Snowball 3 wk project, but wrapping up: forks, piston, RNC head +

Just started off swapping 250 springs front and rear for 450 stock springs all around. While forks all disassembled, decide to check valves.there checked valves and they needed shimming.

They were out of spec. Re shim and prepare to reinstall cam shaft. Faulty torque wrench caused me to brake a cam holder. Doh! Learn painfully that you cant buy a camholder, they are machined with the head :applause: Oh well, not too keen on shimming since its just a band-aid. So I ordered a new RHC 2007 head with valves.

Well, since Im in there and waiting for head, might as well replace piston thats staring up at me - esp. since Im at 50 hrs or so. Install piston JE piston. Learn a lot about micing the head from dealer and making sure piston clearances all good.Dealer said all was well. Learned to hone a cylinder with the flex hone. Feeling like a bad ass now :thumbsup: Got piston installed. Pretty easy (presuming it works when fired up).

I got the forks overhauled and reinstalled while waiting for head. Fun job! Fell good having done it - hope 450 springs make a difference.

While waiting for head I decide to take a look at clutch as its been acting funny. Springs way out of speck, plates a little out of speck. Get a Hinson clutch basket, Pro Circuit springs, and a Honda Clutch kit. Learn that you shouldn't have pieces left over. Strange buffer washer left off kick start gear in basket. Have to re do. Get back together, receive clutch kit. Doh! Its for an X! Have to reorder.

In the mean time head comes in. Goes well, but cant get timing lined up after cranking and cranking the kick starter - just ain't happening. Decide to pull cam. Then I lined up right case timing marks, then lined up right cam sprocket marks, then put in cam trying to keep lobes up and rearward while cam sprocket marks aligned as well. Several attempts and I finally got it (I hope).

So now I sit one spark plug and one clutch kit away from getting this snowball of a project done. Well, once back together going to have to tweak sag from suspension redo - the original project that got this whole mess started. And praying that it fires right up. Im hoping Murphy;s Law bypasses me. Kinda of a newbie hitting all these projects - could I score a three point half court shot? Stay tuned....

Once it fires up and you feel the additional power from the new 07 head, high comp. piston and fresh clutch it will all be worth it. Still looking forward to getting the results from your A$$ dyno... You should definitely feel the gains... Once you get the new jetting sorted out... Sorry I had to add that to the list.

You're becoming quite the mechanic. :thumbsup:

Did you turn the motor over my hand slowly after you got done to make sure everything moves freely?

Once it fires up and you feel the additional power from the new 07 head, high comp. piston and fresh clutch it will all be worth it. Still looking forward to getting the results from your A$$ dyno... You should definitely feel the gains... Once you get the new jetting sorted out... Sorry I had to add that to the list.

Crap, no more things for the to do list. Explain why I might need to rejet and which direction it is likely to go (leaner vs richer?) Thansk for the support. Looking forward to the A$$ dyno as well!

You're becoming quite the mechanic. :thumbsup:

Did you turn the motor over my hand slowly after you got done to make sure everything moves freely?

Kind of, but not formally yet. When I was trying to get my timing to line of I hand cranked it about 15 times (dry). Everything seems to move as it shouldwhenj turning right crank: with that easy turning, followed by resistance, followed by that sucking sound, followed by it turning itslef that last part of the stoke.

What would you recommend as for break in procedure and length. I was going to turn it ovewr anouther 50 times dry. Then put oil in it and and fire it up. Presuming it runs fine, rifdde it like I stole it for 5 minutes. Let it cool, ride normal.

I do feel good about getting in there and trying it. But as you are painfully aware, I have a thousand questions. I tend to over thinking a lot of things. I make a bunch of miskates (as you know - broken cam holder, etc), but I try my best not to let it get me down and keep trying. I have no fear going in - you just have to answer all the inane question :applause: I learn a ton with every project. And as good as the manual is, and the MPV videos I use, nothing ever goes quite as planned.

Thanks for the support.

Break it in hard, but use lots of engine braking. You'll feel the motor get stronger as it breaks in and loosens up.

