Bigger fuel tank on truck

Have any of you guys put a bigger fuel tank on your deisel trucks. I have found a 52 gallon to fit where my stock tank is. It sit a little lower but fills in the voids. It cost $800 ? but i hate having to stop for fuel. I have a 05 duramax gmc crew cab if that helps. Thanks

Some of the hazards of doing this are:

-If the tank is deeper (top to bottom dimension) than your stock tank, a different fuel pump must be utilized in order to take advantage of the extra fuel capacity, If not, you will have the fuel, but the pump can't reach it.

-You must use a different fuel level sender, for the stock sender also won't reach all they way.

-If the tank does come with these parts, if they fail, it may be difficult to get replacement parts.

-The larger tank will require different fuel tank mounting straps, as it has a different exterior dimension.

-If you can deal with all these factors, then $800 for the tank and parts isn't all that bad when you add it all up. There's a lot of parts there!

I've looked into this as well. The 26 gallon tank on my 2500Crew is Horse Puckey! I would love to just have the standard 32!

I have to add a couple of Q?s.

One concern I have is the fuel radiator (that's what it looks like) just in front of your stock tank. I doubt GM would add this if it wasn't needed. It appears to be there to cool the unused fuel returning to the tank. Does the new tank retain this part?

If the big tank is a "transfer tank" does it have the same pump problems?

What brand is the tank you found?

My DEVIOUS ? idea is to add a bed tank (the ones you use to fuel up your bobcat) and plumb it to the engine. This way you could run cheaper "non highway" fuel and not have to worry about the dreaded $10,000 tank stick. Then you could use the stock tank as a backup (though you would have to use it on occasion to keep it fresh)

well if you would of bought a dodge you wouldnt have to worry about that i have in 06 cummings and my parents have in 06 duramax and we go to the lake its 200 miles they have to fill up before we go back and my truck doesnt because i have 35 gallon just shows dodge is the only real truck now ford and chevy al have little tanks

well if you would of bought a dodge you wouldnt have to worry about that i have in 06 cummings and my parents have in 06 duramax and we go to the lake its 200 miles they have to fill up before we go back and my truck doesnt because i have 35 gallon just shows dodge is the only real truck now ford and chevy al have little tanks

Fuel tank size is not dependant on brand, but wheel base. Mostly, the fuel tank is dependant on box size, but cab configuration comes into play somewhat. The fuel tank needs space, and it cannot be placed under the cabin of a PU without excessive plumbing, so it goes underneath the box. If one purchases a PU with the tiny box, you get the tiny tank.

If one purchases a PU with the tiny box, you get the tiny tank.

Are you saying I have a tiny box?!? I'm not compensating for anything! I, um, er, NEEDED a giant truck for, um, TOWING, yeah, that's it, towing.

Tiny box, ha, I'm not compensating fer nuthin....... ??:bonk::lame::eek:

the ford has a 38gal tank for the LB ? take that and shove it up your dodge tail pipe :lame: