Quick Draw

XR200R Modification Guide

You mentioned "'84-'89 CR125/250 front ends will bolt up to any XR200R with the addition of a spacer." Are you sure you didn't mean 84-89 XR front ends?

The CR has 12 inches of travel. The XR has 10". I measure 37" from the top of the fork tube to the center of the front axle on the 86 CR and 32.5 on my '02 XR. (with '85 XR forks). It looks to me like the CR fork would raise the front of the bike at least four inches. Unacceptable.

A recent article in Dirt Rider said " for a disc brake conversion "use an XR front end." Am I missing something here?

You mentioned "'84-'89 CR125/250 front ends will bolt up to any XR200R with the addition of a spacer." Are you sure you didn't mean 84-89 XR front ends?

The CR has 12 inches of travel. The XR has 10". I measure 37" from the top of the fork tube to the center of the front axle on the 86 CR and 32.5 on my '02 XR. (with '85 XR forks). It looks to me like the CR fork would raise the front of the bike at least four inches. Unacceptable.

A recent article in Dirt Rider said " for a disc brake conversion "use an XR front end." Am I missing something here?

It's technically correct. The XR and CR forks could both be used but a rear suspension change would have to go with it. I've done a bunch of fork swaps and woulgn't recommend the spacer approach. The 200s will get way higher with either fork change. Another option would be 86-90 XR250 triples and legs. These don't need the spacer on the stem.

Edited by valvesrule

Hey all. I happened to log in for the first time in several months. I noticed that my PM inbox is full of questions, mostly regarding wiring for lights. Honestly, I haven't turned a bolt on a bike for close to two years now. I don't remember any of this information. I know that some of it is incorrect, outdated, incomplete, etc. Unfortunately I just don't have the time (or the motivation) to relearn everything and sort it out. So don't PM me if you expect a response. I wish I could tell you who to PM, but I really don't have any idea who would be the best to seek out at this point.

For the sake of continuing what could be a good resource someday, could the moderators take this thread over? How about those of you who are more informed (and like to post up that I'm wrong years after I wrote this) suggest ways to edit it to make it better. Then the moderator could edit my original post based on input from all of you. I think that would be a decent idea, as I am never going to get around to revising it.

A word of warning: There are 1000 ways to build a bike, and everybody wants to see their option listed too. And soon it becomes a mess. So if I were to do it again, I would keep it very broad, and teach the reader to do their own research based on what they want for their own bike. For example, on the fork swap subject: First provide some common fork swaps. But then, instead of providing the model of every single bike whose parts can be robbed, provide a resource that explains fork swaps and what to look for to find the fork setup that is right for you. Then maybe add a resource that lists the specifications of many forks from many different bikes.

This would take a lot of work, but I'm definitely not the guy to do it. Between all of you, I think you could make a great compilation of info here.

Quick Draw, that is a great lump of information. I must ask, however, which jet sizes apply to the contemporary Philippines Honda XR200? I bought mine last year, a 2009 model and understand that the engines are shipped in from Japan (along with wheel rims and tank).

Mine is bog-standard and running good, but i want more. I hope someone here in the phils is around to assist? I am beleaguered in Cavite province. Thanks

What happened to years '84 and '85?

New chassis in 84 and the XR200 engine was based on the RFVC 250 engine, same crankcases so the motor mounts are for the larger 250 cases. The frame part numbers are the same for the 84-85 XR200 and XR250. The 250 got a new chassis in 86 but the 86+ XR200 chassis is based on the 84-85 XR200/250chassis.

I am sure this has been answered in some thread but i can't find it. I have a 1982 xr200. When we split the case open there was metal pieces all over. I found a 1984 xr200 engine online. Will this one work?

I am sure this has been answered in some thread but i can't find it. I have a 1982 xr200. When we split the case open there was metal pieces all over. I found a 1984 xr200 engine online. Will this one work?

