Quick Draw

XR200R Modification Guide

My Idea for a mod would be to remove the exaust insert by taking the bottom plate off the rear of the exaust canister by taking out the 2 screws.then drill a hole in the bottom of the insert to break it loose.next, remove the 2 screws on the outport and pull off the plate thing, pull on the insert(it would help to get a flat screw driver and hammer to pry the insert off the edge) and with some elbow grease it should come out. This mod makes the bike somewhat louder, but can be easily sound proofed with a screen- like piece of metal. This will add 5+ hp, better throttle response, more bottom end torque, and it can easily be put back on.

Sorry no. I'm back from the dead (figuratively speaking), to shut this idea down. By removing the spark arrestor you are:

A. Making your bike illegal to ride pretty much anywhere

B. Shutting down our trails with your noise

C. Not allowing enough back pressure...something that 200s love...

D. Actually killing your low end torque.

You may end up with better throttle response. Maybe a little blip of extra power on WOT. But these other "gains" are merely the "it sounds faster" mentality as Old School Al would say. It's not going to be even close to 5 hp (why do people make stuff up?), because that's about a 35-40% increase in your overall power....not going to happen with an opened up pipe.

BTW...hi everybody... long time no see.

To the smart butt who thinks I'm ruining our trails, I think not. I PUT the spark arrestor back in before I hit the trails, and I live in Alabama. I put it all back together actually. And my bike is a 2000 xr200r that hates the back pressure the spark arrestor puts on it. It's really not that loud. My neighbors can stand it( they're in their 60's), My mother can stand it, and once you get enough mud on the pipe it doesn't sound any different from stock, that is to say you ride long enough to get mud on it ofcourse. And right now I'm in the process of replacing the seal on the left fork( I'm 14 and got it 1/2 way done

in 1 night), I ride on a hunting club that is threatened by loggers, not by people who ride. The bike has more bottom end without the arrestor in than it would stock( I weigh 250 lbs. and play football,basketball) and still able to ride wheelies through the pasture I ride in, yes a pasture, with three doubles, 4 table tops, and 2 whoops sections. I have already asked the local park rangers if my bike is illegal, they tested it and said NO it was not, I liked 5 whole, whopping decibels to being illegal. And for your learnings a STOCK supercross bike has a sound level of 98 decibels. And I can put it back in in less than under 2 minutes, very rare your neck ogf the trails ain't it. Oh yeah I forgo that is the baffle you take out that adds the 5 hp, is that better? Yeah I'm from the part of the world where kinfolk put coffee cans on a truck's pipes, or put water on hot glasspacks. But hey if quickdraw's fave thing is not speed, torque, or being SOUTHERN he/she can kiss my kountry aspirin. And if anyone has advice on how to get the darn seal out reply.

:busted:

Oh man, I'm going to have to save this..

smart butt

Okay... 14 right? Hmm...

and I live in Alabama.

That explains a lot.

And my bike is a 2000 xr200r that hates the back pressure the spark arrestor puts on it.

Oh well in that case, your right. The 2000s hate back pressure, but only 2000. :banghead:

And right now I'm in the process of replacing the seal on the left fork( I'm 14 and got it 1/2 way done in 1 night), I weigh 250 lbs. and play football,basketball) ... three doubles, 4 table tops, and 2 whoops sections.

I think I'm starting to see a connection here. Maybe you should read up on the first post here on the suspension tips. :lol:

I liked 5 whole, whopping decibels to being illegal. And for your learnings...

What?

a STOCK supercross bike

I can't say that I've ever seen a STOCK one.

very rare your neck ogf the trails ain't it.

A 250lb 14 y/o that talks like you is.

But hey if quickdraw's fave thing is not speed, torque, or being SOUTHERN he/she can kiss my kountry aspirin.

:lol: OMG. New signature quote.

And if anyone has advice on how to get the darn seal out reply.

They make a special seal pulling tool. I recommend it. :worthy:

People from Alabama are not dumb, though we may be a little stubborn. And yeah I am 250 LB. and outride everybody in my town. And where is the can thing from a xr250r shock gonna go? I have looked on E-BAy and found a 1989 cr250r forks for $3.oo + 22.00 for ship., 1985 shock for 100.00+ 17.95 for the ship. fee, and a whole brake assembly( lever, hose, caliper) for $3.00+ 12.99 ship. And how am I suppose to put a disc on my front hub? and are we allowed to cuss or not on here?

