Sign in to follow this  

Do short riders have an advantage

A good many riders are very short.

Ricky Carmichael Height: 5'8" Weight: 150 lbs

Jeremy McGrath Height: 5'10" Weight: 160 lbs.

James "Bubba" Stewart Height: 5'7" Weight: 135 lbs

Chad Reed Height 5'11" Weight 170

Jeff Ward Height 5'7" Weight 150

ricky is like 5'5" 130 hes the shortest one out there.

Riding a MX bike is closer to gymnastics than basketball. So shorter rides do have an advantage.

ricky is like 5'5" 130 hes the shortest one out there.

Yea RC is like 5'5" or 5'6" and stewart is like 5'8" or 5'9". I could see how being shorter/ligher in MX could be an advantage because someone who is fit on a shorter frame carries less weight and also people with shorter arms/legs can possibly control them better on a bike. In certain situations off road I wish I was taller than 5'9"...being a taller rider in the woods would be an advantage.

Lower center of gravity is always better, isn't it? :thumbsup:

What did I learn in school? Wow...that was a long time ago!

Ok guys Stewart is pretty short, and not much taller than RC. The only thing is though that I am 6'1" and it seems like somebody my size can just put the bike in any position and still be in control. IMHO

My wife waited in line for a Reed autograph at the Vegas SX, she is like 5'5" & when she stood next to him she was only a little shorter than Reed. I would say he is closer to 5'7" or 5'8", no way 5'11".

RC is like 5'6.. wow JS is only 135 and he throws his 450 around like a pw0 :thumbsup:

Shorter riders may have an advantage, but not when it comes to pulling the holeshot in the 450cc class.

Just ask Davi Millsaps. If I remember correctly, he's in the 6ft margin and weights approximately 180lb with a donut belly. So fellows, if you want a consistent holeshot while racing, start consuming donuts.

no way is stewart 135 lbs.....maybe 4 years ago but not today....i bet he's at least 175 now.....

i think short only has to do with it cuz short usually means lighter.........put two bikes and riders side by side....lets say the bikes have the same power......one bike/rider is 40 lbs heavier than the other bike/rider.......if the skill level is the same who do you think is gonna get up the long/steep hills quicker???

Taller riders may have an advantage in the whoops, as their elongated legs provide more 'human suspension'. There are plenty of tall dudes running towards the front of the pack: DV12, K-Dub, Millsaps, Travis Preston...

Me an my boy, RC have a lot in common. We both ride suzuki, to a greater or lesser extent. We are both extreme mesomorphs. We are both the same height, nearly the same weight, i got about 5 lbs on him. Short, stocky, thick arms, big chest, small waist, thick neck, and the list goes on.... :thumbsup:

Shorter riders may have an advantage, but not when it comes to pulling the holeshot in the 450cc class.

Just ask Davi Millsaps. If I remember correctly, he's in the 6ft margin and weights approximately 180lb with a donut belly. So fellows, if you want a consistent holeshot while racing, start consuming donuts.

haha... true :thumbsup:

I dont think its so much short riders but light riders. The less weight a bike has to haul around the faster it will go.

There is something to be said about weight and finding some traction:

Marty Tripes

2nd, 1974 250cc Supercross Championship

2nd, 1974 250cc National Championship

3rd, 1979 250cc Supercross Championship

3rd, 1979 250cc National Championship

Marty Tripes was the epitome of the word "natural." But like many buttery-smooth, natural motocross racers, he tended to lack motivation. "He had more natural talent than anybody, but he didn't have the work ethic," Bevo Forte said. "I spent a lot of time with Marty, and I was there one day when he walked up to (Bob) Hannah and said, 'I'm beating you today,' and he beat him. He could find traction when there was none. But he and Tony Distefano always had a big joke going to see who would be heaviest. Tony was usually about 210 or 215. Marty was probably 225." Tripes won the first Super Bowl of Motocross in 1972.

Me an my boy, RC have a lot in common. We both ride suzuki, to a greater or lesser extent. We are both extreme mesomorphs. We are both the same height, nearly the same weight, i got about 5 lbs on him. Short, stocky, thick arms, big chest, small waist, thick neck, and the list goes on.... :applause:

werent you saying that he was out of shape not too long ago? i remember you saying that you were in better shape than he is and that he doesnt train very hard. now you are calling him "your boy" and comparing your physique with his? :thumbsup: also, the suzuki rc rides and the one that you ride are a LOT different.