Sign in to follow this  

H.o.n.d.a.!

H.ub O.nly N.eeded - D.on't A.sk!

I'm sick of replacing cheap Honda hubs! 2 on my '03 and now one on my '06 with less than 9 hours on it! EVERYONE who buys these bikes needs to loctite all the sprocket bolts before ever riding the bike! Not doing so could be very costly!

Luckily I was spared the pain on my '02 (bad valves) and my '04 - actually, a great bike. May be looking at those new Yammies next time around...

Wait your gonna get a yammi cuz you think they loctite their sprocket bolts?

ever heard the saying "it happens once bad on the dealer, it happens twice bad on the rider"? the third time I don't know whose fault it is but I doubt its the manufacturer.

Im 220lbs and have never wrecked a hub in my 5 years of riding honda 450s, but then again I loctite my sprocket and check my spokes. 2 very hard things to do now and then

Hey I was a mechanic at my local honda shop and never came across that problem maybe it is youre mechanic you should fire him.

I see this come up all the time. However I have never seen any of them in person on my bike or anyone elses. I would suspect it is something you are doing, not the "cheap ass" hubs.

I could be wrong, but I think this guy is trying to push our buttons. Sounds like a fishing thread to me.

ben

H.ub O.nly N.eeded - D.on't A.sk!

I'm sick of replacing cheap Honda hubs! 2 on my '03 and now one on my '06 with less than 9 hours on it! EVERYONE who buys these bikes needs to loctite all the sprocket bolts before ever riding the bike! Not doing so could be very costly!

Luckily I was spared the pain on my '02 (bad valves) and my '04 - actually, a great bike. May be looking at those new Yammies next time around...

I talked to my Mech. He said his buddy on a 06' YZ250 is on his 3RD HUB. He says that a new bike you need to check all nuts and bolts till they ceet of course. He said his buddy has learned that the first time oops I didn't check I got to buy a new hub. The second time he didn't realize those are new parts you must check them till they ceet.He also said lock tight is a bad idea ,because if you ever need to change your sprocket you risk snapping them off. Basically SH**T HAPPENS so take care of your SH**T. When I take my 450 in for a V-Adj. my Mech checks my bike over 100% :thumbsup:

I talked to my Mech. He said his buddy on a 06' YZ250 is on his 3RD HUB. He says that a new bike you need to check all nuts and bolts till they ceet of course. He said his buddy has learned that the first time oops I didn't check I got to buy a new hub. The second time he didn't realize those are new parts you must check them till they ceet.He also said lock tight is a bad idea ,because if you ever need to change your sprocket you risk snapping them off. Basically SH**T HAPPENS so take care of your SH**T. When I take my 450 in for a V-Adj. my Mech checks my bike over 100% :thumbsup:

The YZ's are more prone to this becaue of way the motor sits in the frame and where they put the bottom roller. Both of those things make you think the chain is looser than it really is and because of that guys run it too tight thinking its ok...hell it even feels ok when its too tight! And when the wheel goes up through the travel and the swing arm pivot, counter shaft and axle all line up in a straight line something has to give, luckily for most guys its the hub and or sprocket. If your bolts are loose, or you have a really good strong chain, often the hub just gives up. Ive seen YZ's with the sprocket bent over at a 90 degree angle and the guys swears the chain wasnt too tight (even after I warned him as he rode away from his truck, parked right next to mine).

The honda engineers put the bottom roller in a postion that mimics the necessary length of chain needed to go around the counter, swing arm pivot and rear axle all lined up.

Seems to me, the real cause of this problem is having you're chain too tight.