Sign in to follow this  

Real bad accident at rampart today, 677b

Two guys hit head on at 677b just north of 676, we hung out for a little while but there were folks already there, my buddy Kent went back to the road to guide the rescue in. I know they landed a helicopter too just past the wreck at a small clearing at 677 and 678.

One guy was unconscious, and was badly hurt with a possible spinal injury or broken hip. The other was awake but was bleeding badly from his face and may have had internal injuries. They were both in very bad shape. If anyone has an update please let us know. Two KTM's I believe, one of them the forks were twisted and pushed back almost to the engine.

Thanks to Mark (never met him before) and two of his buddies for taking care of these guys and for Kent hauling ass back to rampart range rd for the rescue crew.

One thing to remember it appears these guys were solo and traveling in opposite directions, rampart IS dangerous and you have to make sure you know what’s beyond a corner before you whip through it.

Hope those guys end up ok because I have not seen one that bad in a long time.

JUst got this update in:

Mark,

We rode by the accident on Sunday at about 10:30am. A troop of guys

came to the scene about 30 minutes later to recover the bikes. A local guy

named Donivan on a 450 Honda hit head on into a KTM 520. I do not know the

KTM rider's name. I understand he was fairly young and also lived in the

Sprucewood area.

We were told two flight for life choppers came in and had they not made

the trip, both riders might have died. We were told Donivan had both lungs

coplasped, shattered pelvis, broke leg and other injuries. The KTM rider had

his jaw driven back into his throat and other injuries. The bike recovery

crew said both riders made it through the night (Saturday).

The KTM had the forks ripped out of the triple clampsand the front

wheel destroyed. The Honda had bent radiator, brake lever broke and header

destroyed. The area they hit was wide open with a slight curve. You would

think they would see each other but were probally going too fast.

This is all I can tell you. We slowed down and rode much slower for the

rest of the day. Very sobering.

Jay D.

Too bad Rampart plans never include one-way trails. It was fun in the 70's and 80's without regulations, it's a F'n death trap now. Last time I was there I was as nervous as a cat after a few hours--3 close calls with head-on's and I went home--and I stayed to the right. Best wishes to those riders.

Just one more reason for me to avoid that place. I have had a few close calls myself. I slow way down when coming to the top of a rise or blind turn but there is always some ASS flying along without regard to who may be over the rise or around the bend.

Hope they're doing ok. Keep us posted if anybody hears anything.

Rampart isn't the slightest bit dangerous. It's a series of trails that we are fortunate to have access to. Now, people treating this public trail system like their own private race course, and going excessively fast around blind corners without any regard for their own safety or that of their fellow trail user, now that's dangerous. As soon as the greenies can attach the label of dangerous, they'll have one more excuse to argue for their predetermined outcome, which is to make that area closed to everyone but them.

I avoid it also. As it is very dangerous due to the two way, free way type trails and the amount of bikes on them. Hope the two injured riders will be OK.

Here is a picture of one of the bikes, if anyone has an update on the riders I would really like to know...it makes me sick.

There is rumor one of them didnt make it...that is rumor only, coming from some folks at sprucewood so lets be carefull with that information. There is no doubt that when I was there they were both fighting for thier lives.

http://obgod3.smugmug.com/gallery/1874270/1/94283903

I fully agree with leardriver. I feel it's the crazies who endanger all of us with no regard for anyone except themselves. I feel that a sign of our current society is just that, people who care about themselves and only after that do they they think or consider their impact on others.

Please be careful to condem Rampart, it's only going to take incidents like this before the bleeding hearts move in and protect us from ourselves! :thumbsup:

We were still unloading our bikes when all the ambulances, search and rescue vehicles passed by. At first we hoped it was a training maneuver but as soon as the helicopter started circling we knew it wasn't for training. It defiantly made me ride more cautiously the rest of the day. I hope the guys are OK.

I agree with Leardriver's statement. I am not sure of the reason why the trails are not one way...but if they were changed...who would mark ALL the trails one way way...where would the funds come from for new signage and manpower...would that make it difficult to get back to your car or the road if you had trouble...who would enforce it?

These are questions I don't expect answers to but just a thought.

I'll volunteer to put them up and pay for a bunch of them.

Making the trails one way is the only way a place with this much traffic will ever be safe to ride. While I'm all in favor of bringing back single track trails to Rampart, part of me is worried about what will happen when two motorcyclists meet on a trail that's 1/3 as wide as most of it is today. I've had more than a few close calls at Rampart and this kind of accident, unfortunately and regrettably, was inevitable.

