Sign in to follow this  

how long till i can ride again???

i go for my MRI tommarrow and its a good chance that i tore my acl...how long can i expect to be not riding>>>>wen can i start again??? :thumbsup::applause:

If you tore your ACL and have reconstructive surgery, the source of graft determines when you can safely ride. Actually you can ride anytime, is just whether or not you want to tear it out.

1, your opposite patella tendon...less than three months

2. your same side patella tendon....six months

3. your hamstring tendon.............nine to twelve months

4. donor (allograft) (cadaver) any type....twelve months

Dr Sanders,

Why do think it takes longer to heal using your own patella tendon as opposed to your own hamstring from ther same leg. The reason I ask is that Aug. 31 I am having ACL Auto Graph using my hamstring from the injured leg.

Thanks,

Blair

Hamstring tendons don't have bone attached to them. So the healing has to be between bone and tendon. This is an UNCERTAIN process and takes a long time to mature, and usually is associated with a significant "stretch out"

For this reason, I have abandoned hamstring repairs in athletes, particularly collision athletes, years ago.

The other bad thing about hamstring repairs is that they ablate an important friend of the ACL. Hamstring muscle tendon units pull the tibia backward, just what the ACL is supposed to do. So when a hamstring graft is taken, the knee looses an important stabilizer that it can ill afford to be without.

The patella tendon has bone on both ends. So the healing is bone to bone. This is a CERTAIN process. Using this repair I can predictable get riders back racing on or before three months after surgery.

You have to decide how long you want to sit out for.

(Although in California, the operations done are so insane that a hamstring tendon repair represents an improvement from the average)

Yeah, pdizzle, I think the docs numbers are exactly right on.

I had same side patellar and I won't be back on the bike until the 8th month. I'm 7.5 now and still in rehab once a week. The only choice to think about, I think, is same side or opp side patellar. I chose same side because I didn't want to have two bad knees in case anything went wrong with either the graft or the donor site. Having gone through this, I would have chosen opposite side donor patellar. But, no biggie. I researched the hek out of this and patellar is the only way to go since you have the bone blocks on either end. You are in for a hek of a long rehab, so get riding out of your mind for a while, get the surgery and be done with it.

good luck.

Most ACL surgeries harvest the same sided patella tendon. The only reason for that is tradition.

The reasons for harvesting the opposite patella tendon include.

1. never needing crutches

2. less pain

3. much faster rehab

4. earlier return to sports

The only disadvantage is an incision on the other knee. But remember chicks dig scars.