Sign in to follow this  

Doctors release, now what?

Four months ago, at Ponca, in order not to land on top of a lapper, I cased the finish line jump and woke up in the ambulance with a compound tib fib fracture, dislocated ribs, and a concussion. The doctor told me yesterday that I had healed enough to ride again but.......... I've seen some of my good friends quit taking any kind of chances after a wreck. This is my first major wreck that took me off a bike for more than a week or two, and I really don't know how to approach it. I would like to find a small track with open practice this weekend, and just get some seat time. Any suggestions?

I'll just simply repeat what's been said since the days of the old West...ya gotta git back in the saddle...Tex!

Seriously, the only hope you have of getting back to your former (riding) self, is by riding. In the course of all the time I've ridden, I've totally trashed both knees. And although at the time, my wife wasn't real happy about it...I was back on the bike nearly as soon as I could get full motion back. (The matching pair of CTi2 braces go a long way helping with that cause.)

Ride, man! Ride! Ride! Ride!

BTW...that was one helluva display of self-sacrifice on your part, on behalf of that lapped rider...I'd say he probably owes you at least several entry fees...

As an addendum to that previous statement...by all means take it slow and easy, at least at first and see how everything feels. If you were knocked out, and don't really recall the crash itself, that probably helps. Seems like the ones with the vivid memories are those that scare us most.

Nothin to it but to do it.

I've used this time to completely go over my bike, all fluids, suspension,etc. I began about a month and a half ago starting my bike inside the trailer with my left leg, and pushing it out just to ride on flat ground, and make sure it wasn't jacked up. Sure feels fast when you've been off a while!

I've used this time to completely go over my bike, all fluids, suspension,etc. I began about a month and a half ago starting my bike inside the trailer with my left leg, and pushing it out just to ride on flat ground, and make sure it wasn't jacked up. Sure feels fast when you've been off a while!

AMEN to that, brother!

You'll be alright, make sure the body's really ready to flog it, once it is...show that turd who's still boss!

My wife was was 5 months pregnant when this happened, and she has been my biggest supporter about getting back on. She was the one who overseen getting my bikes back in the trailer when I was jacked up on morphine at the track, shes pushed bikes in and out of the shop at home, shes had to tell numerous people that "she cant tell me not to ride" although she does say I'm grumpy when I'm not riding. I had 4 races left in the Okla. state series and was in 2nd place, and had intended to slow down after this series anyway. But now getting her two go for the new tech 10s?

Sonobob - thanks. I am in a very similar situation and your words helped a lot. :thumbsup:

My wife was was 5 months pregnant when this happened, and she has been my biggest supporter about getting back on. She was the one who overseen getting my bikes back in the trailer when I was jacked up on morphine at the track, shes pushed bikes in and out of the shop at home, shes had to tell numerous people that "she cant tell me not to ride" although she does say I'm grumpy when I'm not riding. I had 4 races left in the Okla. state series and was in 2nd place, and had intended to slow down after this series anyway. But now getting her two go for the new tech 10s?

That's a good woman you got there. The time I blew up my 2nd knee, I had to call her from the driveway, asking for my crutches...she threw 'em out in the yard! (she's a really good one, too...just had to let off a little steam!) :thumbsup:

Oh....the Tech 10's....always use the "safety and personal protection" trump card...

I would just take it easy and do only what you feel comfortable doing the first time or two back on the track. Maybe ride for a couple of weeks before you get back to racing, make sure you are 100% healed up and no problem areas as far as still being tentative about falling from your injuries and stuff.

It's funny, every time I have gotten hurt badly, I worry about the same thing, but the first day I get back on the track I seem to push harder and ride faster than before I got injured just because im so anxious to get back on the track after sitting out so long that I dont even think about it while i'm out there. People always tell me its like I was never hurt at all and I usually flow really well the first few times back for some reason. I think it's because I go through crashing phases. Like i'll be really comfortable and smooth at my current pace, start to step my speed up a lot, and then crash a lot for like 2 months straight, then all of a sudden get used to going that new pace, and smooth out. Then i'll have a 6 month streak with almost no big crashes at that pace, step the speed up again, then go through another crashing streak until I get comfortable at that new speed.

I totally agree with crashes coming in spurts. It seems like you cant even make it around the track without a wreck for a few weeks, then no mater what you do, you always seem to pull near misses out without a problem for a while.

Sonobob - thanks. I am in a very similar situation and your words helped a lot. :thumbsup:

Hey man, don't mention it. Just one of the reasons this website exists. There are times when riders can also serve as kickstands.