Quick Draw

XR200R Modification Guide

Hey cohl what mods did you have to do to make the 94 shock work w/ the 200, and quickdraw just to clarify and this has probably been beat to death did you have to mod anything on the rear shock for proper ride height etc... on the 86-89

kanyon,

I used a 2001 XR250 shock. It fit at it's original length without any mods, but made the seat too tall for my son. To install, the only thing I had to do was remove the linkage, install the shock, and then reinstall the linkage.

This shock was 14 3/4" long eye to eye. The OEM XR200 shock (2001) was 13 1/8" long eye to eye. With the XR250 shock at it's original length, the seat was raised about 5".

This particular XR250 shock had a very long lower clevis. I drilled another hole in the lower clevis 3/4" up from the original hole and cut off the excess clevis material, making the shock about 14" long. The seat was not quite 4" higher now. If I had stopped here, it would have been a great balance for the 87 CR front forks I installed. The CR forks were 4" longer than the XR200 forks, but it was still a little tall for my son. When sitting on the bike, he could touck tippy toe ( he's about 5' 7").

I then had a local suspension guy install a 8mm spacer internally on the shock shaft. This shortened the shock to about 13 3/4" and the seat height is now about 2 1/2" taller than stock. I had the fork shortened 2" also with interanl spacers.

The suspension travel is about 10" front and rear, it would have been 12" if I didn't have to shorten the forks or shock.

I didn't intend to buy a 2001 XR250 shock, but I didn't completely read the description on ebay before I placed a bid. The total cost to my door was less than $50. After I recieved the shock, I thought I would try to see if it would fit, otherwise I would have resold it on ebay.

• Like 2

Thanx cohl that gives me some idea's for when i change my front end over. Now I knwo I can use the longer shock and how to do it and what to expect.

I don't know about the bike shops in your area, but several in my area have guys trained to install Race Tech stuff, equipment to recharge a shock, and race themselves so they do their own valving and suspension work.

Showa and KYB components are very common, so the equipment to work on them is easy to find. WP stuff on KTM's is harder to find.

The guy who did my stuff used to work for a dealer, but got a "real" job after his racing days were over. He has the equipment for any type of suspension service. He charged me (I forget the exact price) less than $100 for both the shock and fork work. This included fresh fluid, a new seal on the shock, and machining of the spacers to shorten things up. The spacers are removable if I want to lengthen things back to original.

I sure if you look around, you could find somebody local to do the work for a reasonable price.

Last spring I put a Supertrapp on my 200R, (from stock to Supertrapp), it is quiet a bit louder, but sounds good. And I was pretty impressed with the difference in power. Much snappier! I was pleased all the way around.

I also put a Supertapp on my XR200R, they didnt make the IDS2 to fit the 200's, but I bought a universal, welded the mounting tabs on the pipe, but I had to make a 1/2" OD to a 1/8" ID pipe so that the supertrapp would work, I did have to re-jet the carb, but it was well worth it. It has a much deeper growl, a little more power, it was just all around really good. I also have pics of it to show that.

* Also, I got that 99' XR250 shock off of ebay last week, and after making a spacer for the top mount, and droppin the spring a little, it fit right in, I don't have any pics of it right now, but in a few weeks I should, I took it apart this winter to paint the frame and do a little engine work, and it's not done yet, but soon hopefully.

i'm going, i have a few more things to do, i have to get the frame blasted so i can paint, then i have to get a couple bolts that were stuck in the motor case and snaped as i tried to take them out, and a little touching up to do, but i can't guarantee when i'll be done, soon very soon.

could ya get us some pics of the spacer you made and show us how it looks and fits on the bike. We promise to understand the bike is still being worked on. Heck maybe start up a whole progress thread like a few of us have done and post pics along the way so we can watch. It might help someone else whom is doing the same thing.

well, what im going to do, i know how im going to do it, but what im going to do is turn a piece of shaft down on the lathe, and then drill a hole in it, then cut it down to fit the shock in center, once im done i will take pics of it.

what fun what fun:banghead: i'm sure theres a easier way to do it, but i'm all about what's going to work the best for me and look better too.

well, what im going to do, i know how im going to do it, but what im going to do is turn a piece of shaft down on the lathe, and then drill a hole in it, then cut it down to fit the shock in center, once im done i will take pics of it.

Must be nice having access to that kind of machinery....:applause: All I have is a hacksaw, grinder, and a dremel...:applause:

Yea I dont know what i'd do without all my tools.:applause: I don't have a lathe out in the garage, but my dad has one at work, so some day i'm just going to head out that way and work on it, other than that i have everything else, grinder, air compressor, torch, etc. all the necessites to do your own work. I was shooting to get it all done this weekend, becuase up in north Idaho the temp got up in the 40's, but last night it got back down to the low 30's and it snowed, so I cant paint, but if I get the heater going i could do other stuff, i need warmer weather. I guess this is what i get for living in North Idaho. :applause:

Don;t feel bad, I was gonna pull my motor today to resolve an oil issue and it is so windy and cold here in southern California I didn't feel like doing it. Maybe tomorrow the weather will cooperate

Ok..so, after bidding on two items with the need for only one, of course, i end up winning both....

I wanted to put a better front suspension system on the 2002 XR200R for mainly the purpose of obtaining a front disc brake and losing the drum. I now have two options....which is more preferable (suspension travel, ease of installation, etc.)?

1983 XR200R Front Forks/Triple Tree

or

1985 CR125 Front Forks/Brakes

Thanks.

Ok..so, after bidding on two items with the need for only one, of course, i end up winning both....

I wanted to put a better front suspension system on the 2002 XR200R for mainly the purpose of obtaining a front disc brake and losing the drum. I now have two options....which is more preferable (suspension travel, ease of installation, etc.)?

1983 XR200R Front Forks/Triple Tree

or

1985 CR125 Front Forks/Brakes

Thanks.

The 1983 forks are longer but skinnier than your 2002 forks. They will bolt on.

The 1985 CR125 forks are longer travel, thicker, but still not cartridge forks (I think 86 or 87 was the first year).

The stem is a little too long. Some shims fix that easily.

The CR125 forks are worlds better than the 1983 XR200 forks.

"O"