G'day,

Just wondering, how many of the mods that youve listed for the 83' xr200 would work on a xl200r of the same year? Getting a bit bored with mine and dont have the cash for a new bike,

Cheers Matt

I put an 85 XR250R rear shock on my 83XL200R: it bolted right on...My bike is bone stock except for the fork (CR125) and shock, and although it doesn't have much power, it's a great bike for the tight woods trails we have here in Washington...

Has anyone tried to put a rear disc brake on the xr200rs? Will any two-stroke headerpipe fit? How will it sound/ for the better/ for the worse? will i need a spacer for the cr250r forks with me at 6'0? just give me an answer.

Has anyone tried to put a rear disc brake on the xr200rs? Will any two-stroke headerpipe fit? How will it sound/ for the better/ for the worse? will i need a spacer for the cr250r forks with me at 6'0? just give me an answer.

"...just give me an answer, PLEASE."

1) yes.

2) no.

3) louder than stock.

4a) yes, 1 1/4"dia x 3/4" black pipe under the top triple clamp.

or

4b) yes (of course with the correct spring rate for your weight/riding style), a 1"dia x 3" pvc spacer inside each fork tube on top of the spring...called a preload spacer.

Kirk

ps. your welcome.

:banana: :banana: Ummm...??? do you have a picture of both of the spacers or just of one? And I've gotten different answers, but what is the TOP triple clamp? How does the pvc work on the inside, does push the spring down to lower the heigth? And thanks for the reply, and the next one if you post another one for me.

:worthy:

hey 'master the Pvc goes just under the caps on the forks on the top. the other option for this whole thread is to use a CRF 250/450 R chassis with the XR200R motor, look up charlieT for the conversion called the CRF200R, great bike. In my this is opinion easier to fab and i found a CRF with a blown motor and 1 hour on it for $500 :thumbsup: . when you add up the cost or all the mods this may even be cheeper in some cases. of coarse i got a killer deal on the CRF.:worthy:

thanxs, I think I might have already seen his bike. I'll take a look to confirm. And now I'm clear on the triple clamp crap.

Just completed the front fork mod on my 2001 XR-200R w/ the RaceTech emulators and the Progressive Springs. WOW - what a difference!! Rode the trails for over 50 miles and the front tire NEVER came close to rubbing the fender like it used to when flying through the whoops. If I didn't know better I would've thought I was on a modern CRF-250R. Also went 1 up on the Main & Pilot and the bike ran smooter than it ever has before. Thanks for the gouge!!

all i got to do now is put fork oil in the forks. then im thinking bout selling it and getting a car to rebuild with my dad, then drive it to school.

Just completed the front fork mod on my 2001 XR-200R w/ the RaceTech emulators and the Progressive Springs. WOW - what a difference!! Rode the trails for over 50 miles and the front tire NEVER came close to rubbing the fender like it used to when flying through the whoops. If I didn't know better I would've thought I was on a modern CRF-250R. Also went 1 up on the Main & Pilot and the bike ran smooter than it ever has before. Thanks for the gouge!!

Hi. Did you put a progressive spring on the shock as well? I'm thinkng about putting them on my '87's forks and shock but not sure if I will or not. Do you think the prgressive springs on the front without the emulator kit would be a mod worthy of $80? Thanks for your input.

At a Mid-South , SERA Hare Scramble this weekend. Got 4th SrA, (2nd SERA), and 22nd Overall . Not bad for a 53 year old on a 20 year old 15hp bike.

Dwight

Dwight,

Did you put the Poweroll strker/big bore kit in yours? I've read where you did the Works Shock mod (transplant right?) and the fork emulators. Did you do progressive springs as well? Nice pic of you roosting that corner!:bonk:

Aaron C.

Hi. Did you put a progressive spring on the shock as well? I'm thinkng about putting them on my '87's forks and shock but not sure if I will or not. Do you think the prgressive springs on the front without the emulator kit would be a mod worthy of $80? Thanks for your input.

I think it would be. I actually puts the springs in before I got the emulators and it definately stiffened them up. I went ahead with the emulators becuase I knew I needed them based on where I ride. Good luck.

im thinking bout selling it and getting a car to rebuild with my dad, then drive it to school.

please do:thumbsup:

wat does that mean? do u think i am a bad dirtbike rider? Im not, and IM not a bad car driver either. the fastest ive been is 65, and that was in a truck. the fastest i have been on a dirtbike is 55mph. and i dont drive my bike to school, i ride the bus. its cheaper, warmer, and i get to sleep.