Quick Draw

XR200R Modification Guide

Hi guys

I`ve got an 1982 XR200R & a XR200R 1984/5 minus a engine. Can somebody tell me if the rear shock of the 1984 will fit on the 1982 and if it will improve the handling. I noticed that the cannister connected to the shock is adjustable on the 1984. Do I need to transplant the swingarm with the shock? I`ve read that the xr250 shock is the way to go, but I`m not sure that the 250 was ever released in South Africa, and if it was it`s very very scares - same as the 1984 XR200R.

THANX

I do not know if the shock will interchange but I have seen engines like the one in your 1982 in the 84/85 frame. If your chasis for the 84 model is complete & in good condition this might be a good option for you.

I get to try my XR200R this next weekend. I have 1987 forks with Emulators and Progressive Suspension fork springs. 16/20lbs I believe.

I will also have a 1987 Shock with a Works Performance Cartridge kit and a 600lb shock spring on it. Bike is basically stock with a Uni Filter, Airbox cap off, 1983 ATC250R baffle in the stock pipe, 115 main jet. New IRC VE33 100/100X17 rear tire and VE35 300X21 front. I have Renthal YZ80 bars with Moose Mini barkbusters. I also added a odometer from a 1988 XR250R and Headlight with a XR200R type aftermarket tail light from Parts Unlimited. I have a Parts Unlimited (by EK)Xring chain. Basically I have turned it into a nice 1986-91 model. (it started a 2000 model).

Wish me luck as I plan on parking my KTM for a few races and try this against some of the fastest Sr.A riders around. The top 3 are always in the top 20 overall.

Dwight

• Like 2

OK , I got 5th. I had to stop 3 times to adjust the rear shock but by end of race I was turning some respectable times and people were taking notice of how fast I was going on the little bike . I race it again at another SERA H/S, last weekend of the month in N. Miss. I was racing in the highly competitive Sr.A class. Normally 40-49 age group. I turn 53 shortly.

Dwight

Nice job Dwight. I took 5th also. Super Senior class for the timekeeper enduro. This one is also super competitive as all the a,b,c classifications disappear and everyone is lumped together. Dang, last year I was battling for first and ended up taking 2nd for the series. This year I got a 4th and now a 5th. Well at least now I know where I stand. Time to lose some weight and get more in shape.

The bike on the other had did pretty good. I had changed out the rings and honed the engine bore and did not have a enough time to seat the rings as they should have been seated. Well they are seated now. Also rebuilt the front forks and put in 7 wt oil instead of the 5wt I had been running. That was a mistake and I think it cost me at least one place as the forks were just too harsh and ended up throwing me off twice. One time in a deep mud puddle. That little experience I recapped in the NW section under the Timekeeper 2008 thread.

Enjoy your experiment on the 200. Hope your wrist heals soon.

Hi, just wanted to report on the 18" rear wheel upgrade I completed on my '99 200R. IMO, it's totally worth it! It gave me better choice of tires, raised the seat about 2", and the feel of second gear is now like what 3rd used to be.

I got a cheap 2.15x18 rim off an '84 CR500 (I think) and put a Maxxis IT 100/100/18 on it; it was replacing the original stock '99 tire (very worn). The spokes came from Buchanan's, and they knew exactly what I was looking for and everything laced up perfectly. With the extra width, I had to trim the stupid black plastic chain guard a bit, but it was minor. The whole look of the bike is better now; if only I have disc brakes...

• Like 1

A new IRC VE33 110/100X17 would have done the same thing for you with a lot less effort and expense. Also it would have given you a bit more suspended cushion.

Dwight

• Like 1

Hi, just wanted to report on the 18" rear wheel upgrade I completed on my '99 200R. IMO, it's totally worth it! It gave me better choice of tires, raised the seat about 2", and the feel of second gear is now like what 3rd used to be.

I got a cheap 2.15x18 rim off an '84 CR500 (I think) and put a Maxxis IT 100/100/18 on it; it was replacing the original stock '99 tire (very worn). The spokes came from Buchanan's, and they knew exactly what I was looking for and everything laced up perfectly. With the extra width, I had to trim the stupid black plastic chain guard a bit, but it was minor. The whole look of the bike is better now; if only I have disc brakes...

Good deal. You're right, you now have a wide selection of tires for that little beast. If you ride the west side of the cascades you might even consider a trials tire as those buggers hook up real nicely in some of that slick clay and those soft sidewalls really soften the ride in the tough twisties. Enjoy

Hello to all out there in the Thumper Talk World.

