06 yz450f gytr skid plate

Just got it figured since all the other yamaha aftermarket parts i got were a perfect fit that this would too but it isnt. it doesn't have the slots like the stock one so it has to be lined up perfect and i dont really have the patients for that every time i do an oil change. so if anyone is thinking of getting one beware of that. if anyone is intersted in it its up for sale i didn't even mount it because i couldnt get the 3rd screw lined up and didn't want to cross thread it. Anyone know if the works connection one or any of the carbon fiber ones mount a little easier?

I don't think so! The 06 GYTR skid plates are built for a perfect fit on that year of bike. I understand that there is no slop in the holes, but the problem might lie within your frame being tweaked! :applause:

These skid plates are killer! ?

I agree. I had to enlargen the oild drain hole and also drilled additional holes for better cooling, but the fit is perfect.

116CJ, did you get the enduro plate or mx plate? Anyway, there is no need to remove the plate every time you change oil.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351811&page=5&pp=10&highlight=gytr+skid

I bought a GYTR just recently and I was only able to get 2 of the 3 holes to align. The basic problem is that the 2 front holes on the plate are too far apart by a mm. Trying to get both front bolts in requires patience, which I didn't have. I was also worried about binding I felt on the front bolts as I turned them. I didn't want to damage any threads. So, I sent it back for another. I know it's not my frame. I only have 10 hours on the bike and I haven't put it down. They really should have made at least one of the front 2 holes elongated to account for tolerance.

Just got the 2nd GYTR glide plate from Yamaha and will try to install it tomorrow. The first thing that I noticed is that the 2nd plate has the letters GYTR stamped on it. The first plate did not have anything stamped on it. I don't know if this makes a difference, but I will report back here about the fit.

I tried installing the 2nd GYTR plate and had the same problem. The front two mounting holes are too far apart.

Rather than sending it back for a refund, I guess I'll break out the old rat-tail file and elongate the existing holes on the plate. It shouldn't take much.

So much for the thinking that a Yamaha part will fit a Yamaha.

I tried installing the 2nd GYTR plate and had the same problem. The front two mounting holes are too far apart.

Rather than sending it back for a refund, I guess I'll break out the old rat-tail file and elongate the existing holes on the plate. It shouldn't take much.

Geez, what a novel idea ? I remember a time when virtually every aftermarket part had to be fitted by hand. I was wondering if anyone would ever suggest what you just did.

As far as it being a Yamaha part, most of the GYT-R line is made in the aftermarket for Yamaha to their specs, or off-the-shelf parts that Yamaha likes and has re-labeled.

How do you get the right hand side drain plug back in??? I got it back in once, but it was so difficult that I pulled the plate off for the next oil change.

True, Ben, I had to grind the plate to enlargen the drain hole, it was really difficult to onscrew the drain plug. If I remember right, 15 mm longer hole both towards front and rear.

Geez, what a novel idea ? I remember a time when virtually every aftermarket part had to be fitted by hand. I was wondering if anyone would ever suggest what you just did.

So true Greyracer...these youngsters do not know how easy they have it these days....during the 70s/80s no aftermarket part would fit right...some were so off it was ridiculous.....I remember having to reweld brackets on old Bassani pipes and suspension parts were a real pain to make fit. And in those days if you did not have a grinder to make parts fit...you were S.O.L. The Aftermarket fit quality for almost everything really had a crappy name in those days of MXing...you got used to - :foul:in

True, Ben, I had to grind the plate to enlargen the drain hole, it was really difficult to onscrew the drain plug. If I remember right, 15 mm longer hole both towards front and rear.

Ah, now the truth comes out! You lied, you do need to take the plate off to do an oil change unless the hole is modified! Anyway, I was thinking about making the hole bigger, but didn't want to compromise the protection the plate gives. I might do it, 'cause I'm also afraid of ruining the threads in the frame too from taking the plate off all the time. ?

Ah, now the truth comes out! You lied, you do need to take the plate off to do an oil change unless the hole is modified! Anyway, I was thinking about making the hole bigger, but didn't want to compromise the protection the plate gives. I might do it, 'cause I'm also afraid of ruining the threads in the frame too from taking the plate off all the time. ?

Yes, I had to take the plate off once, but I said earlier

"there is no need to remove the plate every time you change oil."

You got me, but I never lie. :lame:

So true Greyracer...these youngsters do not know how easy they have it these days....during the 70s/80s no aftermarket part would fit right...some were so off it was ridiculous.....I remember having to reweld brackets on old Bassani pipes and suspension parts were a real pain to make fit. And in those days if you did not have a grinder to make parts fit...you were S.O.L. The Aftermarket fit quality for almost everything really had a crappy name in those days of MXing...you got used to - :foul:in

? You think that's bad? I remember the times when I actually had to make the parts and then make them fit! Nah, just kidding, but it would have been true for some guys.