Sign in to follow this  

Anyone gone from 05CRF450R to late model YZ250?

Hi All,

Thinking of going back to a 2 stroke and a late model YZ250 is at the top of my list. I have been riding an 05 CRF450R the last 18 months. Its a good bike but I am scared about potential costs for upkeep as well as its not as much fun as I remember my CR500s being. The 4 stroke power is kind of boring to me.

Anyone made this or a similar switch? How is the YZ for play riding as thats what I use my bike for.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey, first off, this is not my account, Kenpo1 was just showing me this site, and I wanted to respond to the question, guess I'll have to sign up. Anyways, had an 04 CRF450 and switched to an 05 YZ 250. For play riding I know I made the right choice. For real competitive racers, the 4 strks can be a little easier to go fast on, especially if your less experienced, but just not as much fun. MY YZ is light, quick and just fun to ride in a wider range of terrain and conditions. I live in AZ and do mostly desert riding.... glad I made the switch, hope this helps.

Alan.

I am coming off a 04 CRF450. Just bought a 06 YZ 250. It is to hot around here to really go out and ride it hard yet but just breaking it in around the hood has brought back a smile that was missing from the 450. I think I am going to love it. CRF450 for sale.

I switched from O3 CRF 450 to 06 YZ 250 :applause:

play riding on tracks only, may be a couple of local races in the future = perfect choice :thumbsup:

For sure it's not the center of discussions even if some make nice comments about it from time to time

Cost was my main concern and 2 strokes are the only appropriate answer

Resale value ? People are so afraid about maintenance on thumper that bikes are not so easy to sell from what i can see around me

Now if you're in the serious game, it would't make sense to go with a smoker

May be also it's because i'm getting old :applause: and that i'm not really worried now of being "in" or "out" :applause:

One thing for sure : it's impossible to be disappointed by the 06 YZ

I had an 04 CRF450R, sold it and bought an 06 YZ250. I switched for all the same reasons as mentioned by other posters. The YZ is great, light weight, easy to start and maintain and does not overheat at slow speeds. Even though I liked the suspension on the 450, the suspension on the YZ is better. It actually makes a much better trail bike than the 450. The only thing it lacks is the low end grunt of the open class bikes. There are ways to enhance the low end and mid such as a pipe. I happened to buy a DEP pipe. It works great as it gave the bike more grunt throughout the power band and more top end. In fact the top end feels as strong, if not stronger than the 450.

Good luck in your decision.

I am coming off a 04 CRF450. Just bought a 06 YZ 250. It is to hot around here to really go out and ride it hard yet but just breaking it in around the hood has brought back a smile that was missing from the 450. I think I am going to love it. CRF450 for sale.

Where abouts in Az do you guys live?

I am in Yuma. I am wanting 3600.00 for the 450. Excellent shape, 50 hrs, lots of extra's.

I switched from O3 CRF 450 to 06 YZ 250 :applause:

play riding on tracks only, may be a couple of local races in the future = perfect choice :thumbsup:

For sure it's not the center of discussions even if some make nice comments about it from time to time

Cost was my main concern and 2 strokes are the only appropriate answer

Resale value ? People are so afraid about maintenance on thumper that bikes are not so easy to sell from what i can see around me

Now if you're in the serious game, it would't make sense to go with a smoker

May be also it's because i'm getting old :applause: and that i'm not really worried now of being "in" or "out" :applause:

One thing for sure : it's impossible to be disappointed by the 06 YZ

Good post. I'm going to an '07 from an '06 CRF for many of the same reasons you listed.

I rode YZ250's for years, but my last 3 bikes were; '03

YZ250F, '04 CRF450R & "06 CRF450R. I never had any serious maintenance problems, but it was definitely on my mind w/my '04 ( I didn't have much time on the '06 when I sold it and the YZ250F was absolutely bullet proof). I also never had any problem selling any of them. I will say that there is a glut of CRF450R's out there. Check out a race or ride day and it is a sea of red. As well, many dealers have left over '05's & '06's and new '07s on their floors! I clearly understand that 2 strokes depreciate faster, but plan on keeping this one awhile.

I rode a friends '06 YZ250 awhile ago and realized that this was where I wanted to be. I don't race much anymore and will be spending more time trail riding in the future. The 2 stroke is the way to go!