XR200R Modification Guide

Quick Draw

hi guys. im new here..

i got a 2007 honda xr200 here in the philippines. nice bike...but i got a problem.

under load...medium to high rpm...i get pinging and possibly detonation....so i want to check timing.

i am looking for some pointers. im new to motorcyles--im a drag racer(cars)..so how is it done. im kinda screwed here in the phils,without access to alot of manuals and all my tools.

thanks

harry

• 1 month later...
In a previous post I said the 81-83 XR200R had a 6volt AC lighting system with a 25wat headlight and a tail light. I modded mine by replacing the tail light with a Baja Design LED tail/brake light, a 12volt 25 watt Hi/Lo headlight and a MSR 12volt regulator (from TT). I switched to 12 volts because 6 volt bulbs are very difficult to find, the LED tail light draw much less power than the standard taillight leaving more power for the headlight. I needed the AC regulator to ccontrol the voltage because without the tail light the voltage would go above 16 volts and burn out the bulbs.

So my 6volt system runs 12 volt bulbs.

The 81-83 XR200R alternator is internally grounded and has only two output leads; one for the CDI unit and one for the lights. 86 and on have three wires out; one for the CDI and two for the lights because the lighting coils are floating ground.

86 XR200Rs and on all used the same flywheels.

86-93 used the same stator

94-02 used a different stator.

86-93 also used an AC regulator.

89-02 had no headlight or tail light, but they had lighting coils in the alternator.

Hope this helps.

I'm Having the same problem , finding 6 volt bulbs, Could you please post the part numbers ?? Thanks , MAC:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
"I put an FMF Powere Core 4 on my wifes 99xr200 and it is way too loud. I have come up empty looking for a quiet insert for this particular pipe."

when i had my 1996 xr200, i had a 125 main jet and a 40 pilot jet in it with stock exhaust and a k&n air filter. and it ran great. almost no hesitation and i pulled hard for a simple mod. i rode in similar elevation and above with no problems. and it started on the first kick every time even in hot summer heat or in the the dead of winter

has anyone tried the procircuit pipe?

In a previous post I said the 81-83 XR200R had a 6volt AC lighting system with a 25wat headlight and a tail light. I modded mine by replacing the tail light with a Baja Design LED tail/brake light, a 12volt 25 watt Hi/Lo headlight and a MSR 12volt regulator (from TT). I switched to 12 volts because 6 volt bulbs are very difficult to find, the LED tail light draw much less power than the standard taillight leaving more power for the headlight. I needed the AC regulator to ccontrol the voltage because without the tail light the voltage would go above 16 volts and burn out the bulbs.

So my 6volt system runs 12 volt bulbs.

The 81-83 XR200R alternator is internally grounded and has only two output leads; one for the CDI unit and one for the lights. 86 and on have three wires out; one for the CDI and two for the lights because the lighting coils are floating ground.

86 XR200Rs and on all used the same flywheels.

86-93 used the same stator

94-02 used a different stator.

86-93 also used an AC regulator.

89-02 had no headlight or tail light, but they had lighting coils in the alternator.

Hope this helps.

So your still running the 6volt system but using 12 volts bulbs? I am wanting to do the same, can you get more detailed about what all you had to do and where you put the additional parts, or maybe point me to the previous post if it has the information.

I've read thru these posts trying to find an answer for my little project, an 83 xr200r. I got front and rear ends from an 86 xr250r, the front end bolted right on, but the spacing on the rear wheel is way off. It looks like a spacer is needed between the backing plate and the swingarm, and the sprocket side is off. I tried using the 200 backing plate, and that seems to shove the whole wheel over and out of chain alignment. What am I doing wrong?

• 4 weeks later...

My mechanic wants to put a different cam in my 01 xr200r. Everyone wants a little more power, but I am satisfied with the bike the way it is. It slows a bit on long hill climbs. I'd open up the air box but I don't really care to change the jets. I don't want to mess with the exhaust because I like a quiet bike. The bike runs fine at 2000' and is also fine at 8000'. Do I have enough to gain by doing any mods?

