Sign in to follow this  

Red Sticker Riding in So Cal

Just bought a 2004 Yamaha 250F for my son and want to take him out this Sunday for a test ride. He usually rides the track on his 85 but would like him to get comfortable on the bike first before taking him to the track. Is there any where in So Cal to ride this bike legally. Also would be interested in meeting up with others for day rides in the So cal area.

What kind of riding would you be looking for ?

For open desert riding, I just go out to Cal City. Nobody bothers you for red sticker stuff. Plus, they have a track out there, now.

For single track forest type riding, Kennedy Meadows is red sticker all year long.

Others will chime in with their favorites.

Red sticker season is almost upon us. Oct 1 for most places.

Looking for more open riding with some hill climbs so he can get used to the power. Trying to stay away from any track riding for his first time out on the bike. Was going to go to Ocotillo but had a freind get stopped last weekend and told to pack up and leave or get a ticket.

Oh, so you are more So. So. Cal.

I don't know of any places down there.

Cal City is open riding and if you go north about 5-6 miles, they have some hills there.

Stoddard Valley (between Victorville and Barstow on the 15) should be open riding, but I don't know if they check stickers.

Good luck.

you can ride in apple valley (bell mountain) of stoddard wells road. open riding, no one checks stickers.

If you are in SD County, you might consider Rancho Villareal, a couple of miles east of Tecate on the Mexican side. http://www.lapuertaoffroad.com/

Sticker, you don't need no stinkin sticker in Mexico.

They have some trails that loop in the area. Probably a 9 mile loop or so. Fun little area. Single track, fire road, sand wash. Lots of woops. A little bit of everything compacted in one area. They charge 5 bucks a bike.

Hey All,

Got an e-mail from Lt. Steve Colerick of the California City

Police Department and this is what he said about "Red Sticker" riding:

"There is no restriction for type of sticker (red or green) in California City. Just as long as you have one or the other and it is valid and current."

Thought this might help you too.

Pardon the lesson... This can get confusing, especially in So. Cal. Their is BLM land usually Desert/Open areas and their is N.F. (Forest) land run by Rangers who for the most part looking for fire hazards like no spark arresters. Which are mostly attached to a Red sticker bikes nowadays.

Stick with the desert...

-ORJ :thumbsup:

not near the freeway at Stoddard Wells Road, just to clarify. A few miles out on Stoddard where the road is dirt is still legal.

you can ride in apple valley (bell mountain) of stoddard wells road. open riding, no one checks stickers.

how strict are places like El Mirage and OC wells, gorman, on this red sticker crap?

They are extremely tight about it at Gorman. They check at El Mirage.

Stick to Stoddard / Cal-city. Or take him to Cahullia. The kids track there is rarely used.

-fu

Go to Plaster city. There's never anyone bothering you out there. Quick and easy driving too. 8 east to ocotillo exit...unload and ride anywhere you want.

Thanks for all the good info. looks like we might pick-up a CRF150r expert for him today and head to Elsinore track this weekend instead.

I originally bought the 250F for me to ride the track with him, but as soon as he put a leg over it he decided he was ready to move up from his 85. He got to test ride a 150r the other day and we felt it was a better fit for his size. Although he is 16, he is only 5'-5" and 112 lbs. As far as buying him another bike the kid is spoiled in that arena. He has two built klx110's that he races and a race ready 85. He is going to keep one 110 and sell one to pay for the new bike. If he decides he likes the 150 he wants to sell the 85 to make the 150 ready to race. Hard to believe just a year and a half ago our life was on the soccer field, until a freind asked my son if he wanted to take his xr50 for a spin around the block. Now our whole life revolves around riding dirt bikes, including my wife who at 40 and had never ridden a motorcycle in her life. I just finished a tricked out DRZ125L for her to ride this season at the desert.