Crap, no more things for the to do list. Explain why I might need to rejet and which direction it is likely to go (leaner vs richer?) Thansk for the support. Looking forward to the A$$ dyno as well!

Sorry, I was being facetious. (adding to your list) You probably should not have to re jet... As long as your jetting was good before hand!

Jetting will make alot of difference if your jetting is set right...... Set it to the altitude that you live in .....

If your mixture is to rich your rings and spark plug take extra wear.

If you are too lean it get very very vey hot.....

Follow the manual and all is good...

It will take about 30 minutes to jet... And 2 hours to very finely tune it...

Good luck i recomend that you do jet.... :thumbsup:

Jetting will make alot of difference if your jetting is set right...... Set it to the altitude that you live in .....

If your mixture is to rich your rings and spark plug take extra wear.

If you are too lean it get very very vey hot.....

Follow the manual and all is good...

It will take about 30 minutes to jet... And 2 hours to very finely tune it...

Good luck i recomend that you do jet.... :thumbsup:

No, I know how to rejet, I just thought he meant a new piston and valves would REQUIRE new jetting. I thought I had the jetting set right. But I am skepticle now after posts about my piston head, vlaves and spark plug said I wasnt; but like most posts, they often contradict each other.

Old valves and Plug

Old piston

Bike was running fine, except for some hard starts after stalls when hot, but the valves were way off.....

No, I know how to rejet, I just thought he meant a new piston and valves would REQUIRE new jetting. I thought I had the jetting set right. But I am skepticle now after posts about my piston head, vlaves and spark plug said I wasnt; but like most posts, they often contradict each other.

Old valves and Plug

Old piston

Bike was running fine, except for some hard starts after stalls when hot, but the valves were way off.....

Looks like you might be running rich there.

Kind of, but not formally yet. When I was trying to get my timing to line of I hand cranked it about 15 times (dry). Everything seems to move as it shouldwhenj turning right crank: with that easy turning, followed by resistance, followed by that sucking sound, followed by it turning itslef that last part of the stoke.

What would you recommend as for break in procedure and length. I was going to turn it ovewr anouther 50 times dry. Then put oil in it and and fire it up. Presuming it runs fine, rifdde it like I stole it for 5 minutes. Let it cool, ride normal.

I do feel good about getting in there and trying it. But as you are painfully aware, I have a thousand questions. I tend to over thinking a lot of things. I make a bunch of miskates (as you know - broken cam holder, etc), but I try my best not to let it get me down and keep trying. I have no fear going in - you just have to answer all the inane question :thumbsup: I learn a ton with every project. And as good as the manual is, and the MPV videos I use, nothing ever goes quite as planned.

Thanks for the support.

What a coincidence lol

Looks like you might be running rich there.

A little rich or a lot rich? I want having any drivability issues so its hard to know if you are jetted wrong (that could cause damage) and not know it.

My general process would be in the fall when it cools down I increase the main.

Well, I fired her up today. Couldnt wait until I had opportunity to do a long hard break in. It took about 10 kicks to get iut started and keep it started. Hadnt been started in a while and carb was not saturated. There was also one strange pop from the exhaust that I didnt hear again. Once it warmed up I took for a roll.

OMG!!!!! the A$$ dyno was fantastic! Felt better than day 1. Its amazing how insidious the loss of power is over 50 hrs on the bike. Dramatic difference. With new 2007 head and Fererra valves (per RHC) and a new JE psiton, its hard to tell which provides themost. But the combination is fantastic. Will monitor the valve specs over time to give some results on the new 2007 head. Cant wait to try it on the track, esp to test those 450 springs I put in all around. Ride is very pluish around the block....

Thanks for everyones help along the way!!!

I vote Slinger for MVP this season.

I have enjoyed reading the threads as I have gotten quite sick of the old reliability and valve threads. Thanks for sharing Todd :thumbsup:

I vote Slinger for MVP this season.

I have enjoyed reading the threads as I have gotten quite sick of the old reliability and valve threads. Thanks for sharing Todd :thumbsup:

Thanks Mike. I appreciate that. I always laugh because I am a Titanium member because of 75% questions asked, not questions answered :lame: