Sign in to follow this  

early '90's DR650 question

Hi guys, I'm considering picking up an older ('94, I'm pretty sure) DR650 from a friend as a project bike -- needs some tlc.

Is there a way to lower this machine? Kouba doesn't offer a lowering link. I know the later models have 2 mounting holes in the rear shock, one of which will lower the height from the stock position... But diagrams I looked at on parts websites make it look like these earlier shocks only have one mounting hole... Would it be possible to drill for a second mounting hole? Or to shorten the spring and travel of the rear shock?

I notice the aftermarket is pretty thin on these pre-'96 bikes -- anyone know of an option for replacing the exhaust? It has a damaged aftermarket exhaust currently, and I haven't been able to locate much on the web to replace it with.. I don't care if its oem or performance (I actually prefer a quiet setup). If I pick up an oem exhaust from a newer DR650, would that be easily modified to bolt up to this older bike (new mounting tab, I'm guessing)? I just don't know it the diameter of the header pipe is the same...

Thanks a bunch for any thoughts or advice on this, you guys.

I have a 91'. Mine came with a supertrapp, Mikuni flatslide carb, and a cut out airbox, and a suspected performance cam. It currently runs like crap no matter what technician I take it too. Do yourself a favor and keep the engine stock.

The only way I know to lower it would be at the shock just by softening it up a bit. By softening the rear of mine it sits about 2 1/2" lower when I get on it. As far as exhaust goes, you can pretty much use anything you want as long as you get the air/fuel ratio correct. I've got a 91' with a DMC pro quiet exhaust for a CRF 450, works great and its very quiet.

thanks for the info guys. Norm at koubalinks said one can go into the rear shock and install a top-out spacer (usually 1/3 of the amount you want to lower the rear of the bike), as an alternative to a lowering link.. I'm not sure if I'm going to pick this bike up... It might be better to pay up and get something later model, like a newer klr650, which has tons of aftermarket support. We'll see what happens, I guess -- the price for this one is just so low, it might be hard to pass up!