Sign in to follow this  

Helped a 4 stroker yesterday....Guess why

OK guys, I have a good one for you. Lets see if anyone nails it? What was the problem? (CRF 250)

Some young guys were in need of tools, so being the dedicated rider I am, and having been young once too. I know what it's like to want to ride and the bike doesn't want to cooperate.

First they thought it fouled a plug. OK, don't see it often on a 4 stroke, but it does happen. First we had to remove the gas tank to get the plug out! (Boy am I looking forward to getting forced into buying a 4 stroke)

New plug....Fires up runs and dies!

Has his buddy pull him fires up, runs up and down for a llittle bit, stops the bike and it dies.

OK, so now I'm thinking fuel. I have him tilt the bike @ 45 Degrees. Fuel comes out overflow, good right?

Bike fires up! He rides it a little, stops. Dies

Now I'm thinking, ok dirty idle jet, right? Another guy jumps in to help. We

take carb apart, clean his jets.

Start bike, he's revving it, I say let it idle. It sits there and idles away.

The guys are ready to ride! Ask if I'll join them. No problem!

I lead, we're going along at a good pace, get to the end of a good straight. I stop at end, and wait. Here comes the CRF still running. He stops, bike dies!!

Take a guess gurus.....What do you think I found? I did find the problem, thank God. Had a great time riding the rest of the day!

Had fun with the young guys, and glad I could help them enjoy it too. :thumbsup:

GOOD GUESS!

Took off gas cap, blew through vent...OK!

Gas = ON!

Valves....not gonna check valves in field.

Problem still there. :thumbsup:

I would guess the fuel petcock was clogged up. I met a guy with a similar problem, but his was a two stroke. I pulled the fuel line off the carb with the gas off, and oil slowly trickled out. He poured his oil into the gas tank then sat with it idling, not even bothering to mix the oil and fuel around, so it all sank to the fuel filter in the petcock.

I was thinking vent tube????? but you said that was ok. If you rode the rest of the day, i don't believe it would be a valve issue, do to the fact that would take a while to adjust. What about plug wire or a short in the kill switch???

one of the vent tubes coming out of the carb was clogged with mud or the vent tube from the crankcase breather was clogged. :thumbsup:

Its a 4 stroke.

^^^thats why....

Did they leave a rag in the airbox or something along those lines?

I was thinking vent tube????? but you said that was ok. If you rode the rest of the day, i don't believe it would be a valve issue, do to the fact that would take a while to adjust. What about plug wire or a short in the kill switch???

DING DING DING.....We have a winner!!!

So, at the last stop where I figured out the problem, this is what happened.

He was getting tired of kicking it, so I said, "Here, hold my Still_Kickin 2 Stroker! :applause:

I get on the bike start kicking it, look to my left and see black electrical tape by the grip.

I SCREAM OUT IN HORROR Double Take is this?

His buddy says, "Oh I fixed that, his kill switch was falling off". :thumbsup:

Again :applause::applause::applause:

I pull off the tape, and there is nothing on the bottom. I tape it on sideways, and we're off!!! :ride:

I'm glad most of you started with the obvious, because that is exactly where I started. I just didn't even think kill switch! :ride::applause::ride:

His buddy says, "Oh I fixed that, his kill switch was falling off". :thumbsup:

Again :applause::applause::applause: DOH..!!!

I pull off the tape, and there is nothing on the bottom. I tape it on sideways, and we're off!!! :ride:

I'm glad most of you started with the obvious, because that is exactly where I started. I just didn't even think kill switch!

The electrical tape drew your attention to it....I never would have guessed...

if they left a rag in the air box, i don't think you could even get it started??

yea I have seen it done and ridden with, I have even seen a plastic bag over the filter before...

u wana hear a funny story.. about 4 months ago was the local races and i fell of in practise and my killswtitch got munched in the bars. and the kill switch got pushed so hard it went thru the other side and jammed. Took me about 2hours to figure out why my fuggin bike wouldnt start..oo i was mad :applause::applause::applause:

oh yeah missed all my races and all my points i would of got. :thumbsup: