Sign in to follow this  

Fork oil drain on 2001 XR200

I'm a little confused. I want to change the fork oil on my 2001 XR200 and cant find the drain. I have a Clymer manual and it says there is one. The part at the bottom of the fork looks like it should have a bolt in it but it is solid and no hole is drilled??? There is a hex bolt all the way in the bottom, do I drain there? Thanks, Guy

There is a small phillips head screw towards the bottom {on the side}, thats the drain.

2001 doesn't have one, even though the Clymer's manual says it does. Mine was the same way... The hex on the bottom is for dampening adjustment. Just take them out of the clamps, open the top, then dump it out.

If you notice the little sticky out thingys at the bottom, back of the forks, that's where the drain plugs are on the earlier XR200 forks. Take your forks off and and drain the oil and pull all the internals. File that hump flat, drill and tap it. Get a couple of screws and some copper gasket type washers and they'll be just like the ones in your Clymer book.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought I was going crazy. Anyone know why there is no drain? I really did not want to take them all the way apart. Thanks, Guy

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought I was going crazy. Anyone know why there is no drain? I really did not want to take them all the way apart. Thanks, Guy

The answer is $$$.

They could cheapen production and still charge more for subsequent model years.

You don't have to take them all apart. Just take the fork caps off, pull the springs (you have to, to fill them properly anyway), invert them and drain. Pump them a couple of times while up-side-down. It's worth the time and trouble to add the little drain holes though.