2 stroke or 4

Just how much harder is it to ride a 250 2st compared to a 450 4st?

I have heard from different people that I will never be able to ride the 250 2 as well as a 450, I am coming off a CRF250 and would like to go 2 stroke for a good adrenaline rush, but I have repeaedly been told that the 450 is a better all round option not only for racing but for having general fun on aswell.

I would really llike to contiue racing and have had previous 2 st experience (CR125).

What do you guys think?

i ride a kx250f, but i used to ride a 125, and sadly the 125 was more fun to ride, once you get into that 2t powerband its the biggest adreneline rush ever...

the main differences are power delivery, the 450 allows you to pull around in basically whatever gear you want, like a tractor almost, and it probably puts out a few more horsepower to. the 250 will require more precise, shifting, and clutch work when racing. but the 250 is also ALOT lighter than the 450 and they are cheaper to buy, with less maintenence. So its really depends on what you plan to do. If you wanna get hardcore into racing id say go with a 450, if you wanna race once and while, and do trails, powerlines and what not the rest of the time id go with a 250 for the lower operating costs, and more fun riding.

most people will never be able to use all the power of a 450 and would actually get better results on a bike like a rm or yz 250 and their so much more fun to ride beacause of the powerband and thats why we do this anyways right???

What has been said pretty much covers it. However, you mentioned that you have been told that the 450 would be a better all-round bike. I disagree, I think you could make a decent argument that a 450 might make a better mx race bike, as it is easier to ride and go fast on (as stated all ready, it takes less precision and rider ability). However, becasue of the size and weight it is tough to use in any type of trail riding etc.. The two stroke will still throw-down on the track, is perfect with its light weight and flickability for the trails, pulls hard enough for the dune and is obviously dominate in any type of FMX. As whole, if a fun, all round bike is what you would like, the 250 2strk is the best bet. Then factor in the cost and maint. and it is an easy choice. Oh yea, and no fourstroke can produce that 2 stroke smile... braaaaap!!

i ride a kx250f, but i used to ride a 125, and sadly the 125 was more fun to ride, once you get into that 2t powerband its the biggest adreneline rush ever...

the main differences are power delivery, the 450 allows you to pull around in basically whatever gear you want, like a tractor almost, and it probably puts out a few more horsepower to. the 250 will require more precise, shifting, and clutch work when racing. but the 250 is also ALOT lighter than the 450 and they are cheaper to buy, with less maintenence. So its really depends on what you plan to do. If you wanna get hardcore into racing id say go with a 450, if you wanna race once and while, and do trails, powerlines and what not the rest of the time id go with a 250 for the lower operating costs, and more fun riding.

2 strokes are made for racing not trails. a 4 strokes roll on power is much better especially if you are going to do tight single track. if you dont keep your revs up on the 2 stroke you could foul your plug, but with a 4 stroke you can idle and it wont hurt at all.

I'm on the fence with this debate myself. I'm riding a DRZ400 right now and I'm so "over" riding and haulin this pig around the tight stuff, which is about all I ride. The 4stroke power is nice and very "tractor like" but, the weight is killing me.

Most of the top off-road (GNCC, WORCS) racers are still on smokers and the light weight and snappy power sound great to me, along with the ease of starting and maintainence.

The Only big plus of the Fs is the easier to use power, greater gear flexibility and better hill climbing but, they're a pain to start hot and work on.

I'm leaning towards 250s in both cases, a 125 is just too small for me, but a 450F just seems like too much for the trail. (judging by my buddy who loops out all the time in his 450F)

I also race SM so a 4stroke would be a better option for that but, I've also been leaning towards doing some off-road competition and I think a 2stroke would suit me better.

I've been going around like this for months and will probably end up with a 250 2stroke with a real heavy flywheel.... maybe.

2 strokes are made for racing not trails. a 4 strokes roll on power is much better especially if you are going to do tight single track. if you dont keep your revs up on the 2 stroke you could foul your plug, but with a 4 stroke you can idle and it wont hurt at all.

Your user name is very fitting to your knowledge of two-strokes. When talking about a 250cc two-stroke (which is what we are indeed talking about), fouling a plug is only a problem when you buy the bike and then go riding at 10,000 feet elevation. Fouling plugs is a myth for the most part. Two strokes that foul plugs are either not jetted correctly, or they are smaller bikes like 85s or 125s that should be ran at higher rpms and are not. A 250 has strong bottom end and a much broader powerband. They make great woods bikes. The only two-strokes that don't idle are bikes that amateur riders with amateur mechanics jet for top end, with extremely rich jetting. Excluding 85s, two strokes are nothing like that from the factory.

im in the same boat. i race a 250F but i nneed a bigger bike. i wanna stick with the 4-stroke but the power?? i dont need all that. but on the other hand it is always there when you need it. plus my friend with a CR250 says id have to change my riding style and i dont know if i should risk it. im tryin to sell mine and try some 250's out and see how i like them.

im in the same boat. i race a 250F but i nneed a bigger bike. i wanna stick with the 4-stroke but the power?? i dont need all that. but on the other hand it is always there when you need it. plus my friend with a CR250 says id have to change my riding style and i dont know if i should risk it. im tryin to sell mine and try some 250's out and see how i like them.

a 250 2 stroke and a 250f dont have that much different of a riding style. a little bit more clutch is required on the 2 stroke, but not much. i went from an 01yz125, to an 04 rmz250 to a 05 yz250 and my transition from the rmz to the yz was really easy and i picked it up in 2 rides.

I've never fouled a plug in a water cooled 2-stroke. I did foul a few plugs in my mom's old 1964 Suzuki 120 2-stroke back around 1985 when it was still running. But it was air cooled and used an oil injector.

4-strokes make more $$$ for the shops. That is why the shops push them. Most of what you hear is just myths and has no basis. Both bikes can do all types of riding, just on a 2-stroke there are less parts and thus less to change to tailor it for what you want to do. Also beside the lighter weight the 2-storke and smaller bore bikes in general have less gyro scrope effect (ie. all the moving parts rotating in the motor create weight) and thus will *feel* much lighter then they reall are. This is why a KTM 400 is so much easier to ride then a KTM 450 or 525 which are the same weight.

Your best bet as always is to try a bike if you can before buying it.

Cheers,

My brother had a new 1985 CR80 back in 1985 and from 1985 to 1990 he ran it everyday on the same plug. He never rode it hard like he should either, just used it to run down to the local bass pound and do some fishing, then run home. I used to borrow it from him every once in a while to clean it out as I had a TT600 and it was nice to ride something that I could actually lift.

If a 2-stroke is fouling plugs most likely it needs new rings. Most 2-strokes that foul are used one that were worn out when the new owner bought them. Could be other reasons too, but I think rings are most likely.

everyone cries about the weight difference but it is only 2-4 kgs different, don't get me wrong I would prefer the 2 stroke power delivery but the only argument for a 2 stroke is the weight advantage of 5kgs max. Does it make that much of a difference?

its the revvvy powerband on a 2 stroke that makes it feel so much more flickable

?

i don't know y everyone is baggin on the 450 as a trail bike, i don't know how everyone rides and i guess it's rider preference but i race both motocross and gncc, and i can honestly say my lap times in both are faster on the 450 than a 250 2st. As far as the weight, i really can't tell that much of a difference between the two when riding. I am a B class racer in both, in case you were wondering what i ride...