I'll volunteer to put them up and pay for a bunch of them.

Making the trails one way is the only way a place with this much traffic will ever be safe to ride. While I'm all in favor of bringing back single track trails to Rampart, part of me is worried about what will happen when two motorcyclists meet on a trail that's 1/3 as wide as most of it is today. I've had more than a few close calls at Rampart and this kind of accident, unfortunately and regrettably, was inevitable.

Speeds on singletrack, at least for me, aren't anywhere near the speeds on the kwadded trails of Rampart and Divide. It's pretty easy to hit 40+ MPH on trails that wide but with GOOD singletrack, you're gonna be lucky to hit 25. Just MHO.

As far as making 1 way trails, we already have a bunch who don't care about anyone but themselves, what's to keep that same idiot from running a trail backwards because he was bored with the old direction? Now you have a compound problem, 1 idiot + another rider not expecting anyone coming from the opposite direction = a very serious problem, again IMHO.

I think the best solution is to try to educate the guys you see riding at 100% on two way trails. Maybe signage in the parking areas reminding people would help?

My thoughts are with the gents involved in this accident, I hate hearing about that stuff..

...what's to keep that same idiot from running a trail backwards because he was bored with the old direction? Now you have a compound problem, 1 idiot + another rider not expecting anyone coming from the opposite direction = a very serious problem, again IMHO.

I hear this argument a lot, but I don't get it. There's always going to be some idiot, somewhere, doing something he's not supposed to - so we all have to exercise some caution in everything we do. But, that's a far cry, from two guys boogeying down a trail in opposite directions, each thinking they're 100% in the right. It would seem to me that while the "idiot risk" will always exist, making the trails one way would dramatically reduce the number of potentially dangerous encounters- thus increasing the safety of the Rampart system - something everyone's in favor of (presumably, even the idiots).

Here is a picture of one of the bikes, if anyone has an update on the riders I would really like to know...it makes me sick.

There is rumor one of them didnt make it...that is rumor only, coming from some folks at sprucewood so lets be carefull with that information. There is no doubt that when I was there they were both fighting for thier lives.

http://obgod3.smugmug.com/gallery/1874270/1/94283903

Wow. They must have been flying pretty good to be able to twist those triple clamps like that! I hope they are doing OK.

Seriously, its fun to go fast, but cant we try to keep the WFO stuff to the tracks? Trail riding isn't supposed to be a damn race! Go out, have fun, but keep it under control and ride responsibly. Just my $0.02.

you know a year ago or so on the cotrailriders yahoo group some guys were talking about the speed at rampart. Some of the wed nights riders were talking about how it appeared to be thier right to go as fast as they want. Now I wont name names but I know who some of those guys are and they are fantastic riders but they never seemed to get that they were not good enough to stop on a dime, I still have the thread and I will post it as soon as I find it. But it says a lot about attitude and who thinks they are invincible, its not just the hacks guys, some of the best riders out there think they can handle anything.

After some folks tried to argue the this fact they acttacked otehr riders because they wore jeans or not the latest potective gear....some of those folks were key in organizing work parties and I have since not included myself with this group because of that, and i may get hammred for saying so publicly but you know when you think your better than everyone else.....well I dont need to say anymore.

Two guys fighting for thier lives yesterday is all I can say.

My high horse is over.

We came through and saw the twisted up KTM. The rescue personnel were just leaving. It scared me pretty bad. I hope they all are OK.

It's obvious that these guys were traveling at some speed for that kind of damage to occur but speed isn't always a factor for head ons up there.

I was in one years ago and was far from wide open and I don't think the other guy was riding at his 100% either. I saw him and went to my right, he saw me and went to his left, we both then corrected again and by that time to late. I had a bent pipe and a broken brake lever. I think he had a broken hand.

The place is dangerous because there are people going multiple directions and many are not educated on trail manners. That's the bottom line, how to correct is a much more complicated matter.

Good luck to both those riders and their families!

I've sadly given up the trail riding part of my riding. I'm not that slow or dangerous but it's became abundantly clear to me that the new guys that have came along think trail riding is motocross with a huge track. I'd really like to live to see 80. I'm in my 50's do it is a possibility. I'm going to make the 01 E into a highway touring thumper. The bike is strong enough to do it easily. I wish the two in the wreck God's grace and quick healing, I have a feeling they are going to need it. prairiedawg :thumbsup:

quads are makeing the trails to easy. at one time was a single track now its a wide road. keep the quads on the farm and during hunting season.