XR250 Rough idle/ flooding

I have a XR250 96 model and it won't idle properly and appears to be flooding. Checked float level and carb etc. Checked valves and timing.

Here's the funny bit. It will typically always start but runs rough like it's flooding. Turn off the fuel tap and a few seconds later it run smooth. OK float to high, but the next second after it runs smooth it cuts out. Surely it doesn't drain the fuel bowl that quick to cut out ??

Thinking electrical as the (New) plug was sooty and wet. Found spark plug cap faulty but still no good. Checked ignition coil and stator resistance but OK. Had dodgey CDI before but difficult to check ?

Any ideas.

Chucky.

Did you check the float needle and seat? Either your float is sticking or the float needle is not sealing. The tip of the needle is a rubbery material that eventually will have a ring worn on the taper at which point it won't shut off the fuel supply. It doesn't sound at all like ignition.

If the float is sticking, try rapping the side of the float bowl with a wood dowel or screwdriver handle. In re-assembly, something might have been bent. My Harley does this every spring when I put gas in it for the first time. I store it with the carburator completely drained. Gas will run out the overflow until I rap the carb. All your symtoms point to a sticking float.

:applause:? It sounds like a carb problem,no doubt,if your absolutley sure that spark is not the culprit,do a total carb clean out,off the bike,blow out all passages with compressed air,use the owners manual,or microfich off the net,to be sure your putting it back together right,I've gone through the same thing on my 97cr250,and your not gonna believe how small the debris was that was clogging up the works,a sliver of fuel line that came off during me cutting the line to fit in the field with a pocket knife,it was so small,so yeah,I have seen it happen before.

Thanks for all the responses and I finally found out the problem. Someone had drilled out the pilot jet. Whilst checking the carb I looked at the pilot (#45) and the hole appeared large. So I checked it against another one I had and it was 10 times the size it should have been. It was the same diameter all the way through instead of stepped down to the correct size. Only had a #48 so put it in and all fixed. This has been a bike someone has done too much fiddling with. Alway good to find the exact problem.

Thanks again to all responses.

now happy Chucky. ?