Sign in to follow this  

Hot Cams install

How long does it take to install cams on average (how difficult is it)? I am fairly mechanical and have quite a bit of experience wrenching on snowmobiles and 2 stroke bikes. Just trying do decide if i can tackle this during the week with my limited time or wait until the weekend. Also, is there anything i should watch out for or do while i am in there, and do i need anything besides assembly lube, shim kit, gasket? Thanks in advance for the help! :thumbsup:

Mike

I'd say an hour if you do not need to reshim. 2 hr if you do. It is basically the same process. The time is if you need to go run down some new shims.

Shims may be the only thing holding up the swap. Can take 1-2 hours tops.

Don't use assembly lube on the cams just use the same oil you are using in the engine.

10guy - no assembly lube????? Just motor oil?????

I'll be finally putting my motor together pretty soon with my new RHC cams, and I'm pretty sure Ron recommended the assembly lube. What does Ed recommend?

I used assembly oil mix 50/50 and changed the oil after the first start. My 2 cents. Moly can stick to cluch.

do it during the week. if you break something or DO need extra whatever the dealer is still open, and you're done in time for the weekend.

--keith

do it during the week. if you break something or DO need extra whatever the dealer is still open, and you're done in time for the weekend.

--keith

Meh...the weekend has a ride scheduled. :thumbsup: