Quick Draw

XR200R Modification Guide

hey guys, what diameter is the stem on the cr forks, the 84-89 model, and roughly how long are the spacers you guys have made? i have a '86 xr200 and would putting on cr forks make it much better? i would then have the added bonus of a disk brake. Having read this thread i think my rear shock doesnt need changing as it is '84-'91. heres a pic of the bike:

pbpic2040621.jpg

Yes, the CR forks are tremendously better. The diameter depends on the year of the forks. You just need to get the triple clamps along with the forks, and put them in your steering stem. Go ahead and recharge your rear shock. It's probably pretty worn out, and would benefit from that.

quick draw, i dont have the equipment to remove the stems from the yolks, unless a hammer would but i seriously doubt it, so i need cr forks with the same stem diameter and bearings. this thread states that the 84-89 cr forks will fit with the addition of a spcer under the top crown. however someone, cant remember who, said that half way through 1989 inverted forks were intorduced to the cr and that these were also the same stem diameter, they changed the forks in 1990. is this infomation correct? if so i will keep an eye out for 89' cr inverted forks and clamps.

Honda used the same stem bearings on the CRs from '84-'89 as the XR200 pretty much all the way through. It was just a longer stem, so you need the spacer, which is really no problem at all. It's about 3/4" long.

If you find a set of donor forks, get the clamps, witht the original stem still installed. You don't have to do anything with the stem, if its the right forks.

If you really wanted, you could install any fork on your bike, if you just swaped in your original steering stem in place of the one on the donor triple clamps. But as you said, you don't have the equipment for that. Although, a machine shop can press it out, for pretty cheap. Also, some people just chop it at the base and weld it on.

Hey Quickdraw..I plan on running a uni-filter and with the baffle taken out on my 93' XR200R. What main jet would you recommend for Florida elevation?(sea level)

Cool..thanks. I also plan on adjusting the valves since the previous owner never touched them. Where can I purchase the shims needed to do this? I've been on Ronayers and can't figure out which part it is on the fiche. P.S. I already got a manual.

There are no shims on these valves. They're thread adjusted. You just need a set of feeler gauges. You may need to bend them to fit....

on my 1982 XR200R, it has no lights. The head and tailights are there, but the headlight is only getting 0.5 volts AC to it. What should I replace to get it to work right?

If I buy a 84-91 rear shock would I need the accompanying reservoir for it to work?

Of course !

Dwight :thumbsup:

Cool..thanks. I also plan on adjusting the valves since the previous owner never touched them. Where can I purchase the shims needed to do this? I've been on Ronayers and can't figure out which part it is on the fiche. P.S. I already got a manual.

SHIMS ????????????????????

That's funny !

SHIMS ????????????????????

That's funny !

:thumbsup: I remember reading about shims on other model bikes. I was not aware Honda's were thread adjusted. If I get the rear shock/front forks then would it be wise to get the matching swingarm for it as well? I'm not sure if it's longer on the 84's. Edit: nevermind..I guess I'll just leave it as a trail bike and save up for a better bike once my skills are more developed.

:thumbsup: I remember reading about shims on other model bikes. I was not aware Honda's were thread adjusted. If I get the rear shock/front forks then would it be wise to get the matching swingarm for it as well? I'm not sure if it's longer on the 84's. Edit: nevermind..I guess I'll just leave it as a trail bike and save up for a better bike once my skills are more developed.

No swingarm mods needed. Get the 86-91 forks and shock. OR better yet get a Works Performance shock for the 86-91 model XR200R.

Dwight

SUSPENSION: This is a major weakness with '92-'02 XR200s. The first option for the forks is to give the springs more preload by adding a larger spacer on top of the springs. The second, most common option is to swap out the entire suspension. '84-'91 XR200 forks and rear shocks will bolt right up, and ‘81-’83 XR200R forks will with the corresponding triple clamps. '84-'89 CR125/250 front ends will bolt up to any XR200R with the addition of a spacer. This particular swap is more complicated, but also adds a disc brake and improves the bike tremendously when used in combination with an '84-'91 XR200 rear shock. See this thread for more info on CR front ends: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...1&parentpage=2

Any chance you have that thread link handy? The one you posted doesn't work. Just ordered some 88 cr250 front forks and wheel, and would like to check out the thread.

I don't unfortunately. Probably so old that it got deleted out of archives....it used to work. Sorry. I don't really remember what it contained but basically you need to make a spacer for the steering stem is the main thing. They use the same bearings, but the stems are different lengths.

For modding the exaust, I don't see which weld to grind off in the header, if someone could explain that would make me quite happy, thanks

For modding the exaust, I don't see which weld to grind off in the header, if someone could explain that would make me quite happy, thanks

The weld is not on the hedder. It is to remove the insert at the exit of the exhausts if you have a mid 90's or newer model 200r.

Is that still on there? Oops....

81-83 XR200Rs have a six volt system and a 25 watt headlight. 86 and on are 12 volt. The CDi units, coils, rotors and stators all have different part numbers between early and later XRs.

I have a 82 XR200R that the previous owner removed the muffler insert and gutted the end chamber making the bike very noisy. The end chamber just happens to be 3" in diameter which matches some spare SuperTrappp parts; so I added SuperTrapp parts and 8 discs to the end (no welding). First test indicates it is much quieter, I'll take it for a ride next week and compare the sound level to a stock XR200 and a XR200R with a Powroll pipe and Supertrapp. If it is not quiet enough I can add the SuperTrapp core to the Honda muffler.