Sign in to follow this  

Tranny oils been dirty, now metal in it!

Okay...going back a year or so, I change my tranny oil at a two day ride we do for CF. It was always clean back then, changed EVERY ride with HONDA Red 80Wt. That change came out with metal shavings, not a ton, but quite a few. The next day about 40 miles into a 100 mile ride my countershaft bearing went and took out the side case on the engine. That was last June and an expensive fix, never found out why it happened either. I run a tad bit more oil than is recommended. That has been ridden almost every weekend since then and has been good, oil normal after a change etc.

Then 2 mos ago I install a rekluse and the oil has been coming out pretty dirty, still change it every ride. Oddly enough last weekends change it came out the cleanest since the rekluse (still dirty though). By dirty I mean dark in color and TINY TINY metallic looking swirls in the oil when looked at under light. Before the rekluse the red oil would still pretty much come out red.

So I just changed the oil tonight after a short 55m but FAST harescramble, where we were really hammering for 3hrs, and rowing the gears. Bike ran flawless and was perfect until I dumped the oil...it had metal shavings, this time big like pepper size flakes, thin though, very this, but pepper sized like from a pepper grinder. The oil looked very metallic under the light. I changed it fresh, took it around the block, ran mint, no detectable problem, shifts great etc, changed it again, lots of metal in it again. Small THIN metal, but it very similar to the aforementioned night at the 2 day ride when the tranny blew the next day.

Anyone else run into this out there?

Not sure what to do, I need this to be reliable right now! I can't afford another DNF this race season and have races every weekend for the next...well until Nov. Should I pull it apart? Sucks, I just did the top end, 07 head, hot cam. Runs good. BTW bike is an 04 250x. Any input, especially if you've run into metal in the oil etc will be appreciated. Going to call rekluse tomorrow, see if they have any similar complaints, worth a try.

This happened to me last time I changed the oil. I had some silver metal shavings in it, Which isen't too good. I'm assuming its my fault, but I haven't noticed any problems as of yet.

Btw I've only had the metal happen once, hasen't happened since then.

-Ryan

Pulled the clutch cover and sure enough...saw a mess. 3 of the tiny torx bolts backed out of the rekluse cover plate, despite the fact that they were torqued to spec with the supplied blue loctite. I am not a happy camper right now. There is metal, albeit aluminum all through the bottom end now, mostly shaving from the clutch cover it appears, and from the main pressure plate that has all the balls on/in it. The "tabs" that go into the basket on that sure took a beating too, 3 of the torx screws were completely loose, bouncing around in there. I can't believe that they stayed in the clutch, but am thankful that they did.

So, I am not too happy with Rekluse right now, I think the blue loctite they supplied is not good enough or the bolt design is wrong or something, I torqued them to spec with blue loctite and this happened a month later. BS.

Hopefully they can help me out with new parts or something...closed today due to holiday.

SO,right now I am taking on the tedious task of trying to clean out the bottom end/tranny without actually taking the whole damn think apart. I kerosene a good idea, or diesel, or is that getting carried away?

I just want to get as mush out as I can. It looks bad, but they are tiny shavings...just want to make sure that a small oil channel isn't clogged or something. So I was thinking compress air and deisel.

Any input/idea's on cleaning it up?

Thanks

Well the only problem with that is you have the possibility of bearings being ruined. Even the slightest bit of metal in them will trash them, then your asking for bigger problems. I had the rod bearing go out on me and it sent lots of little metal shavings into the transmission bearings and ruined them all. I actually thought there were ok till my mechanic looked at it and said they were shot. The tiniest bit of drag ruins them. So you might wanna watch that you dont want a main bearing goin out on you that could be big problems.

To be honest I really don't think the metal (hope I should say) shavings that I am finding are big enough to cause a bearing issue. An oil orifice issue yes. They are tiny paper thin aluminum. I flushed the oil about 5 times today with some cheap oil and it is coming out much better now, but still some metal left in it. I can't afford to take it apart now, time or moneywise, so I am praying it will be okay. Going to stay real on top of oil, like change at fuel stops etc. until (if) it goes back to normal. Calling rekluse in the AM.