One tooth bigger on front sprocket crf 450

• 3 months later...

Regarding an 2006 CRF450R

I have run 13/48 on the track and 14-48 for Desrt/GP's

I was curios to the differences. The 14 tooth counter sprocket is 8% greater ratio than stock.

full speed in 5th the difference would be 87mph(stock) 93.96mph(14t)

8 MPH hairpin = 8.64 MPH with the 14th.

The math shows how increasing the counter also increases the spread between gears. So you give a lot less bottom end for a large increase in top end.

It does make 1st tall but works fine unless you are crawling a corner.

• 3 weeks later...

I bumped up to a 14/49 on my crf450 and I love it. I may go up to a 50 on the back, but the 49 is just fine. The stock gearing ratio is a 3.69 and this is a 3.5. It doesn't stand up as easily as it used to in the lower gears but it still has all the stomp I need. :applause:

• 5 years later...

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but its relevant. ?

Just ordered a 14/48 and 520 DID 114 link chain

JT 520 Steel Rear Sprocket 48

JT 520 Front Countershaft Sprocket 14

DID 520 Standard Roller Chain 114

Hoping this will be a good setup. Got a Dunlop D 952? x19 on the rear with the bridgestone ultra heavy duty tube. On the front I have a Bridgestone Desert tire with the bridgestone ultra heavy duty tube on the front. Took it off my KX 250 spare rim setup from a few years ago.

My question, Is 14/48 gearing enough to get me off the start line fast in a desert race?

I have a Tokyo mods chip and carb mod, so there is plenty of power, so I am hoping to be good. Some people put a 49 in the back, just wondering if that would help me at all.

The race this month is only a 7 mile loop over 1 hour. Lots of sand. Hoping this will be a good enough setup.

Edited by Eric Schrader

Okay. Take it out in the street start it, let it properly warm up. Open the throttle 100% hold it there pull the clutch in POP it into first then drop the clutch as fast as you can.

Tell me if it loops out and ill tell you if it will give you a goof start.

To answer your question in a non smart ass fashion. You have not converted your bike to a bonniville streamliner. Don't worry about the start alot of people start in 2nd.

Also that gearing kicks ass except on a moto track.... You'll use first in some corners and you have The pesky problem of upshifting into neutral. Hence mxers reason for using lower gearing to use higher gears and stay away from first and neutral.

Ride at the the track and the sand, mostly run 14/48 sand and 13/48 track. I personally like the 13/48 track better on tight tracks. Seems like I have less issues pulling the corner and getting up to speed for the doubles.

We GPS our bikes at 99 with 14/48. Have hit 101 with wind but I think we are revved out or not enough tq to pull higher speeds. I think a 15 would pull higher speeds to get back into the TQ range.

The 15 will fit but some grinding is involved and it is REALLY close to the swingarm.

No problem with pulling the wheel off the ground up to 5th but we are not running stock engines.

Great link and advice, forgot about starting in second. That website is nice, But I dont think the bike does 86mph stock, it seems more like 70 or less.

again, top speeds are theoretical.. as R.S. stated above about bikes and hp, the chart is asuming the bike can pull to the rev limiter in top gear.

Edited by MELK-MAN

I rode/ride nothing but mx, 14-49 is great with my motor, Stage1 HC, high comp piston. Depends on how you ride you ride I guess, I dont rev it and its a thing of beauty.

Great starts too, still in second for a little bit longer while everyone else has already shifted. Cheap to try different setups, see what works for you and how your ride.

I took the new 14/48 bike out to Mojave. Man it flys now. I wish I had a wider gearbox in the lower gears. All in all, I wouldnt mind going 14/49 but to spend another $20 or $30 on a rear sproket isnt in my budget. I got a cheap chain and sprokets. Next time I upgrade, im going 14/49.

Also thinking I should have got a 450x instead of an R. I see the gearboxes are wider and it has an 18" rear tire.

Taking my suspention to Percision concepts to have it rebuilt. Going faster exposes a lot of braking problems, including suspention. Bouncing off everything in the desert with the R suspention gets exhausting after about 30 minutes.

Edited by Eric Schrader

• 2 weeks later...

With my CRF450R I hated not having a low enough first for tight stuff and still screaming the engine while cruising down the sandwash. Aafter finding out that Baja Designs discontinued their wide ratio kits, I was so frustrated with the gearing that I actually started making my own wide ratio gear sets for the 450R, . I didn't like the idea of buying a 450X and sacrificing the "moto" power and feel, plus the gearing is just too spread out for my type of riding (mostly desert). Basically the new ratios spread out 2nd thru 5th about 20% total, and put 4th about where fifth used to be. So imagine riding in fifth and having another gear to shift to : ). I was then able to lower the ratio of the sprockets and still have a better top end speed. It worked out great! So much so that everyone told me to start making them for a couple other bikes. Makes for a fun hobbie.