Sign in to follow this  

tall seat or footpegs?

i'm about 6'1" and i think i might want tall seat foam, or low pegs, which would you recommend? i ride track and trail. would lower pegs be better because it lowers your weight?

i ride a rm125

i ,m about the same height as you and i have been using tall saddles since the late 70s. i think i like to keep my feet up away from possible nastys as much as i can so i don,t lower my pegs as a rule. also i,m a huge fan of moving my bars forward , but of course it often comes back to personal preference and riding style so just experiment and find what works for you. :thumbsup:

i'm about 6'1" and i think i might want tall seat foam, or low pegs, which would you recommend? i ride track and trail. would lower pegs be better because it lowers your weight?

i ride a rm125

You'll get better results with a tall seat first. Depending on the bike, you can lower you're foot pegs for free with the stock parts,and yes, there is a chance of hitting more stuff with your feet with lower pegs, stiffening suspension helps a little but you compromise plushness. I'm also 6'1 and would recommend taller bars also.

thats a good question, becasue i think with a taller seat your going tohave less of a chance for the bike to react differently, becasue your higer up, but with teh foot pegs it will impact much differently becasue you are always on teh pegs where your susally not sitting

am it right?

You'll get better results with a tall seat first. Depending on the bike, you can lower you're foot pegs for free with the stock parts,and yes, there is a chance of hitting more stuff with your feet with lower pegs, stiffening suspension helps a little but you compromise plushness. I'm also 6'1 and would recommend taller bars also.

I would think seat and bars would be the way to go. How much can you acually lower your pegs?

I'm 6'2" and run both. But to be honest I think I could do without the tall seat because of the pegs. A 1/4"-1/2" doesn't seem like a lot but it really opens up the riding position for me. This is the first year I ever bought lowered pegs and it'll be the last time I ever have a bike without them. For me this is the best mod I can make to a bike.

I'd probably try lowering the pegs first. The taller seat kind of throws the dynamics of the bike off. I had an 04 YZF 450 with a taller SDG seat. The bike already had a top heavy feel to it, and with the seat it actually amplified it. I ended back up going back to the stock seat.

I have a seat on my 250f and pegs on the 450f, and I think I like the pegs better. They give you a lower feel for the bike, and my F3 pegs feel like an old sofa (I love those things...). I am starting to think about putting a tall seat on the 450f, but it would cost money I dont have. Just killed my wallet with new tech-8's today...

do the pegs make as much of a difference as the seat? pegs and a seat are about the same price ($100.). can you just buy seatfoam, or do you have to buy a complete seat?

how can you lower the stock pegs?

I'm 6'4" and have both. The fastway lowboy pegs are about 1/2 lower than stock and to be honest, I didn't notice much of a difference. The tall seat is nice because you stand up so much easier. They really do two different things though. The seat will make you stand up more just because it's easier - good thing. The pegs change your ergonomics and give you better control of the bike through your upper body (if you back is straighter you'll have better leverage to throw the beast around). I recommend both because they do two different things that aren't the same.

Also, higher handlebars or taller mounts do a similar thing to the lower footpegs - just on the opposite end. I badly need a high CR bend bar and to extend my mounts up and that is the next mod I am going to get.

If you can only get two things I think the better decision is between the lower footpegs or the taller bend bar. And get the tall seat. My 0.02.

I don't think you can lower stock pegs on most bikes.