Sign in to follow this  

So how is a TTR125?

I am getting my son(6) a Honda xr50 for his birthday. I thought it might be nice to get myself a bike as well so we can ride together. I have never really ridden before, and am not looking to race or track ride. He may as he develops, but I am content to sit and watch him do that. I mainly want to go trail riding with him. What can I expect out of a Bike like this? I'm not a big guuy, 5'7 165#. Is this bike underpowered for me? Will it hold up with kind of riding I want to do? I've read you shouldn't jump with this bike, and I'm not lookng for air, but are the occassional hiils/jumps in trail riding OK? My neighbor has an '05 for sale and they also have an '05 Honda CR85. I know the CR is a hell of a bike, but with my experience I'm not sure if that would be a wise choice. Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing you're talking about a ttr125l. Its really your preference. The ttr would probably hold up and take trail jumps. The ttr might seem fine when you first get it, but after a while it will start to feel slower. ttr's are fun bikes though

If it is in good condition and for a good price go for it. Reliable. After a while it will feel very cramped however then sell it for about what you paid for it. Or better yet keep it for your wife or your son or daughter.

Its fine for what you want. I know full grown men that pick them up just for goofing around on.

edit - if these are your first bikes be warned - all bikes that I know of - compared to cars, lawn mowers, etc are picky about how old gas is. We have learned to use "stabil" and that works for us. You would have the added advantage of having a neighbor that may know how to work on bikes if you need a little help. TT is great but may not be as good as someone beside you that knows a bit.

Best of luck.

Well I have 2 of the 2006 TTR125LE models for my daughters. I'm 5'8 and 160# and I wouldn't get anything smaller than a TTR230. For casual trail riding the 230 is much more comfortable. I have one of those as well for my wife and it goes pretty much anywhere we want it too. I don't know if your like most of us, but riding gets in your blood. I started out riding the 230 and quickly swapped it out for a 400. Now I'm even thinking of getting a 450 or a 525. My whole family rides. I think we've become addicts. But even if you get the 125 you will still have a blast. It's a very good bike.

Well I have 2 of the 2006 TTR125LE models for my daughters. I'm 5'8 and 160# and I wouldn't get anything smaller than a TTR230. For casual trail riding the 230 is much more comfortable. I have one of those as well for my wife and it goes pretty much anywhere we want it too. I don't know if your like most of us, but riding gets in your blood. I started out riding the 230 and quickly swapped it out for a 400. Now I'm even thinking of getting a 450 or a 525. My whole family rides. I think we've become addicts. But even if you get the 125 you will still have a blast. It's a very good bike.

I would have to agree. I went over 20 years without riding, and picked up an old XR600R. That thing has more power than I will ever use...but it's nice knowing its there! I ride my kids bikes all the time. It's fun, but when you realize the throttle is pegged and that's all there is.... If the 125 is in really good shape and is a good price, go for it. You can always upgrade later...You will only loose a few hundred bucks at the most...(did I just contradict myself???...you know what....ridin' anything is better than nuttin!!) Good luck!!!

or you could go with a xt225 and it will go everywhere the ttr125 will with a little more power, and as a plus you can zip around town with 80 mpg's. and it also has a nice low seat height.

I would really recommend a ttr-250. that is the perfect bike for you and could last you a while and maybe even a while longer if you dont get to serious and just ride around. a ttr 125 would be okay however

I would get the TTR125LE. I'm 5'8" 155# and you can make it do just about anything. You will have to do some mods to it to get it to work for you, but that's how most bikes are. For riding with your son it would be perfect. As far as being slow, with a few KEY mods, the bike will go pretty good.

5'7 is a bit short for a TT-R 250. Although the seat height is 36 inches, the bike is seriously fat. Have you considered the 230?

I'm 6-2 230 lbs and find myself sneaking the Mrs TTR125L out of the shed for "lawn laps" when she ain't lookin. Do the frame cradle from BBR ASAP, this mod makes the bike track so much better. I love the one I got for her, and am looking for another 125L for myself so I don't get yelled at for thrashing hers. :thumbsup:

BTW-I do have a DRZ400E, but these TTR's are like a 50 to me.

The TTR125L is underpowered, crabby hubs, crappy frame, absolutly terrible suspension. You can fix one thing, but another problem will come up.. I've went through 2 frames, shattered a ton of hubs, went through 2 trannsmissions in one riding season, blew out the shock revoir, and TONS of other crap. (Don't get me worng, I had more than 2K into just aftermarket.. Ohhh, and for the frame breakings, I had the frame cradel) Don't get me wrong, the TTR125L is a GREAT bike to learn the clutch on, or buy it for your girl friend, but thats about it. The TTR125L will be underpowered for you, and you'll be extremly cramped. Back when I rode it, I was 5'2 and cramped. Get the 230-250. There both restricted, and don't have any power, so its still a good beginer bike.

