Tools for cutting airbox?

Has anyone here had any success cutting the top of their airbox off besides using a dremel drill..

I have the air box fully removed so it is easy to work on..but was wondering if like an exacto knife would cut it good without butchering it..

thanks guys just trying to avoid buying a new dremel

I used a razor knife. Cuts great and no clean up. Just cut away from your body. You have to use a little force to move the blade and if the blade slips out you could have a hole in your shorts and thigh!!!!

Agreed, the razor knife should work just fine (assuming the plastic is no thicker than my drz400). Just rock the blade back and forth and have a little patience.

Use a magic marker to give you a line to follow and just slowly run a carpet knife / blade down the line. Control your preasure cause it can jump. Dont use a cheap thin blade that might snap on you. It's easy and leaves no burs to clean!!!!

Use a magic marker to give you a line to follow and just slowly run a carpet knife / blade down the line. Control your preasure cause it can jump. Dont use a cheap thin blade that might snap on you. It's easy and leaves no burs to clean!!!!

thats what I call The way to do it.

• 12 years later...

Hi. Yeah I cut the top of the airbox out using a craft knife blade held in vice grips. Got the blade red hot with a gas torch..... cut through the plastic like it was butter. It left a clean edge and left no messy dust to clean up inside the airbox.