High Altitude Jetting

I tried searching the Jetting forum but most of it wasnt for an RMZ. I know I need to lean out the carb all the way across the board from Pilot to Main. What are you guys running at altitudes around 5000ft? My bike is a stock 05 RMZ450 and it runs good but the plug is black and wet every time I look at it so I know I can tune it and get a little better mixture.

We live at 5000ft+ and run the 05 RMZ450 on a 165 main, needle on the 3rd clip. The pilot we have found some bikes run well with a 38 pilot, yet others, don't like it and run a 40 pilot. My first two 05 RMZ's ran well with the 38 pilot, yet the 3rd one worked better with a 40 pilot. We have also changed the leak jet from the stock 35 to a 40 for a little leaner on that circuit. Remember the leak jet works opposite to a normal jetting system. The bigger number means more fuel bypasses the circuit and less fuel goes into the engine, which means leaner.

The stock jetting on the European and rest of the world models is a 170 main and a 42 pilot. I know the US Model comes with a 165 main as stock, and think a 42 pilot is the stock pilot jet. As far as I know the only difference is the main.

I went with the 160 main and stock pilot with the needle in 3rd position from top. The bike runs awesome with quick response from idle to WOT. The plug is a nice tan color so I think it is right on but since I rejetted it the bike has started puking coolant. It isnt a lot but it is enough to notice. Is this a lean condition causing it to run hot? Should I go with a 162 main? It has cooled off since I rejetted it and yesterday it was in the low 70's. Maybe that caused it to be too lean?

In my opinion, it is spewing coolant because it is running hot because it is too lean. I would richen it up by one or two main jet sizes. Being a little on the rich side on the main, is not a problem on a 450. As long as the pilot system is spot on, the bike will pull nicely like that. You can also try getting a stiffer 1.6 bar radiator cap, and also running Engine ice or similar. That will keep it running cooler as well as stop the unnecessary overflow from the radiators.

• 3 weeks later...

After rejetting to a 162 and moving up one on the clip the bike runs great. But now I have to use the hot start to start it. When it was stock i never used the hot start and could easily start it in gear. Now it wont start without the hot start, but wehen I do use the hot start it fires very easily, i barely have to kick it. Why the change with only a main jet and needle clip change?

Another you guys might think about is what your running for exhaust. On my '05 I use an FMF Powerbomb system with a Titanium 4 silencer. When I ride moto-x I just run it open as it's meant to be. But when I run Hare Scrambles or woods ride I need to put in a FMF spark arrestor and FMF quiet insert which of course changes the backpressure. Then the whole carb. needs to be leaned way out.