Sign in to follow this  

kx250 is scary

im 12 yrs old 150 lbs 5'7'' and my dad got me a 97 kx250( i comin off ttr125le and have rode big 4strokes which i love! and am gettin an 07 yz250f, but he got this for me in the meantime until i get 250f and start racin)

this mfer is scary!@ ive had it 2 weeks and it still makin me almost crp myself

ive been bout 6ft up with it and will never go that high again until i learn! :thumbsup:

any suggestons or ideas? ive heard of puttin shim washers on the power valves until i feel more comfortable, thx anything would be helpful

o yeah and selin it 4 a 125 isnt gonna happen and i know im a little small to be ridin a beast like this

A KX250 is a lot of bike for a 12 yo.........even a big one like you. JMHO.

came with plenty o mods and flywheel weight etc. guy used to race it

i know im gonna be afraid of it until i wreck bad, then ima cuss it and kick it then do it again

If it will make you feel better I'm old enough to be your dad, 6'1" and 230 lbs and I'm still afraid of my KX sometimes.

The YZ250F will be much better for you but in the mean time, just take it easy or you will end up wrecking for sure and getting hurt. Then you won't be able to ride the YZ.

Eventually you'll be able to handle the KX but don't worry about rushing into it.

One thing that helped me when I first got my yz250 (the bike that I learned on ), was to ride one gear higher than you think you should. It won't be quite as responsive which is a good thing until you get used to the bike.. That.. and remember to squeeze the tank with your legs.

yup i do both, im not at all afraid of flat ground/whoops (i rule da whoops!)

but jumps bigger than 4ft scare the :thumbsup: outta me i guess ill try to learn more flat/whoops b4 jumpin, ima call my local bike bud in the mornin for heavier flywheel than whats on it now

thats a crazy bike for a 12yr old hope your dad knows what hes doing.

dont get hurt take easy learn the bike the easy way.....painless.

youll own your yz250f like a champ when you get it.

stupid hurts.

Getting a different bike isn't going to change the size of the jumps. :thumbsup:

Id be more scared going off a jump on a KX250 than a KX250F.

Why?

One has a smooth predictable powerband....the other has a harsh unforgiving powerband.

If niether of those would make you scared then imagine a KX500 compared to something like a KTM 525.

Just get used to the 250. If you end up going back down to a 125 to race, you'll feel like you're going slow and you'll be way faster. I used to ride my 125 SX like it was a big powerful bike. After getting used to my CR250, the KTM feels like an 80.

yea, i learn by pinning it learning from my mistakes, i cant learn by close calls that just makes me want to go faster, for about a day i take it easy to learn the powerband and basics about the bike then i just go for it, if i where you i would find a long gravel rode that doesnt get traveled to often to get a feel for the speed, then that you know how fast it will go you should be less scared of it.

Here's what you do.

Have your dad take you to a track, preferably a SX style track. Don't forget to take your dads helmet, it's best to "hide" his helmet so he doesn't know you have it with you.

When you get to the track pull out dads helmet and tell him "Dad YOU bought me this damn thing now YOU get on it and show me HOW to jump it!"

You'll probably get the 250F faster,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or not at all. :applause::applause::applause:

IMO I think what your Dad did to you was wrong. :thumbsup:

Here's what you do.

Have your dad take you to a track, preferably a SX style track. Don't forget to take your dads helmet, it's best to "hide" his helmet so he doesn't know you have it with you.

When you get to the track pull out dads helmet and tell him "Dad YOU bought me this damn thing now YOU get on it and show me HOW to jump it!"

You'll probably get the 250F faster,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or not at all. :applause::applause::applause:

IMO I think what your Dad did to you was wrong. :ride:

i wouldnt say wrong. maybe a bit overzelous. my dad was the same way. he brought me to by a bike and he pionted to a yamaha banshee 350.this is after coming off of an xr80.i just think my dad didnt really know what high displacement 2 strokes are capable of. he just wanted his son to be the one with the biggest bike. :thumbsup: after i convinced him that the banshee was just a bit to much for me i ended up with an rm 80.

as far as taiming the beast. i would say just make shure your sitting as close to the tank as possible,grip with your knees,set the sag and suspension and hold on. if u get the suspension set up right itl make it a whole lot easier to ride.

My son, who is now in the Marines, started out riding a Honda XL-100 for about two days. Then he jumped on the Suzuki RM370 and went vintage racing. I thought he was going to kill himself! He figured the beast out and finished the race that day. He rode it a lot more after that.

That was a few years ago and now he's a really good rider and he wants to get a newer KTM525 SX. My point is, once you learn this bike, you'll be able ride just about anything. Get your seat time and learn it's quirks, you'll be glad you did.

Here's my son on the mighty RM370.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/MotoBrittB/VDR-Nov04-ChrisBoyette.jpg

all very good replys, my dad got the thing tryna be nice, cuz it was cheap and in good cond

i just dont like how you gotta hold 2smokers wide open on jumps to be fast, ridin a gear higher to jump for now but i wanna learn how to pin it goin over jumps

i dont think it has a throttle stop, im gonna look into the spacer thing definately