Bringing more business to my shop?

Hi everyone im going to keep it shourt but please help. I currently work on peoples dirtbikes and atvs outta my garage part time. I have a flyer up at a popular resturaunt down the street. I am pretty steady but by no means busy. I usually have one bike after another buy by no means am i backed up. I would just like to know how to draw a lot more customers? Everyone i work on there bikes for says i do great work and they tell everyone they know that rides. I also charge $40 an hour when the lowest shop around here charges $80. So any help would be great. Thanks!

Todd

yea i just put an ad in the next issue of the free paper around here that comes out. Shoould come out shortly ill let you all know what happens =] Someone also reccomended that i bight the bullet and put out about 50 bucks to make t shirts. And give them to all my racing buddys to advertise for me? Is this a good idea? any other little hints are more then welcome lol.

I personally wouldnt do that. I would try just go to as many local races as you can and post up flyers right by the sign up. Get to know as many people as you can there and just tell people about yourself and what you do and try to get them to spread the word.

Instead of T-shirts I think it would be better to have business cards, or even better business refrigerator magnets. Good luck to you.

yea i just put an ad in the next issue of the free paper around here that comes out. Shoould come out shortly ill let you all know what happens =] Someone also reccomended that i bight the bullet and put out about 50 bucks to make t shirts. And give them to all my racing buddys to advertise for me? Is this a good idea? any other little hints are more then welcome lol.

Yes!

Motocross racers are huge when it comes to visible advertising. We are always looking at other peoples bikes, clothes etc. Spend a couple dollars on a few t shirts, a couple hats and couple stickers. Walk around the pits offering the t shirts, hats and stickers free. Make sure the information is bold, to the point. The biggest thing is getting the message across. You gotta give them the message of local, quality and on time. I would hate to disciminate but give the t shirts etc to the all the fast guys for free. People always watch them closely or will look at their bikes carefully as they walk by to see what they are running.

Good Luck and hope this helps a little.

The only problem here being guys is the nearest track is budds creek over an hour and a half away. I live in your basic redneck area lol. No track near by. And if i was to say run all the way up to budds then people wouldnt wanna drive all the way to my house lol. We need to brain storm here boys. Lets think lol. Everyone rides around here buttt theres no track to do these ideas most of you are suggesting. Good suggestions they are though. But lets rethink a little shall we? thanks guys thanks a lot!

Todd

The only problem here being guys is the nearest track is budds creek over an hour and a half away. I live in your basic redneck area lol. No track near by. And if i was to say run all the way up to budds then people wouldnt wanna drive all the way to my house lol. We need to brain storm here boys. Lets think lol. Everyone rides around here buttt theres no track to do these ideas most of you are suggesting. Good suggestions they are though. But lets rethink a little shall we? thanks guys thanks a lot!

Todd

I betcha' have a penny saver type of newspaper around your area, you know, where people advertise furniture, used cars, lawn mowers and those kinds of things for sale. Run a small ad in the local penny saver, and put up a small flier at the local auto parts store.

If you don't have a local Penny Saver magazine/paper start one, they make pretty good $ and they are as simple to start as posting fliers.

well i would deff. sugest that if people can see your work area, that it is clean, neat and organised, also, if you do have bikes that become backed up, make sure there not just stuffed in a corner, line them up neatly, and make sure there CLEAN!no one wants to see someone working on a dirty bike then working on thier bike. just make sure you have a good impression, also if your loca radio station would help out see if theyll give you some plugs. or get some good client base and word of mouth helps oput alot. but more importasntly, make sure your garage is clean clean clean!!!! everyting, walls, tools organised and floor clean. youd be surprised how many people base where they get hier bikes done by how a place looks

Post a free ad on Craigslist.com, I don't know about your area but craigslist is getting very popular in Dallas. You should also think about creating a Myspace account and link it to local racers that have accounts...it's a great advertisement tool.

Design a sticker and get lots of them. Put them on your trailer, truck, bike, and anything else you can think of. Ask your buddies if you can put stickers on their bikes and trucks. The way I found a local suspension shop is by seeing a sticker on one of his buddies suv's. Now my bike is there getting a revalve. Put it on your laptop, your briefcase, etc. etc. If there is a surface put a sticker on it.

Step 1: Identify the need.

Step 2: Identify your solution for the need.

Step 3: Advertise and Marketing.

Step 4: Charge what the market will bear.

It's simple really. You are providing a service. There needs to be a need or want for your services, is there in your demographics?

Once you know there is a need to repair or modify bikes identify if you have the skills, time and materials/tools to satisfy the need.

The MX industry is like a big family. Word of mouth (trust) is the best marketing vehicle. T-Shirts offer a very low ROI if know one knows anything about what is on the T-Shirt. Personally hand out flyers with a brief explanation of what you do. Make the personal connection.

Charge people what they would be willing to pay. Sure, they won't pay you the same service fee as the Honda dealer in town because you aren't a experienced professional with a cache of dealer parts on hand. But if they trust you won't strip their bolts and you will get the job done.....and your availiable weekends......and you get it done in 3 hours instead of 5 days.....and you like the same music they do.....and your sister keeps flirting with them while they stand in the garage and read Racer X....see? The value in YOU is the personal connection. Make a customer this way and keep them for life.

Thats what I think anyway.

EmDubya

Put some signs or something on your vehicle.. I'm assuming you ride? When your parked while riding you get free advertising. I was going to recommend you set up a little shop area at the local track and help guys there with problems for a small fee. Basically, you need to go where the people are and let them know what you do. I run my own business so I know what works and what doesn't. Basically, the more effort and personal time it takes from you, the more successful it will be. Putting free ads etc will get you a small amount of business but not enough.

as i posted earlier most of these local track ideas do not work, being that my closet track is budds creek which is over an hour away from where i live. The problem not being i dont want to drive this far. But people come from all over to this track. It is by no means "local" keep them coming. Lots of props guys lots of them!

are you getting repeat customers? doing the job RIGHT THE FIRST TIME is the secret. i opened a small engine repair shop as a side job in the garage one summer between semesters while i was at home... that was 4 years ago. people are still calling my dad asking when i'm going to be back in town and can i please come by and take a look at whatever they broke... if you do a good job and charge decent rates, people will talk. all the advertising in the world isnt worth what one person can tell another about you and your work.