Sign in to follow this  

I rode it . . . not an adult play.

I rode it at Starwest yesterday and I was pretty bummed on it. It's almost has a two-stroke power band. It has almost nothing until somewhere around 8 grand, then it kick in and rips. Well, that's great if you 13 years old and just got off an 85/100cc bike, but not for an old adult like me. Other things it needs before it hits the dirt. (for an adult) taller, wider bars, a top clamp that moves the bars forward, wider pegs, and front and rear springs and valving.

Back to the powerband. It doesn't have that crf250 chunkyness that I've been used to on our XR conversions and TTR150's. However, Starwest is a small tight jumpy track, which isn't the best place for me to get used to that type of bike. Also, there was a little kid out there just ripping it up on one, so this opinion is NOT geared toward kids. Again, It's great for the two stroke kid. Also, this is only my $.02 and I don't want to get into any debates about it, I'm just posting this this so older people don't start selling everything to get one right away. I'm sure someone will make a cam and pipe to make it exactly what I want. But for now, I can still remodel my bathroom's with the money I won't be spending for a while.

I just went and looked at the engine specs. The bore is large, but the stroke is relatively small at 44mm. Just for comparison, the DR-Z125 has a stroke of 49mm in its 125cc engine. That basically means that Honda set up the engine to be a revver. Sounds like it will make peak HP at high RPMs, but was not designed to have much torque.

I took a look at specs on some other bikes. The CRF80 has a 45mm stoke. That shows how much Honda is trying to make this engine a revver: a bike with about half the total cc's has a larger stroke. These are not negative comments, I just find Honda's choice of bore and stroke very interesting.

thats a race bike for sure. i erally figured this. in order for the 150 to have good numbers against the 85, it had to be very revvy, and have an aggresive power band, with out much else. but 21 hp is really good.

i heard that since this bike revs so much you'll need to adjust the valves all the time, even more so than the 450's? is this true?

Im racing it tomorrow I will give ya a real report !!!

What class are you racing it in?

Also will this bike dominate over all the other 85 2 strokes (while they last) like the 250's in the 125 class?

I mentioned this in another post. This new 4 stroke will soon be able to race at most any track against 85cc 2 strokes legally. The AMA WILL approve it ASAP.

The AMA is in Hondas back pocket. Always have been.

I mentioned this in another post. This new 4 stroke will soon be able to race at most any track against 85cc 2 strokes legally. The AMA WILL approve it ASAP.

The AMA is in Hondas back pocket. Always have been.

You need to know how the rules process works. Honda will not be in the meetings that will determine the class limit. The rule for the change has not been proposed, so it will need to be brought up verbally in session. Then it will be up to about 8 people to decide this. Will it pass if brought up? Probably, but don't count your chickens yet. How do I know? I will be there! Tdub

40 inter at glen helen cant wait .My son rode today a competitive edge said he did every jump but one ,he rides 250 pro . I will let you guys know what I think tomorrow.

I just got my 2007 crf150r yesterday i love the bike its so nice. So im going to give a race report for you guys. The bike sounds like a 250f when you start it when you ride it o my goth the 85s have no chance at all if you closs your eyes and here it go you will think it is a 250f. That guy that thinks it wont be a good adult pit bike hes rong my dad rode and he was just as fast as he was on his 2006 yz250f so there you go i give the bike a two thumps up.