Best Tires for Ocotillo Wells

Michelin S12. The Maxxis IT tires last a long time but do not hook up in any slippery uphill sections. The back tire squirms all over the place.

Ditto. I just went back to an S12 after using the Maxxis Desert IT. My bike is certainly no power hog but even in 5th gear down a wash I could easily get the back tire to break loose and squirm sideways while I was going perfectly straight. It did seem to want to wear forever, though. I commuted on it a lot this summer and it held up very well.

Ditto. I just went back to an S12 after using the Maxxis Desert IT. My bike is certainly no power hog but even in 5th gear down a wash I could easily get the back tire to break loose and squirm sideways while I was going perfectly straight. It did seem to want to wear forever, though. I commuted on it a lot this summer and it held up very well.

Yeah! The Maxxis IT's are good D/S tires oddly enough! I'm just about done with the set I have on my D/S XR650R. Very impressed by how they held up to asphalt. They're not DOT but...

I didn't like the Maxxis at all. I still have a 75% tire in my garage that I'll probably save until next summer for dual sport riding. The lugs on the Maxxis are too close together and the compound is too hard; therfore it doesn't work anywhere. They are too slippery on my 525. Although, it was fun running like a flat tracker around the airport in 5th. I put on a pair of Dunlop D756's and they work GREAT, but they wear fast. I'm going to try the D952's next.

I put on a pair of Dunlop D756's and they work GREAT, but they wear fast. I'm going to try the D952's next.

Hey, you should try an S12. They're pretty good. And they're Michelins, made by the French! Sure, you wouldn't wanna buy a gun from the French, but a tire? Why the hell not?! I've also heard they're real popular on the Formula 1 circuit, but I really wouldn't know too much about that.

Maxxis tires are French too. I didn't like the Maxxis IT much though. It wears well but the traction is lacking IMO. I like the S12 but I ride mostly track so I'm going to try the D952 next.

Are you sure they're French? I went through the Maxxis website, and found it incredibly vague on where the company was actually HQ'd. This was just my guess, but I suspected that they were Chinese, perhaps related to Cheng Shin somehow.