Aluminum tank for YZ???

OK, I know this is a long shot, but I had to ask.....

I was watching the outdoor nationals today, and I heard Ping saying that a lot of the guys were running Aluminum tanks. I don't know if he was joking or what! I'd love to get an aluminum tank for my 99 YZ400 supermoto. It would definatly solve all my problems with graphics going crappy and peeling off!!

What are the chances that any of you guys know where I could find one of these (if they exist)? Probably slim to none, and I'm most likely out of luck!!

most of those factory bikes have custom hand built tanks on them. so you better find a fabricator if you want one.

A guy told me I could find them on rigomoto.it. The only problem is I can't speak a lick of italian!! Damn it!!

ok...seriously, why do you need an aluminum tank. if ya think that your radiators get banged up when you go down hard enough, that tank is gonna fold. the plastic one is light, IT FITS YOUR BIKE, and it holds fuel, what more do you want?! K.I.S.S.- Keep it simple, stupid...and thats what the factorys did on the bikes you own, the pros bikes can have a new tank every weekend if thats what they want...you dont have that luxuary. unless you have deep pockets

ok...seriously, why do you need an aluminum tank. if ya think that your radiators get banged up when you go down hard enough, that tank is gonna fold. the plastic one is light, IT FITS YOUR BIKE, and it holds fuel, what more do you want?! K.I.S.S.- Keep it simple, stupid...and thats what the factorys did on the bikes you own, the pros bikes can have a new tank every weekend if thats what they want...you dont have that luxuary. unless you have deep pockets

Well, it's for my street use supermoto, so as far as going down hard, the bike will be the least of my concerns. I checked and pavement is still undefeated! I'm looking to get an aluminum tank so that when I put on the custom graphics I'm having made, they won't yellow and peel off in 6 months, also the DMV here does not allow plastic tanks on motorcycles, so when I'm on the side of the road with the trooper, I'd like to try to have it as legal as possible. I have the money to invest in the tank, it's finding one that has been the problem.

i saw one at the local track, powder coated a super nice colour, it was trick sh!t :thumbsup:

http://www.rigomoto.it/italiano/home.htm

RigoMoto has them allright.

Alloy gastank 8 10 13 17 24 lt:

Yamaha YZF/WRF 400-426-450

to specify year and model

lt 8: 415,00€ (iva esclusa)

lt 10-13: 520,00€ (iva esclusa)

lt 17-24: 725,00€ (iva esclusa)

Prices are EUR without tax and shipping.

I wonder how a 450 looks like with a 24 liter tank :thumbsup:

Aluminumgastank.jpg

A guy told me I could find them on rigomoto.it. The only problem is I can't speak a lick of italian!! Damn it!!

I found a link. http://www.rigomoto.it/italiano/home.htm

Just learn how to say...SPR 12......and Visa. They can handle it from there.

Most Spanish speaking folks can communicate with someone from Italy. Usually its not too hard to find a spanish speaking person.

Hey, great info guys. I emailed them and got a reply back, IN ENGLISH!! Looks like I'm cruise control from here. Thanks!!!

Whalerboy,

I want to hear about the tank your getting because I might want one and am weeks away from buying a new plastic POS. You could also call Race Tools to ask if they know of any sources for a tank (they are good at that kind of stuff).

What do you think about just getting a quick disconnect fuel line and draining your fuel to keep the graphics looking good? That is my primary plan.

BTW- Metal tanks are required by the manufacturer. NY does not require metal otherwise. Not that you wouldn't get hassled, but you wouldn't be wrong with a plastic tank on the street.

Of all people, my wife, came up with a great idea. I'm just not sure about it's viability. She suggested, rather than buying a whole tank, "why don't you just get a cover that goes over the tank like your blaster has?" Damn her for intelligent ideas! Anybody think that it would be the way to go?

I know the was a company (Hot Tops?) that was making plastic tank skins to go over the tank. From reading old posts on here, it sounds like they did a great job of preventing all the bubbling problems, but they were brittle and would break. Can't find them anywhere online now, probably long gone.

What about getting some made? I could take my tank off after for the winter and take it to somebody to fab up some cover(s) to go over the tank. I wonder if it would be cheaper to go plastic or metal.

Again, the sole purpose of this is to stop the bubbling of the tank graphics on my '99 YZ400F street legal supermoto. Many of you probably think I'm pretty much retarted, and you have a point there. This is my streetbike, and I want it to look GOOD. I want to fix the problem, but if I can do it without spending 500 lira (or whatever), I'm all for it. If I end up having to spend the $$$, I'll do it, but I'd rather spend that money on something more worthwhile......like strippers!

Thoughts??????????

Try BBR, I once bought a YZ400 that had a BBR tank "cover" that was made just for that reason. Give 'em a try.

I wonder if we found someone who was good with aluminum if he might be able to do the cover? That would look damn good.

Why don't you just duct tape a bunch of beer cans onto it? I can work on getting you some (of the beer cans). :thumbsup:

I knew if I waited long enough, somebody would come up with a low cost solution.

I have plently of "raw material" for this project!!! I could put them on with the label out, I could just tell people I'm with the Factory Yamaha Labatt Blue team.

Those new heavy duty bud light bottles would be more durable but are probably harder to work with.

Why don't you make your own cover out of fiberglass squares and resin? I researched how to make fiberglass subwoofer enclosures a few years ago and it sounded pretty simple, I think the same thing would apply here. You just sand and paint it once it dries. :thumbsup:

Why don't you make your own cover out of fiberglass squares and resin? I researched how to make fiberglass subwoofer enclosures a few years ago and it sounded pretty simple, I think the same thing would apply here. You just sand and paint it once it dries. :thumbsup:

You just gave me a great idea!! What about instead of using fiberglass cloth I used caron fiber? I saw a webiste once where a guy was making his own carbon fiber pieces by putting the carbon fiber over the original and using a bag and a vaccum to form it. Hmmmm I have a lot to think about now.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm a nut job. Over the course of three days I've gone from paying anything for an aluminum tank, to now wanting to make my own tank skins on the cheap. :lame: