke. Are they all that way?

Thanks

HT powervane ?

I'd love to get that same snap from my EXC. I've had teh bike for two weeks and went into the carb today to bump teh pilot from 42 to 45. The main was at 172 with a JD blue at #3 from the top.

Thanks

The snap is very much improved. The Honda diaphragm turned the motor into what I was looking for in a 450. I tried the 45 pilot and the blue needle 3rd clip, and didn't like it. I run the stock pilot and the red needle year round. I lean it out one clip position in the summer.

TT search is down now.

Which Honda diaphragm recommended?

P/N or model and year?

Thanks

i just tried to order the diaphram for mine and the local honda shop said i had to get the whole kit??? is this right and if so do you install all of the parts in the kit or just the diaphram?

I did the diaphram change and it was a major diff. I could feel the bog that sometimes came in the 450/525. I also got another 10-15miles from the diaphram per tank. You can also use the yamaha diaphram also. If you have a friend who has a honda or Yama you can change with them. I've heard that you can only do it with like years bikes. 2004 honda to a 2004 KTM. I'm not sure about that but it wouldnt hurt to do it.

The reason KTM does it is because they want he Kalifornia green sticker for their bikes. That why KTM come very lean from the factory.

I just wanted to say from experience that this mod works and is SUPER easy to do. It made my 03'450sx a new machine. I haven't noticed any power changes,or responsiveness, but it cured my stall problem. Now the only problem stalling is me. :thumbsup:

HT powervane ?

That's like the PowerNow isn't it?

Is that a inlet or outlet vane?

I have a PN inlet vane on my CRF. And that thing has a more 'snap' off idle then any I've ridden.

The bike starts way to easy. Never needs the choke. Are they all that way?

Thanks[/quote

They are not the same. HT is designed to correct the volume of the intake in the head to match the carb. Power Now is just for velocity and turbulance, which HT also affects. You can phone HT Racing and talk with them. I loved the outcome on my 525.