Sign in to follow this  

maintenance intervals

I was wondering how often you do maintenece on you bike such as oil changes, oil and fuel filter changes, engine rebuilds, jetting, and everything else. I am new to biking so i dont know what to do and how often. My bike runs great right now but i dont want to neglect preventative maintenance and pay for it later. I have a 02 yz250ff and 00 yz426f but we do not race or ride track, we only ride trails with them.

Thanks

I was wondering how often you do maintenece on you bike such as oil changes, oil and fuel filter changes, engine rebuilds, jetting, and everything else. I am new to biking so i dont know what to do and how often. My bike runs great right now but i dont want to neglect preventative maintenance and pay for it later. I have a 02 yz250ff and 00 yz426f but we do not race or ride track, we only ride trails with them.

Thanks

How DO you maintain jetting? Anyway, I do oil changes every other race and air filters every race. Thats about 30 mins of riding each race so you figure out the details. :thumbsup: I replace the oil filter every other oil change also

first off try using the search feature for all of your questions. there is a ton of information that will answer anything you need more in depth than i can explain. i do mostly trail riding myself. but i have some wide open fields to ride also. i change the oil every 3-4 hours of riding. i also change the oil filter with every oil change. i put on a clean air filter usually every other oil change. i mostly ride by myself, but when i ride with others there is more dust, so i change the air filter at the end of the riding day, no matter how many hours. i also check my valve clearances every other oil change. as far as jetting goes, you really need to do some research. jetting requirements change with the weather, temperature, and altitude.

Check you manual, it has service intervals. Get an hour meter (can get them as Sears or mc shop) and change the oil/filter every 8-10 hours. Have two airfilters and rotate a clean one on every hour or so depending on conditions. See your manual about checking the valves, you should do that once in a while as well.

The easy answer: as much as your budget will allow.

Don't forget spoke tightening every now and then as it is one of the most commonly over-looked daily maintainance items and one of the most dangerous.

I religiously do oil and oil filter/spark plug ever 5 hours and air filter after every ride. I find the easiest thing to do it have 3 air filters and have them oiled by in air tight bags so your not cleaning hem every 2 seconds.

I think i also saw someone else mention spokes these are very important. On top of this basic servicing you will also need to look at your swing arm bearing/linkages/head set bearing regularly and ensure they are packed with grease. I do this around every 50 hours of riding. Oh and install an hour meter and you wont look back! :thumbsup:

change air filter every ride with notoil, change oil every ride with rottella t 15w-40, oil filter every other change. that's what i do(did, sold today)