Sign in to follow this  

Stripped Drain Plug... HELP!

So, today my dad decides to be a nice guy and change the oil in my bike. Well he overitghtened the drain plug and stripped it out. It's definetely not the bolt, it's the cases. Any way to fix this? Thanks alot.

Someone else suggested that. I'm not really too sure what it is though? Any help?

A HELI COIL IS A THREADED INSERT THAT YOU INSTALL IN DAMAGED THREAD.YOU WILL NEED TO BUY A KIT.FIND OUT SIZE OF PLUG AND THREAND PITCH.ONCE YOU BUY KIT.YOU MAY NEED TO DRILL OUT OLD THREADS ON CASE,THEN TAP NEW THREADS,AND THEN INSTALL NEW HELI COIL ,BREAK AWAY TAB.AND THATS IT.I BELEIVE IF YOU GO TO WWW.HELI COIL.COM THERE SHOULD BE A DEMO ON REPAIRS.ALSO USE GREASE ON DRILL BIT + TAP TO HOLD METAL DEBRIE.THEN FLUSH CASE WITH OIL A FEW TIMES.WORSE CASE BRING ENGINE TO MACHINE SHOP AND LET THEM DO IT.

So, today my dad decides to be a nice guy and change the oil in my bike. Well he overitghtened the drain plug and stripped it out. It's definetely not the bolt, it's the cases. Any way to fix this? Thanks alot.

I did the same thing about 2 weeks ago, and i put form-a-gasket at the tip of the bolt and the bolt stays in tight, and no oil leaks out :thumbsup:

I've used Loc-Tite(brand name)form a thread before.

Follow the direction exactly

It's availble at most auto parts stores

Next is the heli coil or keensert which is a actual insert

Good luck

I did the same thing on an old bike of mine. Most auto parts stores sell slightly oversized drain plugs for these situations. I bought one and it worked great. It fit snug and never leaked oil.

Look up Timecert on google, it's much better than heli-coil, it's an insert, but solid, not like a spring like the helicoil, will be stronger than stock when done.

i just said **** it and epoxied mine shut, that thing caused me so much problems..now i just use the big one and its all good!