Sign in to follow this  

some HP please

I know that HP is not a perfect measure of performance, but I am still curious. Does anybody know the HP of the following bikes:

XCW 450

XCW 400

XC-F-W 250

BTW my models might not be correct, I am still a bit confused about all the KTM models especially because they don't all appear on the KTM website... I mean the enduro bikes (not street legal)

Thanks

Funny that the manufacturers don't give that info for offroad bikes while they make such a big deal about it for street bikes that are never driven full throttle.

I really hope that someone has the answer because I am debating weather to buy a XCW 400 or a XC-F-W 250. I don't know if the 16 pounds less of the XC-F-W 250 will compensate for it weaker engine. I need to know `cause I am big boy at 200 pounds.

Some info would really be appreciated. :thumbsup:

I've seen these number posted elsewhere. Maybe someone will chime in.

From memory.

250 XCF-W 37hp

200 XC-W 36hp

400 XC-W 37hp

450 EXC 42hp

525 EXC 45hp

Thanks for the info!

250 XCF-W 37hp = the 400 XC-W 37hp :lame:

If that is correct, you're making my choice between the two real easy! :thumbsup:

Be careful. HP and Torque are BOTH important if you are looking for stump pulling grunt. I have ridden all of the above bikes, and they are all very different in terms of power characteristics. A 400 and 250F will probably accelerate about the same, but the 400 has a lot more bottom end torque. Still, the 250 is very impressive for a 250 4 stroke, and is my favorite due to its low weight and more than adequate low end.

Kirk

Be careful. HP and Torque are BOTH important if you are looking for stump pulling grunt. Kirk

You are absolutely correct. I am sure that the 250 needs to be rev'd a bit more or ridden in lower gear. But if the HP is correct, it means, as you mention, that is more than adequate power to pull me around in difficult sections. Furthermore, in H/S' tight wood sections having a lighter bike is a big plus.

It is a tough trade off, the 37hp 250 is going to have much less crank weight, thus the bike will be much more agile, handle quicker = more phun.

At the same time the 37hp 400 is going to have twice the grunt which does not mean squat in your dreams of looking like the guy in the magazine but when your on the wrong side of the rock pile trying to crawl up the muddy bank the low speed grunt will get you thru the technical section without requiring the level of talent the small motor will. Answer is, if your a superstar go 250, begineer go 400

Go to KTM's site, then click on Racing on the menu, it will give you racing info , look for bike spec's and it will tell you what type of bike he uses and then it will have data including horsepower and some other data thas not available when your just browsing the product lineup.

Go to KTM's site, then click on Racing on the menu, it will give you racing info such as the rider, click on the rider and it will tell you what type of bike he uses and then it will have data including horsepower and some other data thas not available when your just browsing the product lineup.

Wonderful thanks Sickpuppy!!!!!! :thumbsup::lame: But don't you think that the specs are for the factory bikes?

Dave, you comparison is good begginer 400, superstar 250. How about intermediate??? :p

I made a small mistake on my last post, go into racing and look up bike spec's

These specs listed are out of the box.

I edited my last reply, deleting the (look at rider info)

I've seen these number posted elsewhere. Maybe someone will chime in.

From memory.

250 XCF-W 37hp

200 XC-W 36hp

400 XC-W 37hp

450 EXC 42hp

525 EXC 45hp

What everyone else is saying about the powerbands is correct. This post or one of the others also had dyno charts posted on the new 250 and 400. Again from memory, the 250 put out that 37hp at 13,000rpm, the 400 was about 8000rpm. The 400 made more power and torque everywhere over the 250. The 250 had to spin 5000rpm more to equal the 400. Even the 200 has more power throughout it's powerband, than the 250.

But the 250 four stroke is lighter and will feel lighter, due to the less mass of it's rotating crank. But you have to rev the snot out it, to get maximum thrust. But for tight woods racing, even the soft bottom end of a 250 four stroke will be enough and maybe even desirable, if it's really greasy. You just can't be lazy on the throttle, if you want maximum thrust. Less aggressive riders, will have more power available to them on the the 400 vs. the 250.

Plus, lets not forget about maintenance. The RFS engines are proven reliable, given frequent oil changes and an occasional valve check. The high strung 250's will certainly require more frequent valve adjustments, and will not have the service life, that the slower reving, larger 400 will have.

Yes, all HP numbers are open to question, but I think 2whlrcr covered it well in his post. Just because I've seen so many questions on this, I'll put down the numbers I've seen.

250SXF 36.8 hp

400EXC 37.5

450EXC 44

450XC 45.5

450SX 50-52(?)

525EXC 48

525XC 48

525SX 53

Reasonable? Depends on the dyno etc etc etc.

I'd never compare the SXF with the 400EXC (or XC-W) as I personally would never rev the little one enough to get its full hp. YMMV

This is what I got on KTM's site

250SXF 42HP

450SXF 59HP

540SX 65HP

250EXC 38HP

450EXC 52HP

525EXC 56HP

Those are huge and optomistic! On JD's dyno he got the same peak power from a 450EXC as a 525EXC, the 525 had more at lower RPM but peak was equal. I will start an argument everytime with this but; Horsepower & torque are two measurments (calibrations of measurments?) of the same work force.

HP is a straight comparision of work force, example double the RPM and you approxiamble double the work force (a little less the double do to frictional losses). That has always made sence to me, however,

Torque is the same force mathamaticlly manipulated! Take the HP and divide it by the RPM that it was rated at then multiply times 5252 and you have torque.

Thus if you had RPM graphed, it will always start in the lower left coner of the chart, as RPM goes up on the left side of the graph the line goes up to the right at a 45 degree angle, less frictional losses and will run that angle until the engines ability to flow air is exceeded.

The torque is mathamaticlly manipulated and its line is added to the graph showing bigger numbers left of 5252 where the lines cross, then lower numbers above 5252.

Long stroke engines such as a Harley will not rev very high so they like to gloat about torque but it is work force.

Talking about Torque AND horsepower is like saying it 80 degrees F AND 86 degrees C! Why do we say AND???? It is OR but the temprature guys did not manipulate the number by dividing by one number and multipling by the other.

PRetty perceptive! The 3 stroke part will not work but the size is near optimum for a woods bike! Wish KTM, Husky & such would build some, an SXF with a big bore kit on it is about as good of bike as can be had as those short stroke motors allow the bike to be much more agile then say a 400-450. Crank weight is what kills the phun of a woods bike!

For some reason it wouldn't copy and paste a direct link correctly. Matter of fact, I can't even type the www part of the address or add the .com at the end of americanbeta in here with out it coming out deleted. Very strange.

Anyhow just add www. and .com to americanbeta,

Click on "Models", then the 3rd bike down is a 2007 Beta 350RR.

Pretty sharp looking dirt bike if you ask me. KTM motor I believe, just wondering why KTM isn't using the 350 motor if they have one for other companies to use????

After owning a 250f and a 450, I have always thought a 350 would be the perfect size for the woods.