Sign in to follow this  

a little overweight!

here is some info that you might find interesting.it is unbiased fact .a Dunlop 756 rear tire size 110/18, weighs 2.5 lb less than a Maxis IT rear tire that is also a 110/18. a michelin S 12 size 130/18 weighs in at almost a pound less than the dunlop .michelin measures tire size differently tho so their 130 is realy about the same width as a dunlop 110.what does all this mean?iI dont need to lose weight, just use a different rear tire!dan. :thumbsup:

Yep Les at LT racing suspension told me that Michelin tires are the lightest around. I run Starcross MH now. My bike feels more lively with less unsprung weight.

Yep Les at LT racing suspension told me that Michelin tires are the lightest around. I run Starcross MH now. My bike feels more lively with less unsprung weight.

Hmmm.

It's something to think about. I'm running super heavy duty tubes and a Maxxis IT 120 on the back. They are tough as nails! I've been running the IT since break in. The sprockets are almost shot but the rear tire still looks good, better than the stock front for sure. It hooks up pretty good too, though I guess it could be better in mud. I wonder how much the heavy tubes and tires affect the handling. The extra weight might help out in the slick stuff to keep wheel spin down and put traction to the ground, which is OK in my book since I ride off road and I'm not racing. Does the "nimbleness" reduce fatigue?

Lukejt

i have to think a bunch of extra weight affects the suspension for the worse.the pig of a rear tire may tame the beast in other ways tho.but i say go lean and get in better shape so you dont need the beast tamed.dan.

Unsprung weight (tire, hub, wheels spokes etc.) take away the responsiveness of your suspension and also has a great effect on turning because of the gyroscopic effect. Unsprun weight limits the ability of the suspension to react as it takes much longer to stop the tire and make it go the other direction which of course is happening all the time. I don't like the Maxxis IT because 1. it's heavy 2. it sux in the wetter stuff or clay 3. it's hard to install. It does last well and never flats but I can't make that trade off. I like the S12 front but can't run that ether as i flat it all the time. I am running Mich MS3 and like it.

IMHO here is my list of good tires for the NW...

Front:

Bridge - M59

Mich MS3

Dunlop 201 or 401

The Stock TC pirellies worked well also before they spit the side knobs (Mich MS3's will do that as well)

I also tried the updated old school Dunlop 952 and like it a lot for off road. Worked very well at Washougal MX on my YZ250 as well.

Rear:

Dunlop 952 or 402

Pirelli

Mich MS3

Good subject Dan. :thumbsup:

Well, I can handle the bike fine....the places we end up riding around here sometimes (mostly) end up pure rock garden. There is a reason I'm running HD tubes and a tough rear tire. I weigh 235lbs and ride on rocks all day long. I've had a couple pinch flats and installed the HD tubes in place of the stockers when fixing the flats. I guess I could go out and buy ultra light tires and tubes, but I think I'd rather be able to ride back with some air left in the tubes. :thumbsup:

I might try a lighter tire on the back once the Maxxis finally gives up, prolly some time next year :applause:, but it's gotta be tough and hold up to lot's of abuse. Any suggestions for a tough/light IT tire? A buddy of mine tried the 952 and it chunked up in one ride.

I'm completely satisfied with the handling of the rear shock on my Husky BTW. It's super plush are really soaks up the bumps. The forks sometimes feel harsh at high speeds, bottom out coming down from drop outs, jumps etc. I'm running the stock tire up front.

Lukejt

That sounds believable.

As much as I HATE the weight of the Maxxis Tires, especially when used with Bridgestone "Ultra Heavy Duty Tubes" (the 4mm thick ones) I NEVER have flatted since 2002, my Wife since 2003.

This includes Vegas to Reno, same Maxxis Tires Start to Finish.

And yes, I can tell the difference in weight and I am no Pro Rider.

Dan,

What would be a good lightweight tire for sm610 the mich. pilots? i am in the market in the next few days. do you stock any sets?

cheynespub1@yahoo.com

or reply

thanks

cheyne

I run the Dunlop 756 both front and rear, Rear has about 200 miles on it and the front is new. I like the stiff sidewall of the Dunlops, almost don't know you have a flat in most cases. Most of the mileage is Dez, both rocks and sand, with some pavement and single track at Kennedy Meadows.

Good thread. I'm thinking about Pirelli front and rear based on Dwight Rudder's recommendation in the off-road forum. Any input on pirelli is appreciated.

I've had the D952 rear for approx 400 miles. It's great on dry dirt, rocks and general. But I liked the stock Michelin better for muddy conditions and grassy hills. Wear on the D952 is ok, but it does have some cuts in it from severe rocky riding (I think any tire would under those conditions). I am admittedly hard on tires though.

I used a TeraFlex on the rear of my ATK 605 and it is a super tire and rock thrower as well!

I am looking into rears for my TE510 now. Anyone tried a TeraFlex on a TE? Do they even fit?

I run the Dunlop 756 both front and rear, Rear has about 200 miles on it and the front is new. I like the stiff sidewall of the Dunlops, almost don't know you have a flat in most cases. Most of the mileage is Dez, both rocks and sand, with some pavement and single track at Kennedy Meadows.

You think the Dunlop Sidewall is stiff,,,,,try mounting a Maxxis, you'll cough up a Nut.

You think the Dunlop Sidewall is stiff,,,,,try mounting a Maxxis, you'll cough up a Nut.

I busted My Knuckles with the Dunlop, hate to think about even stiffer sidewalls!!

Note to self, put sprocket down/rotor up when mounting rear tire :thumbsup:

I am running Mich MS3 and like it.

IMHO here is my list of good tires for the NW...

Front:

Bridge - M59

Mich MS3

Dunlop 201 or 401

The Stock TC pirellies worked well also before they spit the side knobs (Mich MS3's will do that as well)

I also tried the updated old school Dunlop 952 and like it a lot for off road. Worked very well at Washougal MX on my YZ250 as well.

Rear:

Dunlop 952 or 402

Pirelli

Mich MS3

Good subject Dan. :thumbsup:

Hey Kelly, have you tried the Michelin MH3? I would think it would work better than the MS3 in the rocky areas that you ride.

I used a TeraFlex on the rear of my ATK 605 and it is a super tire and rock thrower as well!

I am looking into rears for my TE510 now. Anyone tried a TeraFlex on a TE? Do they even fit?

It's been mounted on a TE610, no reason they shouldn't fit a 510,,, (factory size being 140)

What size Dunlops are you running?

05 TE 450

Hey Kelly, have you tried the Michelin MH3? I would think it would work better than the MS3 in the rocky areas that you ride.

With the VERY mixed terrain I ride I usually run intermediate tires and have never much cared for hard pack tires but i have not tried it. Usually for me once the side knobs start ejecting I need a new tire anyway. I am a bit of a tire snob when it comes to the front tire, my buddies are always taking my tear-offs :>) I could give it a tray but it seems every time I put a tire on labeled for hard pack I end up hating it.

What size Dunlops are you running?

05 TE 450

110/100/19" Rear

100/90/21" Front

Both 756's

If you really want to reduce unsprung weight--do what the pro's do.

Dont use air to inflate them.

nitrogen. CO2. take your pick. Just about any lighter than air gas will do.