• Experts
My mechanic wants to put a different cam in my 01 xr200r. Everyone wants a little more power, but I am satisfied with the bike the way it is. It slows a bit on long hill climbs. I'd open up the air box but I don't really care to change the jets. I don't want to mess with the exhaust because I like a quiet bike. The bike runs fine at 2000' and is also fine at 8000'. Do I have enough to gain by doing any mods?

You are kidding aren't you ????????????

You don't have to change the cam but uncorking the airbox and pipe with proper rejetting makes a significant difference in power. If you are happy, why are you asking ??????????????????

DR

I've read thru these posts trying to find an answer for my little project, an 83 xr200r. I got front and rear ends from an 86 xr250r, the front end bolted right on, but the spacing on the rear wheel is way off. It looks like a spacer is needed between the backing plate and the swingarm, and the sprocket side is off. I tried using the 200 backing plate, and that seems to shove the whole wheel over and out of chain alignment. What am I doing wrong?

You need to make your own spacers. I think quickdraw either detailed that earlier in this post or in another post if you do a search on his user name.

talking about porting and polishing, if done right will increase reliability by making the heat go out the pipe instead of staying in the head, to improve more performance and reliability is to have the head and top of the piston ceramic coated so not to soak up heat, more heat out the pipe means cooler engine, improves power also. I choosed the 81 - 83 XR200 2V cylinder and head for my CB125S project cafe road racer, as it was the best setup that will fit the 1974 cases with minor mods and for the much larger cooling fins over the older early to mid 70's cylinders and heads.

i see most of you guys say 81-up on stuff but you guys are forgetting 80 was the same as 81-up as well

not talking about 200R though

just the regular 200 etc with dual rear shock and steel rear arms like i have.. and fordfreak has as well.

6 volt bulbs that difficult to locate ?

hmm

thats not good to know for when i put a taillight assembly on my 1980

hmm....

how do you convert these jet sizes to american measurements ?

decimal or fractions ?

Stock jetting

XR200 (not XR200R)

main 102

pilot 35

i need to find out what they are and also the next size up too.

because i have removed my air box and it will surely need to be a little richer jetted

thanks

I have an XR200R with the rear mono shock.

On your 80 I am not sure if you have the lighting coil or not. If you do then you can buy a 12v ac regulator and wire it in and run 12v bulbs. I did this so I can have a 12v dual filament bulb that runs through a switch so I can turn my lights off/low or high. I bought the MSR 12v ac regulator from the Thumpertalk.com store right here for $13.

Awsome thread guys...

My '83 XL200R feels really.... limp.

Cobra exhaust (loud, but not crazy )

no snorkel

re-jetted ( I forget the sizes )

Valves at .002 in, .003 ex.

shim under the carb needle. (xl has only one groove)

bigger front sprocket. ( up one tooth- again, I forget the size)

2800 miles. (really) ( she rotted in a neighbor's driveway for years before he finaly caved and gave it to me)

stock air filter.

She starts and idles perfect... 65 miles/gallon when gas was $4 a gallon.

but 65 mph was pinned full throttle. downhill.

I know I should loose the stock filter, but was wondering how much differance would a Uni make?

is there anything else that can make the bike really weak on the top end?

the low grunt still feels OK... and I'm 210 lbs.

does the ignition timing ever go out on these?

And yes,after reading all of this, I'm now looking for a CR front end... is the rear of my XL the same as the XR200r from 81-83?

Thanks !

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My Idea for a mod would be to remove the exaust insert by taking the bottom plate off the rear of the exaust canister by taking out the 2 screws.then drill a hole in the bottom of the insert to break it loose.next, remove the 2 screws on the outport and pull off the plate thing, pull on the insert(it would help to get a flat screw driver and hammer to pry the insert off the edge) and with some elbow grease it should come out. This mod makes the bike somewhat louder, but can be easily sound proofed with a screen- like piece of metal. This will add 5+ hp, better throttle response, more bottom end torque, and it can easily be put back on.