Sign in to follow this  

Looks like its the end of Honda

the 4-Stroke era has come.

You mean Came, Gone, then Returned. The 4 popers were beat'n the boards long before the smokers show'd up.

I doubt it. You see so many 2-Strokes, because its what used to be the 'in thing'. I remember the days when the 2-Strokes ruled, everyone was asking what pipe to get, rebuilding top-ends between moto's, all that stuff. Now I see no riders, or close to none, riding newer 2-Strokes, sure you see the ones that people BEEN riding, and still are, but everyone is switching to 4-Strokes. I go to the races, track, everyone is on a thumper, and this includes people from hick towns in Michigan way up north too, even they know the 4-Stroke era has come.

What makes you say they wont be back. The 2 strokes ruled once when the 4 strokes were out, now the 4 strokes are coming back big time. How do you know they 2 strokes wont be back. Maybe the cost, maintainence, and headaches the modern 4 strokes give us, who knows? :thumbsup:

All it takes is one company. Maybe one will strike rich and come up with a new system to keep emissions down? The 2 strokers are queiter and still have more CC to CC power, and you cant change that. IMO, 4 strokes are sky rocketing simply because the market is demanding it. Last time i checked, i could get a full exhaust system for my V8 cheaper then i could for a modern 4 stroke.

All it takes is one company. Maybe one will strike rich and come up with a new system to keep emissions down? The 2 strokers are queiter and still have more CC to CC power, and you cant change that. IMO, 4 strokes are sky rocketing simply because the market is demanding it. Last time i checked, i could get a full exhaust system for my V8 cheaper then i could for a modern 4 stroke.

Amen to everything said there.

The reason 2 strokes are not the "in thing" any more is because the AMA put them at such a great disadvantage by allowing 4 strokes to be twice the size, instead of something more reasonable, like 50% larger. Its not that you arent cool if you ride a 2 stroke, but it seems if you are racing an AMA MX race, the logical bike to chose is a 4 stroker because of their huge advantage.

those hunks of shit dont count

Fact of the matter is a ktm 2 stroke motor smokes any equivalent honda 2 stroke from the last few years. :thumbsup:

I'm one of the few 4-strokes left racing enduro where I live. Everyone else is on a KTM or Gas Gas 2-stroks...

You all know the thumper is...

Bigger

Heavier

Cost more ro run

Higher maintenance time

I still see loads of 4-strokes out on the trails but the racing guys have pretty much abandoned them.

As long as there are (relatively) small companies out there producing bikes, you'll be able to buy a 2-stroke. It just won't come from Japan.

Honda has no plans to pursue fuel injection for its motocross racing engines.
That's a load of crap. If Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki all come out with fuel injection, to even consider the possibility that Honda wouldn't follow suit is absurd. It's all about selling bikes, and fuel injection will sell bikes. Honda isn't stupid, they're the world's largest motorcycle manufacturer for a reason.

That's a load of crap. If Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki all come out with fuel injection, to even consider the possibility that Honda wouldn't follow suit is absurd. It's all about selling bikes, and fuel injection will sell bikes. Honda isn't stupid, they're the world's largest motorcycle manufacturer for a reason.

But when you are the world's largest motorcycle manufacturer, you might feel you can steer your customers desires instead of the other way around. Maybe that's the reason Honda feels it can lure everybody into 4 strokes.

Personally, I haven't ridden any new generation four strokes (only XR, DRZ and the likes), but I know I'd have a very hard time parting with my KTM 2 stroke.

The sharpness, lack of engine braking and fun factor are just so high it makes a 4 stroke feel boring.

Maybe riding a CRF450 will change that :thumbsup:

Roee: Your thoughts on wanting to stay away from the modern day racing machine four strokes is the same as mine was a year ago. then I stepped on a CRF 450 and my thoughts changed. At the end of September last year I bought a used 04 CRF 450. I loved it. But due to the exact reasons that you mentioned about the two stroke, I bought a new 06 yz 250 4 weeks ago. And I absolutely love it. I have an 04 RM 125 that I plan on keeping forever. Just think, 20 years from now when no one has heard a smoker at the track since the likes of Stewart, Villapoto and Tedesco have all retired; I'll show up to the track with this bike and be the old man on a Sunday afternoon smokin all of the locals. The two-stroke will die out someday, but it will be quite a few years away with the popularity of them in the woods.

i think i need a tissue, raising my kids in a 2 stroke free world? thats not right, i cant believe it has come to this, i knew it was coming but i thought it would at least be 10 15 years before it happed, as bad as it sounds, i hope the crf150r is not as good as expected and cannot be competitive in the 85 class, at least that might buy us another year or 2.

This is so much bs! Honda f'ing sucks. I don't know what I am going to do if two strokes die out. :thumbsup:

KEEP TWO SMOKES ALIVE BOYS! (and girls)

Ya but I just looked in your garage and all you have are 4 strokes...Looks like your doing fine without the pingers...

I feel for all you 2-smokers even though I ride 450r, my sled is an 800 smoker, if Skidoo ever decides to go 4 stroke that will be a really sad day me. So I feel your pain....

Honestly I think they're going to ride the Thumper revolution out for ?/5/10/? years then we'll see the trend change again. Why put $'s into 2 types of engine when you can make money through marketing.

The 2 smokes aren't dead and the technology is continuing as we whine.

Evinrude E-TEC uses up to 75% less than typical 2-stroke carbureted engines and up to 50% less oil than competitive direct injection engines And you'll use 30% less oil compared to a 4-stroke with a typical maintenance schedule under normal operating conditions.

That's just the start. The Evinrude E-TEC engines use an exclusive low friction design. There are no belts, no chains, no powerhead gears, no cams, and no mechanized oil pumps.

It's happening in the boat world and other places so there's hope when they 4 stroke hysteria dies.

I could care less if I'm on 2 or 4 strokes but I do like to have a choice and mix'm up from time to time because they're all F-U-N!

I thought I was on Thumpertalk, what is all this Gushing about 2 smokes? lol

Shouldn't you all be on Pingerbanter? It's a new site about lost love of 2

smokes. :thumbsup:

I want my oil injection back!