I bought an 02 Xr200 for my 15 yr old / 150 lb son. And yes, we soon discovered the suspension was mush. We got an 85 rear shock from ebay and it helped immensely. Now, we're starting to address the front end. I've read that replacing the spacers with something longer is a quick fix. My question is: Can I do this without removing the forks from the bike by doing the forks one at a time, by just loosening the top triple clamp, and removing the fork cap? Or is this a more involved process? I'm also toying with the idea of just replacing the forks with some 85 forks I've seen on ebay; and, or just putting the 85 springs in the 02 forks (???). When it comes to motorcycle mechanics I'm pretty green: I don't want to get in over my head.

Any comments, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, zapdog

I used pvc pipe for my spacers and I just loosened the caps on the forks with the front end lifted. Be very careful as the springs are under pressure and that cap can go flying. I liek to make sure my tire is off the ground before opening the cap then I installed the pvc pipe and put the cap back on. It seemed to tighten up my front end a bit to more of where I would like it, but still a hair soft for any MXing but it seems great for the trail riding I do. I do have 82 front forks though. I have read they are a little stiffer springs. If my memory servers me correctly my spacers were 3/4" long I can;t remember the diameter though, maybe a 1/2" diameter. My stock rear shock seems a hair too soft for me now though.

Knowing how your son plans on riding the bike would help on sending you the right direction, but the spacers seem like a good move in the right direction to start with since you already think the front is too mushy.

At a Mid-South , SERA Hare Scramble this weekend. Got 4th SrA, (2nd SERA), and 22nd Overall . Not bad for a 53 year old on a 20 year old 15hp bike.

Dwight

IMG_7618.JPG

IMG_7616.JPG

2008 Burton Sugar Farm HS 080.jpg

2008 Burton Sugar Farm HS 281.jpg

IMG_7911.JPG

• Like 2

i have an xr200r 1982 with a ufo plast ki with just the tail light and head (head light has 2 bulbs) where can i find a voltage reglator and how do i wire it in to the lights

i have an xr200r 1982 with a ufo plast ki with just the tail light and head (head light has 2 bulbs) where can i find a voltage reglator and how do i wire it in to the lights

Moose Racing has a Volt Pack regulator . Cheap too. Get it from your favorite Parts Unlimited Dealer.

Dwight :ride:

At a Mid-South , SERA Hare Scramble this weekend. Got 4th SrA, (2nd SERA), and 22nd Overall . Not bad for a 53 year old on a 20 year old 15hp bike.

Dwight

Very cool!

hey quickdraw, what diameter are the fork legs on your 89 cr250 forks? im thinking of getting some 89 cr250 yolkes and putting in some later model forks. cheers

Hello,

Is it worth taking out the snorkel in the airbox IF I am not replacing the air filter with an aftermarket one? Just curious if using the stock filter and removing the snorkel will improve performance at all? Thanks for any help!

Hello,

Is it worth taking out the snorkel in the airbox IF I am not replacing the air filter with an aftermarket one? Just curious if using the stock filter and removing the snorkel will improve performance at all? Thanks for any help!

Absolutly ! You will need to go up to a 115 main. Take out the diffuser also. If too loud find a 1983 ATC250R diffuser. The Diffuser is sometimes called the baffle.

Dwight

In a previous post I said the 81-83 XR200R had a 6volt AC lighting system with a 25wat headlight and a tail light. I modded mine by replacing the tail light with a Baja Design LED tail/brake light, a 12volt 25 watt Hi/Lo headlight and a MSR 12volt regulator (from TT). I switched to 12 volts because 6 volt bulbs are very difficult to find, the LED tail light draw much less power than the standard taillight leaving more power for the headlight. I needed the AC regulator to ccontrol the voltage because without the tail light the voltage would go above 16 volts and burn out the bulbs.

So my 6volt system runs 12 volt bulbs.

The 81-83 XR200R alternator is internally grounded and has only two output leads; one for the CDI unit and one for the lights. 86 and on have three wires out; one for the CDI and two for the lights because the lighting coils are floating ground.

86 XR200Rs and on all used the same flywheels.

86-93 used the same stator

94-02 used a different stator.

86-93 also used an AC regulator.

89-02 had no headlight or tail light, but they had lighting coils in the alternator.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1