If it is in good condition and for a good price go for it. Reliable. After a while it will feel very cramped however then sell it for about what you paid for it. Or better yet keep it for your wife or your son or daughter.

Its fine for what you want. I know full grown men that pick them up just for goofing around on.

edit - if these are your first bikes be warned - all bikes that I know of - compared to cars, lawn mowers, etc are picky about how old gas is. We have learned to use "stabil" and that works for us. You would have the added advantage of having a neighbor that may know how to work on bikes if you need a little help. TT is great but may not be as good as someone beside you that knows a bit.

Best of luck.

When I first got the ttr i put low grade gas in it, but then i noticed it didn't run so great so i switched over to high grade and it ran great

The TTR125L is underpowered, crabby hubs, crappy frame, absolutly terrible suspension. You can fix one thing, but another problem will come up.. I've went through 2 frames, shattered a ton of hubs, went through 2 trannsmissions in one riding season, blew out the shock revoir, and TONS of other crap. (Don't get me worng, I had more than 2K into just aftermarket.. Ohhh, and for the frame breakings, I had the frame cradel) Don't get me wrong, the TTR125L is a GREAT bike to learn the clutch on, or buy it for your girl friend, but thats about it. The TTR125L will be underpowered for you, and you'll be extremly cramped. Back when I rode it, I was 5'2 and cramped. Get the 230-250. There both restricted, and don't have any power, so its still a good beginer bike.

Were you trail putting like the original poster plans to do or trying to ride a trail bike as an MX bike? You're 5-2 and was cramped? My Mrs is taller than that and it fits her perfectly.

I think the latter of the two uses is where you ran into problems.

The TTR was never intended for MX use, or for hard riding, its an excellent trail bike for the smaller statured or those that wish to merely cruise along, and will handle smaller jumps OK, but was never designed to go for "Big Air".

ADAM934MX is right, my 100# son- 2 rear hubs destroyed, frame broken, rims square, engine case broken from chain coming off, all in less than a yr. The bike had BBR springs, Cradle, Triple clamp, this is a 10-12 yr old beginner bike. Mike

This is just us.....

Daughter - TTR125L

Dad - DRZ400S

I was actually thinking of getting a 2005 WR250 just for the trail riding with my daughter, and use the DRZ for the Dual Sport rides I go on with my group.

Here's a couple pics...no haulin azz, just trail riding and enjoying the time with the family.

normal_DSC07330.JPG

DadandLeahDirtyB.jpg

DadandLeahDirtB%7E0.JPG

DSC07298.JPG

DSC07306.JPG

I am middle age and the TTR125L was my first bike. I just started riding about 3 months ago. I am 200 lbs. I rode it on trails and took some pretty cool jumps with it and it held up fine. I did however just move up to a TTR230. I kinda wish I would have started with it. The 125 was real washy in the front end and I had a little trouble going in like thick dirt and sand. The 230 just rips right through that stuff. No washing out of the front end and its more stable. I feel much more confident on the 230. I just got my wife a helmet and she is going to ride the 125. I am not sure its a good idea though, because like I said its kind of washy. She has only ridden it on the dirt road thats behind our house so far. We will just have to wait and see.

DIRT BIKE SCHOOL

It is truely worth the minor cost to learn stuff that is NOT inherent to an adult. Trial and error by a 5 to 12 year old, is expected, we as adults don't crash as well as the kids.

So going to school will truely help, and save you some doctor bills, and repairs.

I've been riding street seriously since 1979, and now also am ridinf dirt trails and open desert stuff.....it IS NOT THE SAME for me, and learning from those that can teach has helped me emensely.

That's funny how kids blow through stuff. But, if you know how to ride, the TTR is great. You just need mods to make it adult friendly and have your suspension done. The reason why anybody would break frame is because they land wrong on a big jump and have stock suspension. Just having BBR springs compound the problem. You can make this suspension work, but it needs to be valved big time. Pro-Valve can make the stock suspension not bottom with tons of damping. Me and my friends all have TTR's with 20-30 years riding experience each and we're 5'8" to 6'1". Except for one guy who beats his, we've had little to no problems. Plus the fact adults actually fork out the money for them, so we naturally take better care of them. And what up with being 5'2" and feeling cramped? I have a tall seat and about 7 inches on you and I'm fine. Just get a tall seat. Also, as far as frames go, if they break, just weld them up and gusset the crap out of them. Just use someone who can weld good and use mig or tig.