Sign in to follow this  

Needs throttle to start

I have a 2006 CRF 450R. I have been very happy with the stock jetting living in Southern California. To give this some context this is my first 4 stroke and my last bike was a KX500.

I have about 15 hours on the bike. On my first ride it was a little tough to start when warm, a friend told me to up the idle. This worked great and it seemed to start warm pretty easy and usually first or second kick when cold.

Then I started racing it in GP's and stalled a few times and had a :thumbsup: time starting it hot (lost many positions)

Now it takes a few kicks and throttle to start it cold ( like a 2 stroke), however it starts better than ever when warm or hot, and when using the 2 stroke technique I can always get it started in a few kicks

I checked the valves and they were perfect to spec!

Any ideas on why the starting tec. and warm / hot preference has changed without making any changes and the valves being good?

Sounds almost like the pilot screw fell out...how does it idle?

Normally that hard to start thing is just a fuel screw adjustment. And if you get the idle too high it wont want to start and when you do the two stroke kick, youre just dribbling enough fuel in it to compensate for it being too lean because the idle is too high...now youre all over the map mixture wise and thats why its inconsistant.

Do you find it belches some black smoke when you get it fired up?

Cold starts ,you have to turn the throttle 2,or 3 times to put some fuel in to it, sometimes more to get it fired. That is be for you kick it over. Your fuel screw could be a little lean too?

wick it 3 times cold no throttle , no throttle,pull the hot start and kick when warm. works for me :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, Im going to play starting teqniqe games in my driveway this afternoon untill the cops come. Whenever I'm someplace that I can ride, I Ride and have not taken the time to perfect a hot / warm starting procedure. Let alone play with the Idle speed other than the first ride: choke, hot start. Who ever thinks about starting a bike, when its running already, untill you are in a race and loosing positions becuase you just stalled. I have had 100% first kick sucess on my live engine starts in GP's. But almost droped out of a race becuase I could not get it re-started once it was up to full tempature.

To sum it all up: Starting should be practiced just like any other element of our sport.

OK, starting when cold: enrichener on, wick throttle two maybe three times to have the acceklarator pump put some fuel in the cylinder, kick motor through to TDCC, and go just slightly past. Stop there, raise kick starter all the way to the top, and kick through as hard as you can.

OK, starting when hot: Pull in your hot start lever, no choke, no gas, and kick the bike through 5 times. You are pumping in fresh cool air, and spitting out all of the hot, half burnt crappy air/fuel in the cylinder. Let go of your hot start and kick through. If it doesn't fire off within two kicks, then start process over. You should not have to wick the throttle open to start the bike.

CHECK YOUR PILOT SCREW. If the setting is off, things will be all screwed up.