No. 84/85 engines are completely different from the rest of the XR200s.

I just put a set of forks (along with front disc:)) on my '94 xr200 that were cannibalized from an '84 xr250, everything bolted together just fine and I've got a better front stopper!

Nice timing on that post Squamch and started reading through all the posts on this old thread until I ran into yours at the end. Yesterday I picked up a 1984 XR250 front end I intend on putting on one of my XR200's. I have a 1990 and a 1993. Did you replace the triples or just swap forks etc?

Paul

I ended up using the xr250 triples too, which kinda sucked since I've got no number plate now, but I'm pretty sure you could use the xr200 ones if you wanted, everything appeared to be identical except the axles, the xr200/drum brake one was about 1" wider.

We just went with the 250 clamps cause it was easier than removing another set of clamps and replacing them.

Good to know. I was planning on using the entire front end. Did you have any issues putting the 250 triples on the 200 frame? If so, how did you resolve them? I think this will make a good upgrade as it adds a disc brake as well. I don't have the specs of the 250 forks, are they longer and/or have more travel?

Paul

Good to know. I was planning on using the entire front end. Did you have any issues putting the 250 triples on the 200 frame? If so, how did you resolve them? I think this will make a good upgrade as it adds a disc brake as well. I don't have the specs of the 250 forks, are they longer and/or have more travel?

Paul

Use the whole front end, It will go on perfectly triples and all. Only problem is you might need a 250 shock to raise the rear a matching distance. 84-85 forks are barely better than 200 legs. The 86-90 XR250 forks are larger diameter and have more travel with adjustable damping. 91 up 250 forks MAY have a longer stem.

I'll do that, thanks for the info. I'll see how the shock works out with the new forks after I put them on. So far, the only matching shock I can find is an '85 with the reservoir cut off. I thought I'd read somewhere on TT that the 84-85 XR200 and 250 had the same shock length. If so, there shouldn't be a problem with switching out the forks. I should be able to move them up in the triples if nothing else. The 86-90 XR250 forks sound like the thing to have. If nothing else, these will provide a disc brake for the front which should help keep things under control in the wet. My plan is to use the upgraded parts to improve my 1990 XR200 and shift the parts replaced onto the 1993 XR200. Kind of a two for one deal.

The 1990 is the better running and better condition bike. The '93 I just picked up for $400. It's running pretty strong but smokes pretty heavy. I need to open it up and see what's going on in there. It's been quite a while since I've done my own M-Cycle wrenching. My first 4-stroke (and second bike) was a 1982 XR250 I bought new in '82. I rode the heck out of that machine and sold it off in 1999 thinking I was going to be able to afford a new machine...which never happened. I've regretted selling that bike ever since. It was a bit of a heavy pig but it never failed to get me where I was going.

Paul

Greetings-

I own an 83' XL 200. I paid $400.00 for 2 years ago & have been slowly working through the modifications listed at the beginning of this thread. I just finished some minor modifications and got a XR 250 shock installed. That made a lot of difference. New carb & aftermarket air-filter is done and the baffle removed from the stock exhaust. I pulled the light buck off to repair it with some epoxy resin and glass cloth. Usually don't need it around here in Washington State, but sometimes in the hills we get fog so it does come in handy. Anyway I know this is off topic, but I need some help. The one piece my bike is missing is the stock sprocket cover. I have been watching e-bay and all I see are xr & XL 250 covers. Mine is pretty specific. It has an unusual hump on the leading edge to match the engine. Only a cover from 83' & 84' will work. Anybody got one they want to sell? Drop me a PM and thanks for this thread- its been a BIG HELP!

Edited by area51bikeworks

well its been a long time since ive posted on here, but my 2000 xr 200r' s carb leaks out the leak hose when i turn the fuel on. ive tightened the leak screw all the way. the only thing i can figure is that when i took it apart to clean it, i turned a brass screw that turns a needle into the body of the air intake. any decents posts are welcome.